What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

S

Sertaiz

ahahahaha. looking at ace strains now, considering violeta.... suppose i should put a pure zam in there too....

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Violeta is very indica leaning rather than sativa. It was not energetic enough for me but it is a beautiful plant and easy to grow. If you do get Zamaldelica just be prepared for a very long flowering. Also Z is a crazy tropical grower so it gets very rangy and needs to be tied up carefully.

S

Sertaiz

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8731097#post8731097

made a thread looking for popcorn sized buds.....humidity resistant.

thats why i thought violeta... i have a couple good ace sativas that fit the bill, GT has been the right size and vigor. its sticky even young.
i just have no indicas and could use a good strong one that isnt huge colas

i bet my lamsbread/ ohaze cob will be black as hell when i get back to it.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Well it is definitely potent, that's for sure. I would do Z x KC or ThaiChi over Violeta though. I've grown Violeta twice and each time got the green pheno with no color. Very compact plants. It's strong but does not have quite the terps of those other two.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Here are a couple of Zamaldelica sticks. They definitely had a nice sweat in the thermos hot water bath and they smell like fresh silage. These buds were only hung for about two days so were nice and wet still. The cobs feel faintly damp right now but are very pliable. I will vac them up and let them sit for a week now.

Tangwena

Veteran
Here are a couple of Zamaldelica sticks. They definitely had a nice sweat in the thermos hot water bath and they smell like fresh silage. These buds were only hung for about two days so were nice and wet still. The cobs feel faintly damp right now but are very pliable. I will vac them up and let them sit for a week now.

View Image View Image View Image
They look well fermented you should dry them gently they dont need any further fermenting drying them will halt that.
After drying seal them up to age my friend.
They look like mine lovely red coloration, after aging at least a month they should be awesome.
Chew half a gram once aged the trip can be mind blowingly funny.
I love Zam cobs chewed I just have to remember "not in public ha ha".
You will see what I mean you just have no sense of right and wrong ha ha.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks man. I will do just that.

I have two more heavily budded branches from this plant to go and I just chopped another off this morning. I may not cob these though because the over all yield was not huge. Some sample buds I took earlier have developed a wonderful delicate fragrance, floral and musky with a touch of honey. Nice to have different types of product from the same plant to make for more variety. It's like having two harvests in one, lol. :D

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Here's another one. Zamaldelica again, but the buds were dried for about 3 days. I think the sweat was about 24 hours though, maybe longer. This cob is a little drier than the first two I posted but it still got a good fermentation. It's drying now along with the other two, and then I will age them in vacuum bags for a few weeks.

Tangwena

Veteran
Here's another one. Zamaldelica again, but the buds were dried for about 3 days. I think the sweat was about 24 hours though, maybe longer. This cob is a little drier than the first two I posted but it still got a good fermentation. It's drying now along with the other two, and then I will age them in vacuum bags for a few weeks.

View Image View Image
Perfect my friend that just started to ferment it will now age nicely thats exactly where you want to be at that stage of the cure. I would be darned pleased with myself if it were mine.
Being Zam it will be a stick of dynamite once aged nice job brother.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
My next try will be a small cob of Zamaldelica again, but this time I will try out the sous vide. I want a very short 4 or 6 hour sweat at moderate heat. See if I can preserve some terps and color.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
So I made a small Zamaldelica cob this morning and sweated for 3 hours at an average temp of 110f. I opened it at that time and it had definitely sweated as there was fog inside the bag, as well as a mild fermented smell that had a bit of spice mixed in.

I decided to leave it there. I resealed and just have it in a warm room temp spot. I will give it a few days then unwrap and see where we are at. I will post pics then. Let's see if shorter is better!

Tangwena

Veteran
So I made a small Zamaldelica cob this morning and sweated for 3 hours at an average temp of 110f. I opened it at that time and it had definitely sweated as there was fog inside the bag, as well as a mild fermented smell that had a bit of spice mixed in.

I decided to leave it there. I resealed and just have it in a warm room temp spot. I will give it a few days then unwrap and see where we are at. I will post pics then. Let's see if shorter is better!
Now your on a roll my friend like a gun dog with a sniff of a bird.
Manipulation is the name of the game brother welcome to the cob club.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks mate! :)

OK, so here is my latest attempt. 3 hour hot sweat at around 110f, followed by overnight at room temperature which is mid 60s this time of year.

I unwrapped it this morning for an inspection and I like that a lot of color has been retained. It still looks darker than I thought it might be, but there are more aromas coming off it than the my previous attempts which were all 24-48 hours of hot sweat. I can smell a distinct fermentation, but so far this seems to have retained more complexity to it than the longer sweats. Which makes sense of course...we'll see what happens here but I am now drying it to halt the fermentation.

Tangwena

Veteran
Here's a little better pic of the zam cob as it's drying. Definitely is a lighter ferment...

Tang, how do you get the golden type cure again?

View Image
Thats looking very good and will age well.
Keeping just the right amount of moisture (very low) during the cure and aging is the secret.
You are getting the feel for it now shorter sweats at the right moisture content is essential to retaining the terps ect.
The golden cure is not always possible with all types of buds it is best with the leafy spiky loose type like the haze or Thai you know where there are lots of leaf and only small buds hidden in it.
They need to be drier at the beginning shorter sweats and long cures at warm temps.
The cure rather than the sweat stage is what turns them golden.
Certain strains are also more inclined to turn golden.
Donald Mallard got the most golden cure from his Laos while his Zamal was darker.
Thai Bliss posted a pic of them side by side recently in his thread you can see the difference it is very evident.

picture.php

picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks Tang! I will keep that info in mind...

Here is a small cob I made today with Panama from Ace. It had a short 2 hour sweat at 110F, followed by 4 hours at room temperature. It definitely had a sweat but it was brief. The aromas are amazing on this thing, slight fermentation mixed with strong chemical terps. I'm going to dry this one overnight and then bag it up for a few weeks. See if I can get that elusive golden cure...I have several more branches I can play with on both Zamaldelica and Panama as they dry over the next couple of days.

I wood

Block of green honduran haze.
A little dry when cobbed so sweated for 36 hours in yogurt maker at about 105-115 degrees F, then fermented for about 3 weeks on top of t5 fixture where it stayed about 95f eighteen hours then about 70 for six hours each day.
When vaped the only taste is of faint cucumber.
When .25 gram was eaten the effects were euphoric and exactly what i was hoping for.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks Tang! I will keep that info in mind...

Here is a small cob I made today with Panama from Ace. It had a short 2 hour sweat at 110F, followed by 4 hours at room temperature. It definitely had a sweat but it was brief. The aromas are amazing on this thing, slight fermentation mixed with strong chemical terps. I'm going to dry this one overnight and then bag it up for a few weeks. See if I can get that elusive golden cure...I have several more branches I can play with on both Zamaldelica and Panama as they dry over the next couple of days.

View Image
Panama and Panama x Honduras have the most stunning terp profile even after aging.
That looks perfect AGAIN your really hitting the bullseye now.
Even chewed they taste unreal and the high is potent as hell.
That will make a nice change from the Zam once you start to use them.
It is one of my favorite highs with the smell thats just seductive I haven't met anyone who does not like the smell of a cob of well cured Panama.

Tangwena

Veteran
Block of green honduran haze.
A little dry when cobbed so sweated for 36 hours in yogurt maker at about 105-115 degrees F, then fermented for about 3 weeks on top of t5 fixture where it stayed about 95f eighteen hours then about 70 for six hours each day.
When vaped the only taste is of faint cucumber.
When .25 gram was eaten the effects were euphoric and exactly what i was hoping for. View Image
That looks like a very nice cure.
The Honduran would be exactly what I am looking for in a high.
I have the Hon x Pan and what the Hon brings to the high is a euphoria and energy thats just amazing.
As it ages sealed up it will get even better 3 months will bring out the peak in the effects.
Very nice job my friend all these amazing cures brings a smile to my face you guys are Acing it (pun intended ha ha) top notch job brother.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Looks great man. Thanks for all the details. Looks like going in a little dryer can help retain colors.

Latest posts

Latest posts