What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Safe is Your Vape? – The Science behind Vaping and Its Ingredients

shawn.hamilton

29-How-Safe-is-Your-Vape.jpg

The rise in the use of electronic cigarettes in recent years has been greeted with a mixed reaction in various quarters. At the outset, they were seen as something of a temporary fad, a gadget, and likely viewed by the all-powerful titans of the cigarette industry as something that would fade as quickly as the last hazy cloud of cigarette smoke-induced by your favorite household brand name.

This has certainly not been, and now, as more and more take up the “hobby” of vaping, research continues into the possible impact of e-cigarette use and specifically the long-term effects of some of the more potent chemical ingredients besides nicotine. Here we will examine the issue in more depth and try to understand both the positive and negative surrounding this relatively new industry.

The Surge in Popularity of Vaping
The earliest form of e-cigarette was conceptualized in 1963 with a patent granted in 1965. The efforts of Herbert Gilbert did not come to fruition, however, thanks in the most part to the popularity of smoking. It was not until 2004 that the first e-cigarette as we now know them was released onto the Chinese domestic market, slowly trickling to the rest of the world.

Although difficult to pinpoint when this trickle of popularity became a flood, there are now more than 40 million vapers, and an industry worth more than $20 billion globally. This flood of wealth has of course attracted the once skeptical giants of the smoking industry to become involved. The like of British American Tobacco, among others, is now a strong force within the sector.

With this popularity comes scrutiny. That entails scrutiny from governing bodies and health organizations, although in many cases this produces paradoxical results. Even e-cigarette smoking contains a certain amount of nicotine and other potentially harmful chemicals. These chemicals include the solvents used within the electronic devices, such as propylene glycol. This is the main chemical in many vapes, and coming closely under the microscope after much recent research pointed to potentially harmful effects, and reactions.

Such research has also been balanced by positive publicity from other high authority sources, such as a recent endorsement by Public Health England for e-cigarettes to be made available on prescription to assist those quitting smoking, and a political group report, also in the UK, which called for vaping in public places and on transport to be allowed.

The Positive Impact
As mentioned, aside from the negative press, the rise of vaping has seen many positive impacts around the world. Millions of smokers have attested to the helpful role which e-cigarettes have played in their decision and perseverance to quit smoking, and there is little doubt that it is certainly much less harmful to vape than a puff on traditional cigarettes. Research has shown the reduction in harm to be as much as 95%.

This is a natural benefit with a knock-on impact on the use of health services among other social factors too. Besides the debate about the possible harmful effects of vaping in public spaces thanks to secondhand smoke, nobody can disagree that it is proportionately less harmful than smoking cigarettes both first and second hand. Thanks in a large part to the legalization of cannabis in many global locations, there has also been a corresponding rise in demand for vaping related oils and items including CBD vape oils. This can only contribute in a positive way given the many uses of CBD oils.

The Chemicals in Your e-Cigarette
Many of the issues which have concerned vapers and wider society center on the chemicals within your vape. This means, not only nicotine, which is still present in many vapes, levels much decided by the vaper themselves. This, whilst we have already outlined is concerning, though at least the negative impact is vastly reduced on smoking. Where the real source of worry comes from is other chemicals used in your vape liquids. This predominantly refers to propylene glycol, a solvent used in the mixing of your favorite vape juices. Until now, this has not been an issue, however recent research has unearthed some worrying information.

Propylene glycol is the dominant chemical inside your e-cigarette, and new research suggests this is the chemical which could be having a detrimental impact on your health when vaping. Although little is still known about the exact effects which this chemical has on the human body, it is quite clear that particularly with some flavors, the chemical has a reaction with other chemicals in the vape to create other chemical and compounds which could result in harm.

That said, the FDA has already approved these flavors and juices for consumption, although with thousands of flavors on the current market, the general consensus is that more research should be done to establish the real impact of vaping on users and those around them. More detailed research recently carried out demonstrated the buildup of three mutation-inducing chemicals: formaldehyde, acrolein, and methylglyoxal. These chemicals present the worrying possibility of cancers, although it is vital not to read too much into this information since there exist a variety of conflicting reports, coupled with the fact that almost everything we do in life has been discovered to promote the growth of cancer cells and carcinogenic chemicals.

Natural vs Nicotine
When it comes to vaping in a more healthy fashion, ideally the first ingredient you will try to remove would be nicotine. In fact, why not replace it with some terpene infused CBD vape oil. This will help completely cut dependence on nicotine out of your life, leaving you to enjoy a vaping experience of a much higher quality overall.

Following on from this, there is also a wide, and ever-expanding range of organic vape juices being made available from many producers. These purport to be healthier in many ways, and with fewer chemicals and other harmful additives including diacetyl-free. In fact, this list goes on, from vegan, to non-genetically modified, to the vape juice had its own hot tub. Basically, whichever positive aspect of life you wish to embrace, there is a natural vape liquid available to satisfy you. Of course, we do not know how much truth is in many of these statements, but we presume they could be no more harmful than the original.

A final factor to weigh-in on the debate about the health of your e-cigarette is the nicotine content. The typical cigarette would contain around 12mg of nicotine at regular strength. Vaping, however, can be utterly flexible depending upon the user. Typical vape juices can contain between 0-12mg of nicotine if bought directly from the shelf. The fact remains though that vaping is seen as more than just a passive activity. Developing your own vape juices and modifying the equipment has taken on a life of its own, sparking growth in a huge subculture. This approach of passion and flexibility can mean that, besides the risk of fire from your modified vape, juices can also contain as much as 36mg of nicotine. This is a point where the question should really be asked if one is benefiting more from vaping than smoking in terms of general health.

THE LONG-TERM OUTLOOK FOR VAPING
Whilst the financials look extraordinarily strong, and the vaping industry is set to go from strength to strength in terms of this growth, real questions will soon have to be examined about the long-term health impact. Although everything is up for speculation, with the exception of the UK who are surprisingly trying to promote a more liberal approach, other nations are continuing to impose new restrictions on e-cigarettes with many now subjecting them to similar public use regulations as traditional smoking.

As more research continues to be carried out within this young, burgeoning industry, it seems certain that whilst the future will likely continue to burn brightly, it may do so with more legislation in place, and a more cautious public attitude to vaping, particularly in public. With that said, there are many positives which will continue to emerge in the long-term for the industry. This should include the increased availability of organic vape juices and the continued growth of CBD based vapes helping users to benefit in a number of ways to positively promote their health.

Conclusion

It is clear to note that whilst the vaping industry as a whole is in a moment of huge global growth, paradoxically, the concern is beginning to surface through increased research which could have a negative impact on the market.

As it currently stands, though nobody could deny the need for further research, vaping still represents a very effective way to quit smoking, and markedly less harmful method of enjoying a construable level of nicotine if you so choose, without having quite so much negative impact on the surrounding society.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My vape is just fine.

It gets nothing but cannabis oil, that I make, put into it.
I don't need thinners to get it to flow well. I use a tank designed for wax!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
My vaporizer works great..!
I call it a steam pipe.. I've been vaping with it for more than 37 years..:dance013:

I like it because I can vape cured buds or I can vape fresh buds "right off the vine"..
There's no Propylene glycol, or any other chemicals in my vaped THC..

I've had to replace the bowl a few times and also the tin pan that holds the hardwood coals..

The only safety issue with it is being sure to use it outdoors so if you spill the hot coals, you don't start a fire on your sofa:biggrin:...

Attachments

• steam pipe.jpg
    steam pipe.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 60

howardsunny

I use SR 72 Dual Vape Pen Bundle. It's absolutely safe. You can read more about this e-cig vape starter kit here. I use it for nearly 5 months and I am absolutely satisfied. No negative effects.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Vaping flower is clean, quick, and doesn't make a mess. Plus, you have ABV to make butter from. Do a whip for just one hit, and the effects in the report below are amplified.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/16066350902974753

The vaporizer appeared to be a practical and acceptable method for the administration of cannabis in users with respiratory problems. After 1 month of vaporizer use, self-reported respiratory symptoms improved dramatically. Measures of lung function (forced expiratory volume (FEV1) and forced vital capacity (FVC)) showed more modest improvements. Vaporizing proved reactive for tobacco smokers, leading them to decrease cigarette smoking and confounding interpretations of improvement. Nevertheless, those who smoked cannabis exclusively also benefited from the vaporizer. We attempted a reversal design where participants would then return to smoking but all refused.

Some other reports referenced in that link. I couldn't get a DOI to open, but haven't tried very hard yet. Mr. Skunkman's index has links on how to open DOIs.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I quit combusting 10 yrs ago. The only thing that got me off the stinkies. Make my own juice since day 1, same applies with cannabis. I also use a dry herb vaporizer

NENugger

I don’t think ICmag peeps are ecig users.
Most are growers and make there own oil or only vape flower.
I use a DynaBook and a pax for flower only. Taste is much better in my opinion.

superx

Veteran
So, we're talking about ecigs not vapes which are two entirely different kettles of fish.. fuck combustion.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
So, we're talking about ecigs not vapes which are two entirely different kettles of fish.. fuck combustion.
The terms are interchangeable. If one was at the forefront of the movement (trying to get them legalized)... they started out as ecigs but, their name was changed to "vaporizers" amongst other names bounced around in the day (NDD/S, nicotine delivery device/system (never caught on)). So "vapes" is what they are, or referred to, to this day.

Where it applies here, vapes are still used by some cannabis users, whether the product in liquid or bud form, and dabbing rigs are also known as vapes. Why? No combustion!

The Jamaican steam pipe was the "grand daddy" of dry herb vaporizers, before "ecigs/vapes" became electronic. It operated under the same principals as dry herb vaporizers, juts using a different heat source. The heat source of the "steam pipe" represents a fire hazard when used indoors.

Galaxy420

I use Fury vapes ( Fury2 ./ Fury Edge ) . Clean, isolated heater in an air path made out of stainless steel ... I then use glass only adapters loaded with herb that seats down in the herb chamber. so all clean air path with Glass only ( no plastic ) and then inhale . I put the WPA glass attachment onto a water bubbler and condition the vapor into a smooth inhale too.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
With all the volcanos out there, somebody needs to make an attachment that is a heated chamber, with PID. Heat the material, then turn on the fan.

Totally changes the output.

Last edited:

Satyros

[

That said, the FDA has already approved these flavors and juices for consumption, although with thousands of flavors on the current market, the general consensus is that more research should be done to establish the real impact of vaping on users and those around them.

That is my issue.

That is what happened to cigarettes. Someone decided to filter it with a cotton wad, to keep the tobacco flakes out of your mouth. Then filters were made of whatever. Then cigarettes were loaded with chemicals. So there is no real discussion about American smoking that is really about tobacco.

The question of how some chemicals or their metabolites interact seems well beyond mankind's comprehension.

The FDA approves anything that is not "proven unsafe", whereas most European countries won't sell stuff unless it is proven safe.

We already researched cars and know that benzene is 1,000 times more carcinogenic than nicotine, but I don't hear anyone discussing a ban on parking lots.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
That is my issue.

That is what happened to cigarettes. Someone decided to filter it with a cotton wad, to keep the tobacco flakes out of your mouth. Then filters were made of whatever. Then cigarettes were loaded with chemicals. So there is no real discussion about American smoking that is really about tobacco.

The question of how some chemicals or their metabolites interact seems well beyond mankind's comprehension.

The FDA approves anything that is not "proven unsafe", whereas most European countries won't sell stuff unless it is proven safe.

We already researched cars and know that benzene is 1,000 times more carcinogenic than nicotine, but I don't hear anyone discussing a ban on parking lots.
I am sorry good buddy. Nicotine is not the culprit for carcinogenics in tobacco. It is combustion. Nicotine is a stimulant that is as harmful as caffeine.

This https://www.e-cigarette-summit.com/speaker/dr-konstantinos-farsalinos-m-d/ A former smoker now vaper. Known in the community as Dr F. If you still combust your weed. You have been lolled into a false sense of security.

99problems

I use Fury vapes ( Fury2 ./ Fury Edge ) . Clean, isolated heater in an air path made out of stainless steel ... I then use glass only adapters loaded with herb that seats down in the herb chamber. so all clean air path with Glass only ( no plastic ) and then inhale . I put the WPA glass attachment onto a water bubbler and condition the vapor into a smooth inhale too.

What do you think about the fury 2?
I had it for a while but gave it away to a friend, though the inhale was a lot sharper then just smoking a joint, I've used the crafty from a friend and that one is much smoother then the fury 2 in my opinion.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Don't smokers of cigs also get the fiberglass material from the filters in their lungs? To me, a smoker's face usually looks about 5-10 years older than it should. Good for the people who are getting their nic fix from juules, cause I appreciate not having to breath their smoke.

Last edited:

MindEater

With all the volcanos out there, somebody needs to make an attachment that is a heated chamber, with PID. Heat the material, then turn on the fan.

Totally changes the output.

What is PID? The volcano sucks monkey ass honestly. I use a slightly modded Arizer EQ, start the bag on fan speed one, then ramp up. Extracts very nicely, nice thick clouds, no leftovers. Of course it's modded, and of courses I grow decent herb full of oils and fats, not that hydrocookie dusty crusty nonsense.

Galaxy420

What do you think about the fury 2?
I had it for a while but gave it away to a friend, though the inhale was a lot sharper then just smoking a joint, I've used the crafty from a friend and that one is much smoother then the fury 2 in my opinion.

Fury2 is great except for battery life ... fury edge is a better vape all around... fury vapes need way less material in there than the crafty/ mighty ETC.... healthyrips are coming up with a new vape in the next few months based off the Fierce vape ... keep an eye out

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Ditto on the Healthy Rips EDGE. I own 40+ vapes and the Edge is one of my daily gotos. Very nice vape in all ways.

Latest posts

Latest posts