What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gas light lighting method

Robbie vapez

Have read a few threads on this. I am thinking about going this way to save power and heat, anyone been doing it lately with good results?

Robbie vapez

I thought about just running 12 hours hps in veg and supplying another 6 hours on low wattage lights to get it done. It would involve another timer and light....pain in the arse

DrDee

Hi Robbie,
No experience but I do have interest. It could be a way to save power...or maybe redistribute power into the bloom room.

Man I know "pain in the ass" well. I wanted to run a 315w cdm in my garden and bought the Philips ballast. Only runs on 220v so I had to install new 220v line and timer.

But any experimentation with lights and lighting involves timers and such. I also am running some l higher intensity light for a shorter period...like 8 hours of HID along with 12 hours of LED Lots of options.

Hope others will chime in.
Later,
JD

Streft

Glr works great. Just as fast as 18/6 imo. If your still using HID lighting it will save u electricity but at the cost of shorter bulb life from igniting more. Led growers I see no reason why your not using the GLR light cycle it would extend an already long life span of the led's. I've been using GLR exclusively in veg for last two years minus the three months I had an autoflower in the tent and that was 18/6. Only difference I see is on GLR it seems the plant tries to "grow harder" putting more energy into growth tips and slightly more stretch but works for me cause I scrog if your not scrogging and want more bush (haha bush) 18/6 is more your friend. No hermies no forced flower no bs that u hear ppl talking abt GLR and I've grown a fair amount of different strains from super lemon haze (mostly sativa) to 8 ball kush (pure indica) and some in between all the same haven't hit one yet that didn't like it. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

DrDee

if you want more bush

Hell ya...I always want more bush.

Hey what do you think of Robbie's idea of using a different (low wattage) light for the little short cycle. Rather then restarting HID. Shouldn't matter...right?
JD

Streft

Any light even like a 9w led bulb from the grocery store would work. Wouldn't take much to break the hormonal build up of the dark cycle.
Side note the GLR does not reduce the stretch during flower. GLR will reduce the time to budset once u remove the one hour on, always have little buds by day 10 from flip. Just my observations.

Streft

What's GLR?

GLR= gas lantern routine it's original setup is 12 hours of light 5.5 hrs dark 1 hr light 5.5 hrs dark

This is a light routine that lowers the amount of light to just 13 hrs a day yet keeps the plant in veg. Lower electric bill and growth on par with any other cycle. It was originally done with outside crops to keep plants from flowering and they used yep u guessed it gas lanterns. It's basically the opposite of light depravation greenhouses. GLR is quite useful with an indoor garden.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Changing the intensity of lighting for 6 hours out of 18/6 schedule is not considered gas lamp lighting. That is a normally lit veg cycle.

Anyway, true Gas Lamp Lighting works well to keep plants in a vegetative state. I've used it in the past and had zero problems under T5 lights. It's what I use to get my vegetative starts in the spring.

I can't say absolutely positively but I think sex shows a bit quicker under the Gas lamp routine as well.

Streft

I can't say absolutely positively but I think sex shows a bit quicker under the Gas lamp routine as well.

That's interesting, makes sense. I haven't grown from seed in a while so I can't add anything to that.
With the flowering hormones elevated from glr makes sense they would show sex earlier.

DrDee

Changing the intensity of lighting for 6 hours out of 18/6 schedule is not considered gas lamp lighting. That is a normally lit veg cycle.

Streft was merely responding to my question...whether the short light cycle needs to be of any specific intensity. We are all talking about the same thing. It seems like a win win light cycle to me.
JD

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Seems interesting, but how do you reset after a power failure.

My timer allows for this method, I may just try it.

DrDee

Seems interesting, but how do you reset after a power failure.

I would just have to reset the correct time...trippers remain unchanged...as with most timers.

I doubt that you would be able to re-veg a plant under this lighting. But that's a fairly infrequent occurrence for me.
JD

Miraculous Meds

I had some pre flower at 12/1, so I went with 12/2. Another spin I use off this tech is to run every other veg light 12/12, so theres no dark cycle, but your running half the wattage.