What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap Freezer to dry AND cure buds in?

I have a small indoor growroom in my garage . I also have two outdoor plants growing in my backyard.

Both my outdoor plants are finishing up and i am not sure where i should dry them at.

I don't have air conditioning in my home except for the grow room. It is the only room with air conditioning. But im afraid of drying my outdoor plants in my indoor grow room because i have had thrips, whiteflies, and aphids visit my outdoor plants throughout their lives (but i managed to keep them at bay) and do not want to risk bringing them into my indoor garden.

So now i am seriously considering buying a freezer to put in the backyard just to dry AND cure my flowers. Is this a really great idea? The stickied post in this subforum claims it is the easiest and actually best way to dry and cure so now i am really interested.

I am building a rosin press at the moment also and would also use the freezer to store fresh frozen :biggrin:

So is a freezer the perfect solution for me? If so, will any freezer i find on craigslist likely work?

M

moose eater

I've never done anything like what you're proposing, but I'd recommend either asking the person(s) who stated this was a good idea, or reading more closely in the sticky, to determine whether they're talking about a self-defrosting freezer or a manual defrost freezer..

I have 5 or 6 freezers of which two larger units are plugged in and running on a fairly continuous basis. With frozen fish and/or meat storage, I ONLY use manual defrost freezers, as self-defrosting freezers dry out the meat (assuming it's not sealed in plastic food pouches), thus potentially leading to freezer burn.

I'm assuming that if someone is using a freezer to dry their product, they are using self-defrost varieties, and keeping them above freezing, either through a thermo-coupler modification, or a wide ranging thermostat in/on the unit.

But there are definite differences in the two types of freezers, as to what happens to their contents.

And as stated, I've never heard of, nor done, what you're proposing..

Off cuff, I would think a large cardboard wardrobe (like the type used for moving clothing), in an area with desirable temperature and humidity, and holes placed accordingly, with -very- low-pressure axial muffin fan(s) fitted to exhaust port(s), to very slowly move air through. You cold place restrictions on the intake(s) to further slow the air movement through the box/wardrobe. And it would collapse for storage when not in use.

I have my own eccentric method for drying and curing involving unused/new pizza trays/boxes, that's worked pretty well... On average, 3-4 oz. dry-weight to a large pizza tray, stacking 2-3 trays at a time without 'smushing' from weight, 180 degrees off-set from each other, as the lids are initially propped open via the lid's side flaps, then 2-4 days into drying, lower the lids, to slow the drying a bit. The buds are packed in mostly single layer, but tight side-to-side, when freshly trimmed and green, and as the moisture leaves, there's a natural shrinkage in the material, and they provide limited space to each other, preventing any molds.

A wheeled chef's rack like you can get at the wholesale warehouse stores, chrome or (??) with four casters, about 6 ft. tall, and 4-5 racks on it, properly spaced, can hold 2-3 stacks of pizza boxes per shelf, up to 3 boxes high. Thus 6-9 boxes per shelf, with 4, 5, or 6 shelves to work with, depending on the rack you selected..

I'll leave it at that for now, though there's more to the process..

Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest posts