What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant age to start Scrog?

dddaver

Veteran
Probably sort of dependent on a lot of things like strain, environment, grow media, etc. But is there any rule of thumb? Because I have no idea when to start the Scrog..

For this grow I decided not to LST, just Scrog, as in my thinking, you are doing basically the same thing.

This grow is in a 2'x2' tent under two LED lights (a 100W quantum and what Mars Hydro said was 300W but it's WAY weaker), The grow medium is in 3-two gallon grow bags in amended reused soil starting with FF Ocean Forest, but have been amended using more perlite, rice hulls, seaweed, alfalfa, EWC, blood meal, bone meal, and bat guano.

The plants are 5 weeks in veg and just re-potted yesterday into the 2 gallon cloth pots.

Two plants are healthy, maybe 5-8 nodes. About a foot tall. One plant's a runt, but is coming around. So when, and about how high, should I set up the Scrog screen? I bet these plants would only get maybe 3.5 feet tall if left to grow with no screen while under those kinda weak lights.

MedFaced

My space is 6ft tall. The light takes up about 6-8 inches. I need at least 12-18inches between light and canopy. So roughly the top two feet need to be saved. My containers are about a foot tall. So that leaves me with 3ft of plant height to plan for.

So, I hang my net about two feet off the ground. Topping is a SCROGs best friend. Then i just basically fill it out as they grow, bending and tucking as needed. Once my screen is around 2/3 fullish, I flip to 12/12 and continue to spread them out until I cant.

This way, I've been averaging 1lbs dry weight in a 3x3x6 space growing out two plants at a time.

RB56

Veteran
Whether you top or not depends on how many plants you want to run. I generally top a few times and flower 4 plants on a 54"² screen. If I'm pheno hunting, I may run 8 plants and not top them. Could theoretically fill a screen with one plant.

Plants I grow are narrow leaf and want to be 12 feet tall. Sounds like you are running something more compact. I place the first screen when I switch to 12/12 and train the plant to that during stretch. Then I usually need to add one or two more screens t control height. First time through, I make my best guess for screen height and see how it goes. SCROG is like anything else - easier once you've done it a few times.

Cactus Wes

Nepal Jam

Nepal Jam

2 weeks into flower fold those branches down 90° with a scrog net.
picture.php

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85214&pictureid=2107898

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
That one plant is sure trying to fill the tent! Beautiful!

I am in class... Cactus Wes I hope you show us your progress. I think I may be over-complicating things here. That is clean simplicity defined. Is it a 4 x 4?

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Yes.. Like it. Nets actually on the pot. You can't get lower than that.

I'm training them from birth. Sometimes they go upwards in a cramped veg area, then get leveled once in the flower space. I see no absolute calendar period though. It's when you are ready. My 4" high cuts are already topped with 6 dedicated side branches to spread out. I will let them come up, to remain the 6 mains. Then spread them as soon as the net needs filling. Which is generally the start of flower. Any earlier and the middle of the plant will come up and attempt to be the top.

Latest posts

Latest posts