What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12" fan with 6" filter any good?

Just saw real good deal on 12" fans at local grow store, is it ok to use duct reducers and fan speed controller with it? Figure I could run long ducting to go from tent straight up through ceiling and into silencer, and adjust flow as needed. Just wondering if the 6" ducting would be too restrictive, or if the fan dulled down that much would be more prone to failure...

Be whisper quiet I would think?

Thing is I don't actually need a 12" fan (4x4 tent). But it's cheaper than most 6" fans. Currently I have a 6" fan with filter exhausting into lung room, and another 6" fan exhausting lung room into ceiling...

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
never heard of 12 inch fans. i thought they stopped at 8" at any rate the 6" ducting shouldn't restrict your airflow in any significant way but it will be louder whooshing noise. what's your budget? i just bought a 4" vortex and 12" (tall 4" connection) filter for like 95$ i think the 6" fan filter combo was $130. ebay.

The fan is $200, usually a 6" fan costs $250+ down here (NZ). I'm not that keen on importing from ebay, kinda paranoid a little, and usually expect low quality stuff from sites like that

As said I don't NEED it, just a "shit that's a good price" moment. Thinking fan could keep up easily if i run 8 -10 metres (30 odd feet?) of ducting

Cheers

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
shouldn't be any less or more quality than ordering from any other website...they all come from the same factory in china lol. i dunno if it'll be cheaper or not. but ebay or amazon are the tits for buying grow equipment.mostly always cheaper than your local ripoff shop...i mean grow shop.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
The fan should be matched to the filter to get optimum use from the filter

A 12" fan, if it's a Ruck or similar will make a lot of noise

Don't bother, just get it right

Ok thanks, might just wire my fan on medium or high instead and vent into ceiling, saving myself $200. Thought it would considerably cut down on noise. If I mount my current 6" fan high up in ceiling space with silencer I'm sure (hope) it'll be an acceptable noise level..