What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How cold can Mj handel?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
The weather guy in my city said its 36' tonight. my plants have till mid nivember befor harvest time. Is this to cold of a temp for the flowers? all plants r in ground btw.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I've seen frost as high as 38 degrees but I think it depends on the dew point. You can throw plastic over em at night to prevent frost or freezing should the temp get any lower between now and harvest. You can drape the plastic over a stick etc to keep it from molesting the glands.

Cold temps can slow the ripening process. But you probably still have warm enough days to finish up.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
The weather guy in my city said its 36' tonight. my plants have till mid nivember befor harvest time. Is this to cold of a temp for the flowers? all plants r in ground btw.
I have lost many a crop but if it goes down to 10 this is the lowest I have had my bud in the morning.Anything below this you can kiss it goodbuy and it will depend on the bud some fair better then others peace out Headband707:)

Cannabis easily survives sub freezing temps. Depends mostly on how cold for how long and if they were planted in pots or the ground. There will likely be no further growth, but what is there will continue to ripen.

PPp :tiphat:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
You can wrap them with the anti frost cloth on cold nights, it is exposure to the freezing wind that really harms them, when it gets down to around Zero C, 32 F.

Wet or dew covered buds can be dried nicely with a leaf blower in the mornings.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
If your plants are healthy, they can handle 36 degrees F. without even breaking a sweat!

My 2009 Calizahr (Chimera Seeds) went through 3 nights below freezing (32 deg F) in early October. The harvest date in my area for this strain is October 15th...Oct 13 and 14 dropped to 27 degrees F with the same temps being forecast for the night of the 15th.

I harvested during the day, on the 15th. The largest fan leaves were definitely curled up dead, but a lot of the interior leaves were still kicking. The buds were all fine, even after those two, very cold nights. The tips of the largest, main colas were definitely "burned". The colas were about two feet long, and the last 1 or 2 inches was burned and turned to a brown color by the frost. Once the weed was dried, and cured, there was no difference whatsoever between the undamaged and the damaged buds...the damaged ones were a little harsher, but the smoke was still grade A and just as potent as the undamaged buds.

Mid November? thats pretty late in the season. Are the plants nearby where you can cover them or even place 5 gallon jugs of boiling hot water in the garden at night...when I have to do the hot water method, I put the water jugs out there at 3 am or later, because the frost forms at dawn. The hot water jugs seem to form a dome of protection around the plants about two feet in every direction from the containers. I only do this in my backyard gardens though, it is kind of hard to haul water out into the woods at 3 am

and very spooky too!

Good Luck

Thunderbunny

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
If your plants are healthy, they can handle 36 degrees F. without even breaking a sweat!

My 2009 Calizahr (Chimera Seeds) went through 3 nights below freezing (32 deg F) in early October. The harvest date in my area for this strain is October 15th...Oct 13 and 14 dropped to 27 degrees F with the same temps being forecast for the night of the 15th.

I harvested during the day, on the 15th. The largest fan leaves were definitely curled up dead, but a lot of the interior leaves were still kicking. The buds were all fine, even after those two, very cold nights. The tips of the largest, main colas were definitely "burned". The colas were about two feet long, and the last 1 or 2 inches was burned and turned to a brown color by the frost. Once the weed was dried, and cured, there was no difference whatsoever between the undamaged and the damaged buds...the damaged ones were a little harsher, but the smoke was still grade A and just as potent as the undamaged buds.

Mid November? thats pretty late in the season. Are the plants nearby where you can cover them or even place 5 gallon jugs of boiling hot water in the garden at night...when I have to do the hot water method, I put the water jugs out there at 3 am or later, because the frost forms at dawn. The hot water jugs seem to form a dome of protection around the plants about two feet in every direction from the containers. I only do this in my backyard gardens though, it is kind of hard to haul water out into the woods at 3 am

and very spooky too!

Good Luck

Thunderbunny
thanks for the jug idea Ill have to try this.
thanks to all who stoped by to give there thoughts. sounds like my plants will be fine.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Cannabis easily survives sub freezing temps. Depends mostly on how cold for how long and if they were planted in pots or the ground. There will likely be no further growth, but what is there will continue to ripen.

Well again I think it might depend on the bud lol.. I have had bud that made it through a winter in BC .. yeah it was a pretty mild winter but it did regenerate the next year which really surprise the shit out of me when I seen the thing growing again lol. It was Pink Skunk as I can remember . Then I had a thia die at 10 degrees so I do believe it's the type of bud or even perhaps the conditions ect. that might determine this. Altitude will play a big role here...There are certian breds that do better in the great white north but that doesn't mean they are great bud lol peace out Headband707:)

#1cheesebuds

Veteran

OK so the flowers did fine. now the weather guy says its gunna get down to 37 by midnight which is in like an hour. I wanted to take the ladies to nivember 15th to 18th so they can fully ripen.

eastbeast

I had some great white sharks that survived multiple frosts and were absolutely fine while my saliva based opiums died after like two.... While it could have been some unknown grow factor, i think it's genetics

smokefrogg

Veteran
this is getting me kind of paranoid, i put out so many mini clones a few weeks ago, almost all strains that'd handle pm just fine from the cold and the wet, but if it gets close to freezing i don't think they'd fair too well since they're all sativas for the most part, might need to drag them in now hmmmmmm

Mr Cheesebuds:

Did your plants make it through to the 18th or did you have to harvest earlier than that?

Again, cannabis plants laugh at 37 degrees...that is not even below freezing yet, so they would be fine!

Hope everything came out OK for ya

Good Luck

Thunderbunny