What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is so bad about Miracle Gro?

LUDACRIS

Veteran
Thanks for this great advice.

That is all i am trying to do. Mix up a soil with amendments already in it that i only need to feed water from start to finish. This is my first grow, i want it simple as possible. Now i am worried about my final product feeding on cow & pig parts in my soil and people smoking heavy minerals or something.

Why not just buy some soil. Top soil is not expensive but very effective.

Vermonster

I friggen love pro mix, a lil worm castings....i will tell you one thing, i mistakenly uses some MG soil w time release chem ferts in it, and it was almost a disater...not sure how i missed that one. Have learned not to settle for products when the ones you want are hard to locate....

LUDACRIS

Veteran
I friggen love pro mix, a lil worm castings....i will tell you one thing, i mistakenly uses some MG soil w time release chem ferts in it, and it was almost a disater...not sure how i missed that one. Have learned not to settle for products when the ones you want are hard to locate....

True True..........

barnyard

MG is an easy route to go that's for sure. Some potting soil, a little lime, some MG and botta boom botta bing you're growing.

But MG is petro chemical based, it is not very forgiving (its easy to overdo it) and it does not feed the soil. These facts mean MG is not sustainable.

Remember the old adage: "feed the soil not the plant"

If you want cheap and easy go with pro mix potting soil or sunshine potting soil amended with around 25% compost ~ now you're growing organically! Your buds will taste better, its easier to recycle you're soil and there's a lot less danger for nute burn. Plus, you're not supporting big oil companies!

VERMI

why not? all you need is a simple diy ebb/flow, your basic 3 or 2 part nutes, lights, and ventilation. also tds/ph meters and ph up and down and your set. way cheaper then soil in my experience.:jump:

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
this thing of FF using old soil.. What do they do drive around and ask people do you grow mj and use FF and can we have it back to recycle and sell back to you? where did this come from a snob who had a bad experience with FF? If they are recycling it they are doing a kick ass job. peace n pufs.

sackO

LUDACRIS

Veteran
MG is an easy route to go that's for sure. Some potting soil, a little lime, some MG and botta boom botta bing you're growing.

But MG is petro chemical based, it is not very forgiving (its easy to overdo it) and it does not feed the soil. These facts mean MG is not sustainable.

Remember the old adage: "feed the soil not the plant"

If you want cheap and easy go with pro mix potting soil or sunshine potting soil amended with around 25% compost ~ now you're growing organically! Your buds will taste better, its easier to recycle you're soil and there's a lot less danger for nute burn. Plus, you're not supporting big oil companies!
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry but thats quite funny.
(no offence intended).

VERMI

depending on what soil you use, you have to buy alot of additive for it. # for # hydro is way cheaper. dont make it harder than what it is.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
why not? all you need is a simple diy ebb/flow, your basic 3 or 2 part nutes, lights, and ventilation. also tds/ph meters and ph up and down and your set. way cheaper then soil in my experience.:jump:

Hydro vs. Organic

Added by: glass joe
GROWFAQ

I have to respectfully disagree that hydroponics will yield higher than organics. There is a difference between growth rate and the yield. Because something grows faster does not mean it yields more in the same space. If you factor in time for veg growth, hydroponics will have the edge in yield. If you have a separate veg area, that timing issue is irrelevant.

Having greater aromatics is a matter of opinion and relative to growing skill and methods. When done correctly, organics (organic nutrients, soilless mixes) produce buds that smell just as strong as those grown hydroponically. I will concede that hydro-grown plants do have a slightly faster growth rate, but to solidly state that they yield more overall, I believe is misleading.

The reason that I switched to organics was because I didn't see enough difference in either growth or anything else to warrant the need for so much monitoring and expensive meters and nutrients. I think that the only provable plus to hydroponics is growth rate.Whereas the cons are chemical aftertaste in the flavour of buds, extreme susceptibility to over/under fertilization, very high initial investment, many things to break and clog, etc.

If grown in a nice airy organic soil mix and watered with good organic amendments, growth enhancers and beneficial fungi (mycorrhizae), you will easily compete with that of a hydroponic system. Your end result will be full flavored, non-chemical tasting buds. They can be arguably, slightly more potent due to the fact that, as of now, science cannot compete with Mother Nature and naturally occurring elements.

Bottom line - unless you are obsessed with fittings, toys and technology (and many are) organics can grow nearly as fast, just as big (if not bigger), better tasting and IMHO more potent buds. And they do this with very little initial investment, and are very forgiving of newbie mistakes.

sackoweed

Veteran
when people over do it, its cos they are new, and they want that shit to grow hurry grow.. and they pick at their plants and think more i must do more to make these plants grow. so in goes more nutes, more frequent waterings, and then some more nutes.. and then they are on here doing a thread about HELP i burned my plants what do i do? Less is more, Less is more, Less is more... k.i.s.s. peace n pufs..

sackO

Do a test. Go to Home depot and then compare the MG to the FFOF. Fox Farm is peat based and has everything advertised in it, tHats why it runs $20 for 1.5 cubic feet.
I did this test recently and ALL the soils at Home Depot including 2 kinds of MG were all wood and barely any perlite or anything else added, if anything pure peat...
FF has oyster shells, castings, all kinds of stuff. It's apples and oranges, look closer..

F

feral

Farfard's professional potting mix, some Espoma Garden Tone (3-4-4) and some Lime. Your good to go. Top dress once a month or so with the Espoma nutes. Espoma is pure organic and that along with Farfards can be bought at most nurseries. Stay away from the hydro stores, etc. To many under LEO's eyes in one way or another.

sackoweed

Veteran
lol in about 5 minutes you have at least 6-7 different ideas and ways to go.. all very different.. get ready for stress levels at 10... lmfao... peace n pufs.. from soil to hydro and all you wanted was some feedback about 1 specific soil.. lol... good luck..

sackO

F

feral

lol in about 5 minutes you have at least 6-7 different ideas and ways to go.. all very different.. get ready for stress levels at 10... lmfao... peace n pufs.. from soil to hydro and all you wanted was some feedback about 1 specific soil.. lol... good luck..

sackO

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Ain't it the truth. If you want a guaranteed way to start a fight and/or cause chaos on these boards, starting talking about soil.

VERMI

sackO
lol

Latest posts

Latest posts