What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH won't fully start-up, thoughts?

yardgrazer

Hello,

I bought a CMH lamp and bulb a month or so back, and so far everything's been going swimmingly. Last night I went out to the grow room around 5:45, and the lamp was out. Seemed weird, because it should be on for at least another hour, but I didn't think too much of it.

Went down this morning at 6:45, timer hadn't quite come on yet but I nudged it and the ballast buzzed, and the lamp did its initially attempting to light, and went out.

I've tried unplugging it and waiting and plugging it back in, same issue. Tried different power outlets that I know to work, same problem.

Unfortunately we're due for rain today, so putting the girls outside isn't really an option due to prime botrytis conditions. I hooked up my really old MH set-up for now, so girls are safe, but any thoughts as to what might be going on?

It's a Phillips bulb. Going to go fiddle with it in a little while, but reckoned I'd see if anyone has any ideas in the meantime. Shop I bought it from is kinda far away and it seems ridiculous that I'd be running into ballast problems already... maybe it's the bulb?

Last edited:

elanius

Veteran
hey man,

i have 400w Phillips CMH, had a problem with buzzing ballast and weird light output. The ballast was old, bought a new one and problem solved. Maybe check that out

yardgrazer

Hmm, yeah, I have a bad feeling it's the ballast, what with it working fine yesterday during the day (I like to check in a few times a day), and then was out at night.

Just sucks because it's basically a brand new ballast, and I don't really overwhelmingly want to deal with the warranty so soon. I'll call that shop later I guess.

yardgrazer

PS: May well be I can find the receipt, but this may be one of the few times when I'm glad I didn't pay with cash, so I do have a record of a purchase on a given date. I imagine they'll make good.

yardgrazer

I dunno what's going on, but I tried removing and reseating the bulb (Which frankly doesn't seem to seat the way I think it should? Not as firmly seated as a threaded bulb) and plugged it in... and it seemed to start normally.

Maybe something with the power supply? Bad cycling-protector?

I'll keep an eye on it.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Likely that the igniter is on its' way out. If you are still using the core and coil hps (S51) ballast and 400w retro bulb from Philips, I would suggest changing out to the newer designs when you can.

Igniter on the way out, or a bulb not meant for that fixture can also cause problems. Even after working for a month. I would lean to a bad bulb causing problems, because ballast should last a long time.

yardgrazer

It did come as a package (it was a one piece ballast/reflector and came with the bulb in the box, as described on the box).

Klompen

99% of the time this happens it is because of a capacitor. Either the cap is too old or simply wasn't the right size for CMH.

Azeotrope

Veteran
The igniter used for 250w/400w is usually the same size/rating and good for about 3' of lead from the igniter to the socket. Heat is their #1 enemy.

yardgrazer

I took a look at it yesterday... started up ok, flickered once or twice, then went out. Wasn't on for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

Hopefully covered under warranty.

argo430

Veteran
I had one doing that and eventually it didn't fire turns out i had my lights longer than i thought and the bulb needed replaced.

yardgrazer

Except I purchased it at the beginning of September and ran it 12/12 up until a week ago or so when it started being weird.

Need to bring it back I think, going to check one last possibility.

St. Phatty

Because of fire issues, I would be real cautious about trusting a dicey ballast.

Home Depot has a $100 LED light fixture, about the size of an old 3 light fluoro but way more output.

If your main light is dicey it wouldn't hurt to have a back-up, if the back-up has the right color temperature and enough Oomph light-wise to hopefully help the plants stay in their day-night flowering cycle.

If you were my neighbor I would just loan you a 600 or 400 HPS.

Re the ballast
I would prepare to replace it AND it wouldn't hurt to take the cover off. There might be something obvious, e.g. a connector come off or burned.

yardgrazer

Still haven't dealt with it, keep meaning to double check that it's the ballast and not the electrical connection to that building by plugging it in somewhere else (I tried hooking up an old T5 setup earlier in the year and it kept tripping the circuit, probably that lamp that's the problem, but you never know... although the connection was an issue it would have to be something that bothered the T5 and CMH but not an old magnetic ballasted cheapo MH).

That and I'll need to bring it back to the shop I got it at if it's a warranty issue, and it's a bit of a hike and I haven't had the time. I will get to it soon, will update if there's anything worth telling.

Latest posts

Latest posts