Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > You Can Have Maximum Yield --AND-- Maximum Quality in Every Harvest

Thread Title Search
View Poll Results: Is it Possible to Have Both? What Do YOU Believe?
You can have both maximum yield and maximum quality 14 45.16%
Maximum quality requires sacrificing at least a small % of yield 14 45.16%
Small rocks can fall if dropped 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

You Can Have Maximum Yield --AND-- Maximum Quality in Every Harvest Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 PM #1
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
You Can Have Maximum Yield --AND-- Maximum Quality in Every Harvest

I don't believe you can have maximum yield for your wattage... AND maximum quality possible for your strain. In my experience the two are mutually exclusive.

In my opinion, you can have great yields of excellent quality, while you lose some of the extreme quality.

What's your opinion?
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 PM #2
CannaRed
Cannabinerd

CannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant future
I kinda look at it as your plant is only gonna produce X amount of trichomes.
When you increase flower yield you are mostly just increasing the space between those trichomes.

Not sure if that's true with every strain. That's just how I think about it

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 AM #3
englishrick
Plumber/Builder

englishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant future
I'm hoping to improve both from the point I'm at now,, but I have made a mistake for ages using a hps to veg in pre flower,, years ago I was a solid mh to hps bulb switcher but I got lazy,, i now see I can limit stalk groth and increase bud yeald with a few tweeks

i have my feeding tech down to a T,,, but my lighting was letting things stretch

My yealds have been horrible for yeald since 2010 and I just stopped switching bulbs, i have definitely had a serious lesson in yeald over the past few years,, blue is a godsend for yeald and I've noticed better terpenoids using blue and purple too

I found my method stops leaf production and increases stalk length,, but leaves can taste good so I've decided to let them grow less steam and more leaves

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 AM #4
NEW ENGLAND

NEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud ofNEW ENGLAND has much to be proud of
I think I would have a better chance at achieving both if you could swing by weekly.lol
That's actually a compliment D.C I have read some of your posts in various threads,I'll admit you are above my pay grade with your obvious knowledge of plants.
NEW ENGLAND is online now Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 AM #5
englishrick
Plumber/Builder

englishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant futureenglishrick has a brilliant future
It depends what your target goal is,, thc production,, terp production per kg,, calax only,, leafy,, etc,, some weed like to be a lil leafy like Hindu kush

Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 AM #6
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
I don't believe you can have maximum yield for your wattage... AND maximum quality possible for your strain. In my experience the two are mutually exclusive.

In my opinion, you can have great yields of excellent quality, while you lose some of the extreme quality.

What's your opinion?

Such an interesting point of view.

In my grows, the phenos do what they do with the
parameters dictated by the lights, nutes and temps,
pot size and length of veg time.

Some genetics express maximum characteristics
under the set regime while others not so much.

Lesser yielding types, I just flower more of them to
yield the grams I want.

I'm not going to reinvent process to increase yield
in lesser plants at the expense of the mean.

Good thread!

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 AM #7
englishrick
Plumber/Builder

I have found cookies to be rather a challenging plant to grow as it doesn't like phosphorus or potassium,, optimum flavor is a really important subject

Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 AM #8
GOT_BUD?

GOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant future
I was listening to a podcast where they discussed this very thing.

I don't recall who it was, but in their opinion, yes, maximum quality does sacrifice a small percentage of yield.

I do remember he was a big living soil guy, and was working with Gold Leaf in WA I believe.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 AM #9
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Appreciate everyone sharing, it's definitely a subject with a lot of variables.

The clarification of what your goals are is a very good point, englishrick. While I made the post from the standpoint of a smoker, the answer is probably different for oil. Can you make maximum oil weight, and oil quality at once? Something tells me this might be an easier goal than maximum yield and superior smoking quality.

Keep in mind, my opinion is also that **most** tokers/growers have not experienced extreme quality. I'd say quite a bit more than average between icmaggers though, there's some seriously taaasty looking flowers being posted here regularly. I'd give this poll on icmag a bit more weight than from other demographics.

CannaRed, this is my philosophy as well. We're creating a carpet under the trichomes, and I want to smoke as little carpet as possible. lol If I could grow a network of trichomes without plant... I'd do it.

englishrick, I'm a big fan of switching spectrums at different stages... just never had the equipment to do so before. LEDs are making this a reality for more growers. The taste thing is definitely affected by pushing for yield, at least in my opinion.

NEW_ENGLAND, greatly appreciate the words, and I would if I could ya know. I look forward to the opportunity to trade some day.

Dropped_Cat, you make good points for your style. So you're looking more for strains/phenos which really like your environment as is. Have you thought about the spectrum shifting capability LEDs bring to the table?

GOT_BUD? That's interesting... if you find the link in your history I'd love to listen as well. Ty.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 AM #10
mean mr.mustard
I Pass Satellites

Location: Overturning Pebbles and Upending All the Animals Alight
mean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivor
Wholeheartedly agree with you Douglas.

The problem is either genetic or simply forcing events by environmental factors.

It seems like if I can finish a great strain outdoors I can sometimes get the best of both worlds...

But I never cover my ladies from rain so I doubt that quality is better than indoor runs of the same cut, yet it does seem better to me quite often.
mean mr.mustard is offline Quote