What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Between Sun and Moon HPS/LED comparison grow.

hazy

Veteran
I have a bunch of new pics in my album. I'll put up a few now, more tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

I chopped about half of the stuff under the hps and the leds.
I have a weight but need to wait for the rest to finish before giving any numbers.

No Sour Diesels down yet, there are two under the 345 and two under the 400. I can only say that by the size of the buds, the 345 watt LED is ahead of the 400. The buds are big.
still have 3 Burmese Haze going under the 400 hps too.

Here's a Sugar Shack from under the 205 w led before and after fans were removed.

This SS was under the same light.

Some Shack buds
You can see that they got some nice color.

hazy

Veteran
more led buds

more led buds

c99 from under the 205 w led.

This pic is just a closeup of the down low popcorn. Not bad.

some shack etc. hanging

Now for some Purple Kush. The big one spent most of its time under the 345, while the small one was under the 205. It's just a cluster of nugs.

with fans-defanned

PK buds

Not bad eh?

Here's the down low never got any light larf.

This is a Golden Cindy. The weak branches are the strain not the light. Same story under the 400 or 1k.

This is all of the led stuff chopped so far. next post will be the 400 hps chop.

hazy

Veteran
hps buds

hps buds

I didn't take nearly as many pics of the 400 chop, but enough to see what's up.

This first is GAK. It went in late as it is a 45 day strain, though it went at least 50 days this time. A low yielding plant, but it did well with nugs all the way down the stalk.

Next are 2 Northern99 girls.

There were 3 PKs under the 400. Two that were just the same size as the big one that you saw in the last led bud post, and one small like the small one in the led post.

You judge which made better buds.

with and without fans

PK buds

down low PK larf from under the 400

That's all that's chopped from under the 400.
Left to go are two Sour Diesels and three Burmese Haze.
The BH are making nice fat buds, should be done any day.

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
The 345 seems to kick ass at ur place
Shit man u are doing greAt. I wanted to talk to ya so I better pm u hehe. I bet if u narrowed it down to 2-3 strains a run u would get prob 30% more a run

hazy

Veteran
All Chopped

All Chopped

I failed to get pics of the hps final chop, but here's a few pics of the Diesel from under the 345 w led.
some defanned pics, first two SD, last one C4

I just love these whitecaps

Some buds

Last a macro of a white top. BTW, they smoke perfectly. Smooth, and without the same taste as the rest, very nice, i wish i could make whole buds do this.
The amber trichs really stand out.

===============***************
#################

OK, I have the final weights. I also have some comments on my results.

The LEDs using 465 watts produced 406.9 g.:thank you:

The HPS using 485 watts produced 204.6 g.:pointlaug

First, I'd like to say that the 400 obviously could have done better. And it has in the past. It did had 2 more plants than the leds. However, two of them were fairly low yielders. The SDs grew tall and were to the side and did not have the 400 directly over, which would have made a big difference. Also the fact that I run many different strains has an impact. The leds had many different strains too though.

The thing that really made the biggest difference was the veg. Plants that went into veg as equals came out big and bushy under the LED, while just normal under the 400. You can really see it with the Purple Kushes. The LED PKs that started the same as the 400 PKs, outdid them 58 to 42. With one big PK and one small PK in the leds, while the 400 had two big PK and one small pk.

the jump from the super vegging ability of the 205, gave the Sour Diesels that went under the 345 a big advantage. There was 205.5 of SD under the 345 while the 400 made only 78.1 of SD. I now I could have gotten the 400 to do better, with the right plant combination and numbers, but it has been unplugged and the 345 w led is going in its place.

I highly recommend the 345 watt LED light from HGL.

Granted, the SDs were pretty much right under the 345, and I can't say how it will do outside of that footprint, but I did not even utilize the advertised coverage of 36 x 36? My space is almost 5 feet wide, so well find out during this next run I'm getting ready for.

Last edited:

hazy

Veteran
Hey Sir, if I ran it all in diesel, it'd rock.

O~ I'm really amazed at how strong the branches on the led grown plants are. 'Cept that GC up there. floppy.

niluola

Outstanding. Bravo! Bravo!

I know exactly what you mean by the white tops being something special...

Here's a Jack Herer of mine which performed like that:

Again, great work on the frontier of future growing here and now!

hazy

Veteran
Hashy1 :ying:

SirSmokalotthanks Sir, I started out skeptical, but the leds are pretty impressive.

niluolaNice whitecap on your JH! I just love the way they taste.

Shipless Ocean:tiphat:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great thread, great comparison, seems like the led holds its grounds because it is half as powerful as the hps, but.... costs so much more......

tommy2js

yes but if you have a problem with heat

yes but if you have a problem with heat

34.2/29.1 = 1.175

HPS produced 17.5% more weight.
... but at what cost?

And the cost diff = about $200 for HPS vs $700 for LED?
or $700/29.1g = $24.05/g cost for LED
vs $200/34.2g = $5.85/g cost for HPS

I suppose its fair to note that energy cost is not figured into this, but w/ 17.5% higher yield from HPS, that should more than make up the energy cost. A 10 lb harvest under LED is great, but you'd still be giving up nearly 2 lbs!! ($6-8k!!)

One other thing. a single plant comparison is biased against HPS, since it has a much wider footprint. In a multi-light room, you would need 2-3x as many LEDs to cover the room since they have such a narrow penetration. That 10-12 lb harvest can be done w/ (5) 1k HPS lights or (12) LED lights.

Initial investment:
HPS: 5 x $500 = $2500
LED: 12 x $700 = $9600

If yields were identical it would be worth it, but giving up 1.75 lbs per harvest means losing 10 lbs per year!!! (6 x 1.75lbs). Now we're talking $30-$40k per year. Additional energy costs should come in around $5k per year.

Conclusion: Gram per watt contests are great for spec sheets and not much else.

Bottom line: LEDs are NOT worth it.

also you save $ electric on A/C running A/C cost about $100to$200 more in summer With HID's Don't forget

D

draco

you done fine work here Hazy, congratulations!

my buddy runs led's and he's got the same white top on the plant directly under the led...

pretty obvious there's something unusual going on there; i have never seen this with hps or mh... sure will be nice when this plant is a subject for LEGAL research. i'm sure there will be some surprises when spectrum can be sorted...

bud structure under led is different... hmmm...

if i was running a closet grow, it would be led. no heat sig, no high power $, or need for serious temp control. plus ya get the cool colors...!!

hazy

Veteran
Hey Khaleel, i see you got your name back. I'm doing good, just seems like i never have time to log on anymore.

hey kannubis, the current grow's doing good. I'm using just the 345 right now, cause i've loaned the 205 to hashy1. Everything under the 30 by 30 footprint looks great, but the stuff outside of that area is not doing so well. As I've said and many others have pointed out, the bane of LEDs is the limited area they cover compared to the radiating light of a HID.