What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone happy with their Air Pots

bigAl25

Veteran
I switched to 3 gallon air root pruning flower pots two grows ago when I was doing autos. I have switched back to fem photo period seeds now. These air pots are a pain in the ass to work with. Has anyone made the switch to these and noticed an increased yield? I'm so frustrated that I ordered regular plastic 3 gallon pots on Amazon. They won't be as wide and will be easier to move around under the lights. Hell even a 12 inch plastic pot tray is not big enough to fit correctly under these things.

G

Very happy with air-pots. Similar function to fabric bags, but rigid. I use 1 gallon in coco DTW.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Used them a lot. In the beginning i did some side by side with normal pots and fabric bags.

In the airpods the plants got bushier and about 10% plus yield. But the fattest mainbud i got from normal pots. They did what they should, all of the soil had a lot of fine roots in it, more than in the normal pots.
The fabric bags where some what between. I got better results from the airpot than the fabric bags but with the same effort so i never used them again.

But the biggest but is that the airpots are a real pain in the ass to use. Need more watering, soil is always quite compact (you have to shake em to fully fill) and watering took longer because the soil got real dry at the edge.
I think with blumat they might work well but never tried.

I have not been using them for the last 3 years since i skiped to notill water only. Before watering was at least 2h now its fill up my watetbucket and empty it in my growbucket.
I am thinking about incorporating some of the airpot in my growbucket because they have an impact on how much the soil is rooted.
Like make them hempy style with the airpot profile as overflow and about 2-3" below soil surface.

delerious

I hated the gap on the bottom. With regular pots, the overflow in the tray would wick back up into the soil as long as I didn't go overboard, while the water under the airpots just sits there. A royal pain if you're doing a scrog and lifting the pot isn't practical.

I

Insomniac420

I have seen roots in airports & smart pots.
& both looked better than normal plastic pots
I don't no if they increase yield. But I read jorge
Cervantes said it would increase yield.
I will do a side by side to see if they perform
Any better than plastic pots

bigAl25

Veteran
A big thanks to all who have used them and outlined their pros and cons. This helps educate us on improving our growing techniques.

Siever

Veteran
Used them a lot. In the beginning i did some side by side with normal pots and fabric bags.

In the airpods the plants got bushier and about 10% plus yield. But the fattest mainbud i got from normal pots. They did what they should, all of the soil had a lot of fine roots in it, more than in the normal pots.
The fabric bags where some what between. I got better results from the airpot than the fabric bags but with the same effort so i never used them again.

But the biggest but is that the airpots are a real pain in the ass to use. Need more watering, soil is always quite compact (you have to shake em to fully fill) and watering took longer because the soil got real dry at the edge.
I think with blumat they might work well but never tried.

I have not been using them for the last 3 years since i skiped to notill water only. Before watering was at least 2h now its fill up my watetbucket and empty it in my growbucket.
I am thinking about incorporating some of the airpot in my growbucket because they have an impact on how much the soil is rooted.
Like make them hempy style with the airpot profile as overflow and about 2-3" below soil surface.

I use them with soil and water them almost as I water other pots.

I

Insomniac420

I would use normal plastic pots. Airpots are
A pain to water imo. My local grow shop has them but doesn't recommend them

RawNature

quicker wet/dry cycle faster growth right? i like the airpots since they stay off the ground and can water from the bottom if you have them in a tray. biggest ones i have are only the # 1 tho so during flower i just unzipptied it and put it in a 5 gallon w.o any transplant shock.

RawNature

also take into account if you want more humidity to your room airpots and fabric pots would probly help. let me know what you think about that though. opinions?

F2F

w.o any transplant shock.

^^^last few years I’ve been starting my plants in airpots destined for OD guerilla patch. Although subjective, the growth seems to explode immediately after transplant - presumably due to zero shock and a fuller more prominent root system.

Peace
F2F

ridoo

use them some years ago, the 3L ones, with coco and hand watering, and it was a bad idea... i use lots of vents in my closet where it's often a little to dry... so the rootballs in the airpot dry very fast and it was very baaad, plus the shape they use make them kind of boring to place under the light compare to casual square containers....
but i guess that with automated watering it could be something workable...
now i use casual containers in which i make more holes with my knife, kind of DIY airpot....

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
also take into account if you want more humidity to your room airpots and fabric pots would probly help. let me know what you think about that though. opinions?
Can't vouch for the smart pots as I use cloth pots, but yes, a great way to raise RH if you are having difficulties.

Roadblock

Ive used airpots and fabric pots, Im actually liking normal plastic pots with holes drilled around the bottom of the base side about an inch or two up and put a paint strainer liner net bag in the pot and fill with coco, seems to have a better water holding and also the roots get caught in the strainer netting and have the same brancing effect as an airpot as the strainer gives a slight air space between the pot and the coco and doesnt allow spiraling.

Latest posts

Latest posts