What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding early flowering strains

kasvi

This thread is for talking about breeding strains that flower early.
I start this thread with following question: "Why early flowering trait doesn't follow mendelian model?"

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You are talking semi auto flowering strains.

I'm not sure why you would want that. The world of auto flower has come so far with plenty of good choices out there.

I guess if I was dead set on that I would select for the trait and try to lock it in.

N

NewAgeGenetics

Autoflowering strains are flowering immediately because of the ruderalis.

I think in this thread we are looking for real early flowering strains or we can call them to "semi autoflowering" strains. They are not autoflowering btw just react very fast for the shorter light hours after june 21. and they start to flower in mid July or max in the first days of August.

what start to flower later, like mid August, those strains are not early / semi autos.

These early strains are very good for outdoors because they can finish in September or max the first days of October and not contains any ruderalis so they can grow to decent sizes and the potency is excellent. they can finish before the cold weather comes with the rains and frosts.

and I'm not talkin about HFH strains.

kasvi

You are talking semi auto flowering strains.

I'm not sure why you would want that. The world of auto flower has come so far with plenty of good choices out there.

I guess if I was dead set on that I would select for the trait and try to lock it in.
Is that their real name? Where I came from we call them earlys.

You can clone them, they usualy yield better than autoflowers and can be flowered at 60 degrees north or more. I am not sure where it is too north to grow them.

N

NewAgeGenetics

autoflowering strains are ruderalis crosses, they are totally automatic (ready to harvest 70 days after germination).

semi autoflowering = early flowering strains are not automatic ruderalis crosses, just very photoperiod sensitive strains. they react fast with flowering to longer nights = less light hours every day after the Summer solstice (June 21. the shortest night).

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Brickland and Guerrilla Gold also contain early flowering genetics.

I've started this process also and am at the first cross stage. I have seed from a cross of brickland and GG plants, which flowered only when given a couple hours of dark each night. The autoflower versions were done and gone by this time.

I also have pollen from the males of this run, all mixed. Wondering if it's actually of any value in helping stabilize the early genetic trait.

I'm new to breeding, though I apparently make good seed quality. ;) This is my first project and the goal is a stable early flowering strain.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I crossed a NLD (Cherry Malawi) to a WLD (Sugarberry) and so far 1 in 4 plants flowers early. I'm not positive where the trait came from since both plants seemed to flower normally at my lat.

I'm not sure if the trait can be locked in if the plants are breed outdoors at lower lattitudes.
I would tend to think that the plants would eventually acclimate to a later, in the season, flowering period. Indoors or at high lattitudes, I believe a person could do it easily.

I was gifted some heirloom seed by a gentleman from above 50N & I have to keep them under 24 hrs light to prevent them from flowering.

kasvi

Brickland and Guerrilla Gold also contain early flowering genetics.

I've started this process also and am at the first cross stage. I have seed from a cross of brickland and GG plants, which flowered only when given a couple hours of dark each night. The autoflower versions were done and gone by this time.

I also have pollen from the males of this run, all mixed. Wondering if it's actually of any value in helping stabilize the early genetic trait.

I'm new to breeding, though I apparently make good seed quality. ;) This is my first project and the goal is a stable early flowering strain.
Sounds interesting project. Do you have pics of those plants?
I dont know why pollen from those earlys would not help with stabilizing early trait if it is from early flowering males.
At what light cycle they did flower?

I am going to do my first breeding project this year also with some early males and indoor females.
I am going to try to find good females from following seeds:
(Number behind name is number of seeds I am going to use)
-Ace tropical mix 30
-Cannabiogen mix 30
-White lotus 8
-Sky lotus 8
-Jabba's stash 9
-Satori 10
-8 Miles high 10
-Krystalica 10
-Mandala #1 10
Males I try to find from these seeds:
-Early wonder skunk 15
-Early mix (Thyphoon, Nepal, Royal dane, Danish Passion, Pehkuthyphoon) 40
-Leb 27 V2 15
-SUPER07 mix 15
-Royal dane 15
I am thinking about buying 4 of 2 x 2 grow tents so that I can test in which light cycle plants start to flower.
They would be in 12/12, 14/10, 16/8, 18/6 and 20/4 photoperiods.
I already have one 2 x 2 grow tent and veging/mother box witch is about 1 x 2 feet.
I crossed a NLD (Cherry Malawi) to a WLD (Sugarberry) and so far 1 in 4 plants flowers early. I'm not positive where the trait came from since both plants seemed to flower normally at my lat.

I'm not sure if the trait can be locked in if the plants are breed outdoors at lower lattitudes.
I would tend to think that the plants would eventually acclimate to a later, in the season, flowering period. Indoors or at high lattitudes, I believe a person could do it easily.

I was gifted some heirloom seed by a gentleman from above 50N & I have to keep them under 24 hrs light to prevent them from flowering.
Did you try 23/1 light cycle? Does that strain have name?

Last edited:

kasvi

By the way, maybe early gene is recessive and that is why it did not show up before.

N

NewAgeGenetics

what is the genetic background of Brickland, early wonder skunk and Guerrilla Gold?

should be the "early flowering" parent in them what you look for.

its not a recessive thing, its a semi autoflowering line why they are flowering early.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds interesting project. Do you have pics of those plants?
I dont know why pollen from those earlys would not help with stabilizing early trait if it is from early flowering males.

I am going to do my first breeding project this year also with some early males and indoor females.
I am going to try to find good females from following seeds:
(Number behind name is number of seeds I am going to use)
-Ace tropical mix 30
-Cannabiogen mix 30
-White lotus 8
-Sky lotus 8
-Jabba's stash 9
-Satori 10
-8 Miles high 10
-Krystalica 10
-Mandala #1 10
Males I try to find from these seeds:
-Early wonder skunk 15
-Early mix (Thyphoon, Nepal, Royal dane, Danish Passion, Pehkuthyphoon) 40
-Leb 27 V2 15
-SUPER07 mix 15
-Royal dane 15
I am thinking about buying 4 of 2 x 2 grow tents so that I can test in which light cycle plants start to flower.
They would be in 12/12, 14/10, 16/8, 18/6 and 20/4 photoperiods.
I already have one 2 x 2 grow tent and veging/mother box witch is about 1 x 2 feet.

Did you try 23/1 light cycle? Does that strain have name?

The CHERRY BERRY started flowering almost as soon as I took them outdoors at the beginning of July @ 7000ft @ 38N. I don't know the exact daylength but that info should allow you to find out. I'm guessing around 16/8. No pics.
No I didn't try 23/1 light cycle. I don't have any reason to explore that cycle as I live around 38N & max daylength is around 16 or 17 hours. My projects are focused around my out doors climate.

Douglas.Curtis

Not exactly sure what the lineage of Brickland is. I used 20/4 lighting to induce flowering with them. So sorry, I've never really been a "pictures" kind of guy.

Douglas.Curtis

You're correct. I'm going to use the 22/2 pollen to pollinate this current sprouting of the seeds I made. I'll at least make quite a few more to search through in the future. More than handful for sure. :)

djonkoman

Veteran
flowering start+length probably don't follow mendelian schemes because it's likely not caused by a single gene. mendelian only really works when you're looking at a trait caused by a single gene.

it still inherits though, so when selecting for something like flowering time I wouldn't make exact schemes of what ratios to expect, but just select parents with the wanted charasteristics(or coming as close as possible), and just contrinue selecting like that till the wanted trait is stabilized enough

I'm also working on a strain meant for outdoors, which in my location means it has to flower early. my plan for the selection is to start forceflowering with a high amount of light(20/4 or 18/6 or so), then reduce the amount of light with a set amount each week(I'm thinking of either half an hour or a full hour), so they should start to flower in the order of the lighthours-trigger, and then when I have enough flowering(I'm thinking 25% or so) I kill everything that isn't flowering yet.

kasvi

flowering start+length probably don't follow mendelian schemes because it's likely not caused by a single gene. mendelian only really works when you're looking at a trait caused by a single gene.

it still inherits though, so when selecting for something like flowering time I wouldn't make exact schemes of what ratios to expect, but just select parents with the wanted charasteristics(or coming as close as possible), and just contrinue selecting like that till the wanted trait is stabilized enough

I'm also working on a strain meant for outdoors, which in my location means it has to flower early. my plan for the selection is to start forceflowering with a high amount of light(20/4 or 18/6 or so), then reduce the amount of light with a set amount each week(I'm thinking of either half an hour or a full hour), so they should start to flower in the order of the lighthours-trigger, and then when I have enough flowering(I'm thinking 25% or so) I kill everything that isn't flowering yet.

You are probably right about early flowering being caused by many genes. It would be cool to have someway of testing for those genes easily at home.
You have good stategy to find early flowering plants. Maybe I should think about doing same way instead of testing every plant with many different light cycles. Lot cheaper and I dont need so high plant count.
I should listen to Thule and choose only females that flower at 14/10-16/8 and male that flowers at 20/4-22/2.
So good that there is lot more experienced people here.

What genetics you are working with?

Latest posts

Latest posts