What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guerilla Underground Thread

Easy7

Veteran
How they find the plants with flir is the extra watering. So a cover like clover helps a lot. Anything to hide ground temp, that is cooler from extra water. So I've read and it's been awhile, so no source to help you.

-TheShortTexan-

I had heard a few places that bids gave off heat signatures diff than other plants. (Trees, weed, etc.) Which I thought was ridiculous. But the heat from your person I can definitely see. Extra watering seems a little far fetched for me but I won't put anything past Charlie... evil bastards

-TheShortTexan-

Thumbed through that thread. Crap load of info. Blows my mind to see people talking of hundreds or thousands of plants. Either way I didn't INTEND to start from seed this year. Wasn't planning on putting any out but the fever got me late June. Next year I wanna try some autoflowers early in the season and veg some photo period strains out for awhile before they go outside

Easy7

Veteran
Water holds tempature, this is why there is lake effect weather. Extra watering the ground affects ground temp. This is what they hunt for. That or people or warm atv.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0U301OZiZ8

Emergany blanket will hide your ass from flir. Just staple the edges to put on a camo tarp and you have shelter. If and IF you have time. Otherwise don't move.

-TheShortTexan-

Water holds tempature, this is why there is lake effect weather. Extra watering the ground affects ground temp. This is what they hunt for. That or people or warm atv.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0U301OZiZ8

Emergany blanket will hide your ass from flir. Just staple the edges to put on a camo tarp and you have shelter. If and IF you have time. Otherwise don't move.

Damn.... I have never seen a Blackhawk in my life. Crazy that all this has to be considered. That is pretty damn genius though!!! We use flir scopes to hunt pigs around here at night but they are obviously not NEARLY as sophisticated as the ones you're talking about. If you've ever hunted with one, you'll know what I mean when I say "I can't imagine looking for cold water spots on the ground from a moving helicopter." But then again.. I haven't been trained with taxpayer dollars to use expensive equipment for useless freaking surveillance...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thumbed through that thread. Crap load of info. Blows my mind to see people talking of hundreds or thousands of plants. Either way I didn't INTEND to start from seed this year. Wasn't planning on putting any out but the fever got me late June. Next year I wanna try some autoflowers early in the season and veg some photo period strains out for awhile before they go outside

It's ok to do a few autos to get an early harvest, but not too many. I did it and it's kind of a waste. It's way less work to do photos and an obvious better crop. Just try to get plants with different flowering times or you'll have a disaster on your hand trying to get it all in.

-TheShortTexan-

It's ok to do a few autos to get an early harvest, but not too many. I did it and it's kind of a waste. It's way less work to do photos and an obvious better crop. Just try to get plants with different flowering times or you'll have a disaster on your hand trying to get it all in.

Either way I won't be putting too many outside. I wonder if there's a way to get two seperate crops of auto flowers in from spring to late fall.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I meant BUDS... heard they gave diff heat signatures than other weeds.

It's not FLIR you have to worry about. Camera's are getting better at measuring the reflectance of plants and identifying them. The only plant that has the same reflectance as cannabis is Soy. Everything else like trees, grasses, weeds are much different. But soy is a very short farm field crop, and loses it's reflectance a month before harvest time. Still, if you can, grow on the *edge of a Soy field, and only plant after the farmer sprays his roundup on it. A good backdrop (trees) wouldn't hurt.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's quite an experience mountainbuds! The Lord was protecting you, my friend! Glad they didn't see you! Always be prepared!

Got out to the plot this evening. I cut up and spread a bar of Dove soap and put down some more organic repellent. Hopeing the critters stay away.

If you're using new metal fencing, its best to blacken it in a fire before taking it to the plot to help it blend in. Depends on where your plots are! :smoke:

I've started outside at the plot for a few years in the past. I would put a good handful of potting soil in the center of a fertilized hole, so the seed can germinate better. The issue is lack of light. At most plots, the native vegetation blockes a lot of the sun from getting to the ground level. If you have to germinate in the ground, I would probably germinate in the sunniest holes and transplant from there. :smoke:

Its pretty easy to germinate herb along with other seedlings. It blends right in until it gets older. Transplant when leaves are about 1-2 inches long. They will grow so much better if they are getting good sun for the first couple weeks. :smoke:

-TheShortTexan-

That's quite an experience mountainbuds! The Lord was protecting you, my friend! Glad they didn't see you! Always be prepared!

Got out to the plot this evening. I cut up and spread a bar of Dove soap and put down some more organic repellent. Hopeing the critters stay away.

If you're using new metal fencing, its best to blacken it in a fire before taking it to the plot to help it blend in. Depends on where your plots are! :smoke:

I've started outside at the plot for a few years in the past. I would put a good handful of potting soil in the center of a fertilized hole, so the seed can germinate better. The issue is lack of light. At most plots, the native vegetation blockes a lot of the sun from getting to the ground level. If you have to germinate in the ground, I would probably germinate in the sunniest holes and transplant from there. :smoke:

Its pretty easy to germinate herb along with other seedlings. It blends right in until it gets older. Transplant when leaves are about 1-2 inches long. They will grow so much better if they are getting good sun for the first couple weeks. :smoke:

From the looks of things this is exactly what I'm dealing with. I actually planted in a solo cup. After it sprouted I let it make its first set of serrated leaves and then set it outside. After a couple days of survival in the 100's I put it in the ground and threw away the cup. Now it's ok but the stem is real weak. When I water it too heavy it lays down lol... but it seems resillient. Lack of wind and sun from immediate surrounding vegetation is almost certainly the culprit. But stealth is the utmost priority. We will see... when it gets another week under its belt I'm expecting to see it pretty hardened.

troutman

Seed Whore
Sorry to say this. But 99.99% of the people who get busted are ratted out and/or were very careless.

I tried germinating seeds in solo cups and a small tote box filled with soil outdoors.
The small tote box produced more seedlings. I think solo cups dry too fast outdoors.
Which is bad when seeds are germinating. I do regret not starting seed indoors this
year. Last year, I had more and nicer plants by now.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Blackhawk flying hard and low this morning, early as hell too. I was lucky I had my 4 wheeler hidden under camo netting, then beneath a thick pine for even more coverage. My person was equipped head to toe as well with camo and even a ghillie top and hat. I had just filled my jugs in the creek and then boom! Over the mountain and to the bottom of the hollar I heard the bird... I swear to God you guys would never imagine how quick and silent these actually loud mother fuckers are when they Hoover over your head. This has not happened to me in a few years, yes I took cover in a small den that had washed out and formed in a creek and prayed that I did not get spotted or that they did not spot my girls. They circled I think 6 times then hoovered over my head, the chopper lowered to the tops of the trees not even 50 feet away from me and nosed up and blew the tops of the trees over and a few limbs even broke off next to me. They then proceeded to fly away on down the holler, heard then flying for a few mins there and then I lost sound of them. I grabbed my jugs, finished up watering the 4 plants in that plot and got the hell out of there. I am assuming they didn't see it, as this crop was so rural they couldn't practically send in a ground unit to it, it was rappel only bait for sure. Right now they are looking for the big patches and not really taking as much time with it as they do later in the year. I can say that today, was another countless lucky day! You guys please be safe out there! Never know what surprises could be in store for you.

You figure they prolly spotted a few plants but it's so hard to get to them they said F-it ?? I used to fight chickens but don't anymore but I've still kept my cages mainly to keep plants here and there on my property. A few yrs ago around this time the helicopter busted a backyard grower with several plants.....I heard they were pretty much just lil 2fts if that, no way they were even flowering. I think somebody reported him or something. It was weird but I'm on edge....kinda weird how they do these early season flyovers. I'd figured they would waiting until this guys plants flowered and hit him before harvest instead of seizing seedlings. At least he didn't get in much shit but they took his ass to jail when that happen a few yrs back

militia420

So there was a poster many MANY posts back who recommended horsetail herb tea sprayed onto plants to reduce mold and fungal problems. I looked into it and from what I've seen there's this sort of modernized hippyish kinda of community called "permaculture". This is new to me. The idea is great. Basically it seems to involve finding the best symbiotic patterns for healthy gardening. The horsetail spray was something a guy used to keep problems in check with squash. There's a youtube video on it if you all google for horsetail spray gardening. The leaves were freaking phenomenal. Super healthy, super green. So I was sold on what the ICmag user posted and I'm trying this spray myself.

Today I hit 10 of my girls with it and a giant plumeria tree that had rust and black mold problems last year. The latter already had a tiny bit of rust on some leaves. The girls had no problems, this is for prevention. I have to say that 2 hours after spraying the girls today the 2 different sativa types looked way perked up. I could see a difference from 20 feet away without even getting closer. Supposedly the silica content is supposed to help strengthen cell walls. So I'm in Hawaii and I'm in a sweltering zone with lower moisture content. I think this spray might have improved water retention in the leaves causing them to all look perkier. This isn't some placebo effect either because I've been moving these girls in and out of a light for the last 2.5 weeks pushing them back into veg mode to get bigger since they autoflowered on me before reaching the height I wanted. I'm keeping notes on all of this. Supposedly the spray should be applied once every 2 weeks. Has any one tried this or know if it's safe to do it once a week? I just want to optimize things and if I notice their bosoms sagging then I wanna give em a lift. I have high hopes that this stuff will prevent PM since it's prevalent on these islands and I just don't want that shit on my plants. I had to cut a bunch of it off of plants last grow when I was in the jungle and I HATE losing bud.

If any one else is using horsetail please post your observations with it. I think this stuff has the potential to help many growers eliminate their use of heavy duty nasty chemical shit which would be good for every one down stream in the bud appreciation chain.

militia420

Sorry to say this. But 99.99% of the people who get busted are ratted out and/or were very careless.

I tried germinating seeds in solo cups and a small tote box filled with soil outdoors.
The small tote box produced more seedlings. I think solo cups dry too fast outdoors.
Which is bad when seeds are germinating. I do regret not starting seed indoors this
year. Last year, I had more and nicer plants by now.

I'd agree that it's a high percent for the things you mention. I think the states that started licensing are using it as a means for making it easier to monitor people and potentially bust them for growing over the allowed numbers (face it plant #'s is bullshit and most people are likely to violate the thresholds on the basic grow because of timing, phases, seedlings, cuttings, clones, etc). On some of the hawaii threads I follow it's clear the choppers make rounds over licensee's places. They do the random scouting but that's like finding a needle in a hay stack if some one is smart about their grow setups. And if they do indoor it really makes snooping tough (I have sneaking suspicions about smart meters and potential ballast signatures, all of which could be remedied if a grow was setup to operate off of an intermediate battery bank that would filter all electrical signatures going through meters or back to the electric company.). My partner got ripped years back because he had to show 2 friends. The one was as loyal as they get and never ran his mouth, the other was a shit head who my partner should have judged better, and that's the one who ran his mouth and helped the rip.

Loose lips sink ships!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just fucking wow. Your governments are following the Taliban's lead on governing. Find something innocuous, make it illegal, and punish.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hey boys,

I've got some early season problems I want your opinions on.

The first is I was out checking one plot of mine yesterday. At this plot, which is a handful of plants spread out over an area the size of 2 or 3 football fields, I found a clean, dry, folded (not neatly -- like the fold that happens when you just push a few dollar bills into your pocket instead of taking the time to put them in your wallet) dollar bill maybe 25 or 30 yards from two of my seedlings. It was laying in the tall grass close to the ground. The grass in this area is about 4 feet high I'd say, and there are several deer paths running through it that any person in the immediate area would likely take themselves. Because of this, the two plants can't be seen until you're right on top of them but this will change later in the year when they're mature.

Like I said, the dollar bill was on the ground about 25 or 30 yards away. Could very well have fallen out of someone's pocket.... could be someone who found the plants and left bait to see if anyone else was coming through the area (I left it where it lay). Could even have fallen out of my pocket the last time I was there, but I doubt it because it's rained since the last time I'd been there and I don't think a dollar, even after drying out, would look so clean and dry after sitting out in the rain once or twice.

Should I transplant the two plants elsewhere while they're still young? This is what I'm thinking of doing. I figure it's best not to take any chances leaving them there if I plan to harvest them.

The second problem: at another plot I think I have a bear issue. I went to check on those seedlings yesterday and they'd been demolished. I had the plants in plastic cup cold frames with chicken wire cages staked down on top. The cages were mangled (not cleanly looking, rather like they were pulled and bent in various directions -- not the one big valley or flattened look they'd get from a boot stomping) and the plastic cold frames were pulled out of the cages. On one or two of the cold frames, it looked like I could see a tooth hole poked through.

This is the second time this has happened at this spot -- though it looked even more violent than the last occurrence. My thought is that the people who live nearby (a handful of houses about a mile away, a couple more a little closer) are pieces of fucking shit who don't properly secure their trash from bears. I think that some bears in the area have learned to associate the smell of plastic with food and so they're trying to get at the cold frames repeatedly. They're not digging through the dirt at all. Also, I wasn't able to see any of my seedlings. Maybe they were just smushed below the cover crop (which was flourishing), but maybe they were eaten/pulled?

It could also be that I'm a fucking idiot and the bears smelled the coconut water I'd poured on them a while ago (the natural sugars are a great fertilizer/boost for the plants).

What do? Should I replant the wholes with freshly germinated seeds for a third time? Should I find somewhere else 40 or 50 yards away? No cold frames or coconut water?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
A fresh bill in your wallet bends easily. One that's been wet tends to firm up.

Bears? no idea. They sell animal replant but I don't know if that works with bears.