What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Compensation for victims of the War on Drugs?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I saw this article in The Guardian, what's your take on it?

America’s lucrative new weed industry should compensate the black victims of the country’s war on drugs

America has long been high on its own endless supply of hypocrisy. The “land of the free” has the largest prison population in the world; the “home of the brave” has elected a coward to the White House. The United States, it has become clear, is still a divided country with different rules for its different coloured citizens. And, arguably, nowhere are those double standards more bluntly black and white than when it comes to the corporatisation of cannabis.

In recent years, the US establishment has gone from piously advising people to Just Say No to drugs, to saying “yes, please” to profiting from pot. To date, eight states have legalised recreational cannabis. Some colleges, such as the University of Denver, have introduced Business of Marijuana courses into their curriculums. Hordes of bright, mainly white, young things have launched lucrative cannabis startups and there’s an interminable stream of trend pieces in the US media about everything from cannabis-kale to how “bud bars” are the fashionable new fixture at white weddings.

Blue-chip companies are also benefiting from the green rush: Scotts Miracle-Gro, a lawn-care company, saw its shares rise 31% last year, after buying up lots of companies that provide supplies for hydroponics, the favoured method of cultivating cannabis. Guess how many people of colour are on the Scotts leadership team? None.

So while legal marijuana money has started pouring into the US economy, there’s ample evidence that it’s largely white people profiting. A Buzzfeed investigation last year, for example, estimated only about 1% of the storefront marijuana dispensaries in the US are owned by black people.
A billion-dollar industry, a racist legacy: being black and growing pot in America
Read more

The racial inequities in the new marijuana economy are particularly egregious considering the US’s decades-long war on drugs, which disproportionately punished African Americans for petty drug crimes. A 2013 report from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) found black people are almost four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than white people, despite similar usage rates. The war on drugs has always been sanitised shorthand for: The War on Non-White People, With a Particular Emphasis on Black People.

The US’s racist approach to marijuana – both past and present – is hardly news. But what do we do about it? Well, I’ve got an idea: reparations. Every business now exploiting the legalisation of marijuana should forfeit at least 50% of their pot-based profits to a fund that gives reparations to people whose lives were destroyed by the US’s discriminatory war on drugs.

If this sounds fanciful, it shouldn’t. There is a longstanding debate in the US about whether the government should compensate African Americans for the legacy of slavery – and the war on drugs is very much part of that legacy. Indeed, slavery was never entirely abolished in the US, it simply evolved, as white America found less overt ways to beat down its black population. Slavery 2.0 was the Jim Crow laws, that segregated and disenfranchised black people from around 1890 to the early 1950s. Slavery 3.0 took the form of what has been described as the “new Jim Crow”: the mass incarceration of black people. In her highly influential 2010 book, The New Jim Crow, legal scholar Michelle Alexander explains that “rather than rely on race, we use our criminal justice system to label people of colour ‘criminals’ and then engage in all the practices we supposedly left behind … employment discrimination, housing discrimination, denial of the right to vote, denial of educational opportunity … are suddenly legal ... We have not ended racial caste in America; we have merely redesigned it.”

There has been a lot of pushback against the idea of reparations for slavery. In a poll conducted last year, 81% of white people opposed the idea. Arguments against reparations for slavery tend to focus on the fact that slavery is a long time past. A National Review article entitled The Case Against Reparations argues, for example, that: “The people to whom reparations were owed are long dead; our duty is to the living, and to generations yet to come, and their interests are best served by liberty and prosperity, not by moral theatre.”

You can’t argue any of these counterpoints when it comes to the case for marijuana reparations, however. Many of the people whose lives were ruined by disproportionally harsh punishment for petty drug crimes are still alive and suffering the consequences. What’s more, it’s hard to talk about moral theatre when you’re taking money from people who are currently profiting from drugs and giving it to people who were incarcerated for attempting to profit from drugs.

Reparations only seem to be contentious when the people receiving money aren’t white. In 2015, for example, a bill signed by Barack Obama established the US Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund. This uncontroversial fund seizes assets from terrorist financiers and uses the money to compensate US victims of terrorism by state sponsors of terrorism. Much of the money for the fund has come from French bank BNP Paribas, which was fined $9bn in 2014 for violating US sanctions against Iran, Cuba and Sudan. Earlier this year the criminal division announced that more than $800m (£621m) had been paid out from the fund to individuals such as the Iran hostages held from 1979 to 1981.

The US’s war against drugs, I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to say, was state-sponsored racial terrorism. The only reason it’s not widely recognised as such, and there isn’t a compensation fund, is because racism is one hell of a drug.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...he-black-victims-of-the-countrys-war-on-drugs

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i see it as race baiting...stirring up racial unrest.

another thing, it's been illegal (NOT THAT IT SHOULD BE) for quite some time and anyone who decides to use/grow/sell should accept the notion it could be detrmental to their freedom....there is risk.
no one forced them to violate existing laws. blaming others is lame, imo.

you asked.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I saw this article in The Guardian, what's your take on it?

One glance and I didn't have to look up the bio to know this is utopian bleeding-heart PC masturbation and by probably a foreigner. This alone provokes a strong reaction in many people. That's a problem for us because MJ already has enough problems, without connection to that brand of PC.

Not only is this DOA except to the proudly PC minority and to those who would get free stuff, something so provocative and not-happening is not productive - except for getting published on the Guardian. DJ Trump was gerrymandered into office by the last 20 years of PC fantasies turned into rightwing media fodder and subliminal programming.

This comes from someone who has never voted R and has a leftist guerrila avatar.

geneva_sativa

Why not solve the real root of the problem instead of jerking people around emotionally ?

The "powers that be" have been fucking many people over in their "War on Drugs".

So instead of focusing on the real issue and the real criminals, once again they try to get people emotionally riled up and segregated into their " races ".

You better know who the real criminals are, those orchestrating this whole goddamn game.

Stop being a pawn.

We need to unite against tyranny. . . not fight amongst ourselves.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why not solve the real root of the problem instead of jerking people around emotionally ?

The "powers that be" have been fucking many people over in their "War on Drugs".

So instead of focusing on the real issue and the real criminals, once again they try to get people emotionally riled up and segregated into their " races ".

You better know who the real criminals are, those orchestrating this whole goddamn game.

Stop being a pawn.

We need to unite against tyranny. . . not fight amongst ourselves.

^^^THIS!!^^^

I couldn't have said it better.
Not in a million years.

oldchuck

Veteran
Well, Gypsy, you must have known you would stir the hornets with this one. My own view:

1) Cannabis was first demonized around the turn of the 20th century as a racist attack on Mexicans. Black people were added in the 1920s thanks to the alarming influence of black jazz music. White people didn't get added to the demon list until the 1960s when us hippies jacked up the music. So who is more entitled to compensation for these white establishment atrocities?

2) I am very much in favor of reparations to the generations removed victims of slavery. The stones of the white house are mortared with black blood. If even some kind of modest reparations were in the cards race relations would be much improved. Black people retain, even generations later, a legitimate grievance about slavery. If that sense of grievance were to be recognized in some tangible way we could make a major step toward genuine equality

W

Water-

something I have always found interesting about america is that many people are in complete self denial about their inherent racism.

they go to bizarre lengths to justify how their skewed world view isn't racism while espousing views that are clearly rooted in it.

G

Well, Gypsy, you must have known you would stir the hornets with this one. My own view:

1) Cannabis was first demonized around the turn of the 20th century as a racist attack on Mexicans. Black people were added in the 1920s thanks to the alarming influence of black jazz music. White people didn't get added to the demon list until the 1960s when us hippies jacked up the music. So who is more entitled to compensation for these white establishment atrocities?

2) I am very much in favor of reparations to the generations removed victims of slavery. The stones of the white house are mortared with black blood. If even some kind of modest reparations were in the cards race relations would be much improved. Black people retain, even generations later, a legitimate grievance about slavery. If that sense of grievance were to be recognized in some tangible way we could make a major step toward genuine equality
Fuck that. Repatriotate not reperations for those who want it.

Gry

Veteran
" [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]because racism is one hell of a drug" -- I could not agree more.

Always felt the underlying reason that compensation was taken off the table, was that someone remembered there were native americans with claims that had too much merit.
[/FONT]

M

moose eater

17 years ago I attended the 13th International Conference on Drug Policy Reform, before the Drug Policy Foundation had merged with the Lindesmith Center and become the Drug Policy Alliance..

The disparate enforcement of drug laws between minority populations (especially Blacks) and mainstream/Caucasian groups, the differences in sentencing (often extreme), the powder cocaine versus crack sentencing issues, the differences in overly-militarized responses to low income (often predominantly Black) areas, versus the raids on the Burbs, etc., all point to extreme racism in drug law enforcement; not just enforcement of the law, but use of race as a criteria, even if subconscious, in enforcement of the law, and how it's enforced.

The question of wrongs committed being just that, wrongs, for me isn't a question of whether or not victims deserve compensation, but rather how far back we should go in addressing the more broad based issues born of systemic racism?

The outrageous statistics involved in the question above, and the recent nature in time, for me, makes this issue eligible for litigation to at least answer the question.

In contrast, my Irish ancestors were horribly victimized by the Brits hundreds of years ago; crops burned, wives raped, land stolen, and more. Similar but different acts occurred toward North America's Aboriginal groups. Canada's First Nations, and Alaska's many Native Bands/Village Corporations were compensated to one degree or another, long after the fact.

If I write the British Crown and plead for my long-dead ancestors, requesting a mule and 40 acres as trade for their history during the days of somewhat more direct Rights of Conquest, I'll be lucky to receive a letter laughing at me.

How much time has passed matters in this case, at least for me.

If the issues are provable, and I believe they are, then the entity should answer the questions, and perhaps pay up.

But it almost always takes governments -at least- 50 or 100 years to cop to their guilt; see the Interned Japanese Americans who were taken from their properties during WWII. 50 years or so later...... someone muttered "Oops, we're sorry..."

I'd rather see victims of the drug war get some jing than to buy another $800 toilet seat for a USAF C17 troop transport aircraft. (*Not that they'd ever make it an 'either, or' equation in reality).

Last edited:

mack 10

Veteran
Just look at the Crack epidemic of the 80/90's.
Rick Ross claims he was told to sell to blacks.
Weather its true, who knows.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
"people of color" theyre talking skin color right? Is there a graph or scale that might give me a better idea of exactly who we talkin bout? Cause I tan like a mthr fkr and....I like money.

How am I a victim of the war on Drugs??? Sheeeet.... I suffered like a mthr fkr!

I had to keep valid registration on my fkn car! I couldn't bring attention to myself!!! When I think off all the people I wasn't able to dazzle with my tales of high adventure at parties!!! I suffered.... I suffered plenty!!!haha

Fkrs will prob just go with SS rules though:(......keep it simple.

All jokes aside.... would the "people of color" that are part of the industry have to pay up too?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I don't think that there are many here who could not go back 100/200/300 years along their family lineage and find ancestors that were actual slaves or in some sort of indentured servitude. No matter what ethnic group or nation you care to name.

Should we all try and tax the ghosts of the past, to be compensated in the present?
(how ridiculous that sounds).

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So if a White Victim was sent to prison for marijuana, 8 years the sentence, should the White people be compensated?

I saw yes.

M

moose eater

No, but I think how recently abuses occurred should matter.

As of just a decade-and-a-half ago, while Blacks then represented about 17% of the population in the U.S., they represented either 52% or 56% of Federal drug war prisoners. They also tended to be sentenced to much longer time in prison when comparing sentences for similar 'crimes', are/were killed by police that much more often, and yet their per capita rate of use of 'illegal drugs' was, at that time, more or less equal to the rates of use of those same or similar substances among Caucasians.; ~12% at that time.

With numbers like that, I think it's pretty clear that the racism that was a center-piece of Anslinger's and others' war on (some) drugs never departed its original course or purpose.

"Marijuana will make Black men want to rape white women".. was just -some- of the outlandish testimony to the U.S. Congress in the mid-1930s when the Marijuana Tax Act was being sought, as I'm sure you're aware.

As is relatively common with expenses, state taxes, or over-head in general for many/most businesses, perhaps the amounts contributed by the now-legal 'markets' to what ever form of reparations could factor in to lessen the taxable income for the those contributors.

I don't think that there are many here who could not go back 100/200/300 years along their family lineage and find ancestors that were actual slaves or in some sort of indentured servitude. No matter what ethnic group or nation you care to name.

Should we all try and tax the ghosts of the past, to be compensated in the present?
(how ridiculous that sounds).

Latest posts

Latest posts