What's new

Any SLR Macro camera experts?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Im in the market for an SLR camera for shooting macro pictures of cannabis...similar to what Mr. X and several others have been doing here on IC. I want to be able to take very detailed macro shots of cannabis that looks like you are looking through a microscope..

only problem is that im technological impaired and after doing independent research i am totally confused by all the different lenses and other technical speak..

Mr. X says he uses a Canon 7d with 15-85is for general shots, and mp-e65 with ring flash for the macros.

Now thats a 1500 dollar setup right there...id hate to go drop all that money and than learn later you can take really good macros with a 400 dollar SLR from bestbuy...

im currently using a Canon sd1000 powershot and it takes good pictures but macro is totally worthless, cant even zoom in and take pictures of a dead fungus gnat or get really detailed crystals...i swear iphones take better pictures than my powershot..

any advice thanks in advance and positive rep will be dished out!

heres one of Mr. X's pictures..
picture.php

And another one of my favorites from stumbleweed..
attachment.php

and heres the best i could do with my SD1000 powershot...
picture.php

H

Hazyfontazy

you dont need to splash all that cash if u want to take macros ,,lots of compact digitals macro at 1 cm which is close enough for trichs ,which is basically all u need ,a camera capable of 1cm macro ,u can get practise using a cheap compact then upgrade as u see fit ,,

heres a pic using a Pana Lumix FZ18 which which can be bought for as little as £148
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...?ie=UTF8&qid=1326395185&sr=8-1&condition=used)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=809854&ppuser=75806

have fun trying :tiphat:

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think you'll get the cripsness of mr X type images, but for a cheapie option you could try a jewellers loupe using your existing point and shoot?

I'm tempted to try the above or have a play with a USB microscope (+ lots and lots of practise) :)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
One thing you can do with cheaper cams is select between single or multi point focus. Macro topography has a way of fuzzing focus. Hand shake doesn't help. A mini-tripod or tripod helps when using time lapse - no shake.

I've also noticed my cheap cam tends to blur on the auto setup. Manually setting the conditions for light and distance helps focus, assuming your flash has varying brightness levels.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there is no point and shoot on the market that will take pics like a DSLR camera..

I use a Nikon D90 with a prime macro lens and extension tubes. I also have studio lights.. That lens MPE-65(800$) is the best macro lens on the market. DD uses it. If you want macros like that Canon is they way to go since they have the best macro lens. Here is some I took with my Nikon D90. I can take some outstanding Macros but it is very time consuming. You take 100 and keep 10..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I used to do a lot of macro photography but haven't upgraded to a new system for the digital age. When you get down really small you're fighting a number of issues. A big one is trying to get a fast enough exposure to avoid camera shake affecting the picture. Another is that the depth of field becomes incredibly narrow, you can't have everything in focus. You can increase depth of field by using a smaller aperture, but this chokes off the light, requiring a longer exposure. A longer exposure is limited by camera shake. Wait didn't we start out talking about camera shake?

The ticket to clean handheld macro photos is a system that throws a lot of light on the subject for a fast exposure. Since everything's so close it's easy to wash out parts of the picture while other stuff is too dark. That's why people use ring flashes which illuminate the subject more evenly. Used to be that you could use one flash on the camera and another hooked up to a cheap slave unit but that doesn't work with modern systems that use a preflash to focus and adjust exposure. If you invest in a SLR for macro, the camera and specialized lens will set you back but be ready to throw money at your flash system also. If you go big it had best be backed up with a lot of research. Guess I can't say more because I know the principles but not the specific newer systems you'd be interested in.

LeeROI

"Any SLR Macro camera experts?"
I just bought one so I'm an expert. :) $1500us is the magic number for new equipment, I think. I recently asked the IC photo forum what could be had for $1000.

My Xmas present to myself: Canon T2i (with "toy" zoom kit lens) $600; Canon EF-S 60mm USM Macro lens $400.

My New Year's present: Canon Macro ring flash with 52mm filter ring $500.

Sooo . . . $1500 for the system with the caveat that the EF-S macro lens is not usable on a full-frame body (the T2i is aps-c format).

Edit: the "Canon 52C MACROLITE ADAPTER" ring isn't needed.

K

KSP

Nice shots. Focus stacking software is nice also, if you would like incredible depth of field for any reason.

opt1c

Veteran
fwiw i took the pic above by hand with no special lighting other than a 1k metal halide overhead ;) use what i got

i'm pretty sure the canon g series can accept macro lenses and it is supported by chdk which is a pretty sick firmware hack if ur really into photography; way over my head

this is about as close as i can get with this camera...
picture.php

if you want to get closer i think you have to get a lens and a flash ring

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have seen some point and shoot cameras coming out that have a few changeable lenses. It all depends on how clear and how close you want to get..

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
I have a Nikon D5000, i need a macro lens bad. Very Nice Shots Hammerhead i need one of those lenses

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea someone told me that if you get nikon or canon you have to use only that brand for lenses.....canon seems to be the best but i guess there are die hard loyalists on each side..

awesome pics hammerhead thats the kind of quality im shooting for....i got a bunch of research to do....

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes thats correct. I use a SLK AMT Tripod. Cant take macros with out a Tripod and a remote shutter release. Here is a list

1.DSLR Body
2.Lens x2 one for Macros one for everyday Photos.
3.Tripod
4.Lights
5.Extension tubes/Bellows
6.Remote shutter release
7.Flash( most have a built in flash) I got external flash so I can remote locate it.
8.Macro ring led light
9.Battery pack holds 2 Ni cad battery's instead of 1.
10.Reversing rings(I dont use them very hard to get good pics) I have seen some outstanding pics using these.
11.Large enough bag to carry all of your gear.
12.Lens cleaning kit.
13.Multi Coated Glass Filter to protect the front glass on the lens..

TOTAL COST 2500$

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Canon G11 - best non slr option i found... half the price of a dslr
picture.php

fwiw i took the pic above by hand with no special lighting other than a 1k metal halide overhead ;) use what i got

i'm pretty sure the canon g series can accept macro lenses and it is supported by chdk which is a pretty sick firmware hack if ur really into photography; way over my head

this is about as close as i can get with this camera...
picture.php

if you want to get closer i think you have to get a lens and a flash ring

Killer price and Killer Reviews, think i found what i want!

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-G12-Digital-Stabilized-Vari-Angle/dp/B0041RSPRS

Easygrowing

Veteran
Sonys Nex series gonna be the closed you can get slr-But it will be nearly so expended as Canons i would give those 1500-if you can and you have a very good cam for many many years..have just buyed an Powershot again SX 40 HS and im not saticfied with those Macros and if blitz are on then Macro-the lens does shadow because it,s an highzoom so the lenz is longer or the blitz they maked to closed to the cam..the 7 years older A95 also PS was better in macro and it had even no Cmos sensor and older processor...

have readed good about Panasonics GF 1 but expended..would go after those you name or an older Canon mabye...

SX 40 very good in all others situations-not in macro.

great macros Hammer i has to say.

picture.php
those was shot with A 95 from Year 95 only 5 MP and it,s not in macro those -normal func-and handholded.
picture.php
bout 400 bucks 6 years back..
in auto focus also in free hand.Dont shoot me,he said-but i shot him in a way.
picture.php

For an 2005 model 400 bucks after an while i buyed one more for only 200 model was taken out-not an stolen one . ) nope.
picture.php
not bad hold handed again no blitz and a bit wind and a deep can came into even you could not do 100 % manuel-very fast shutter time low iso and keeps hands qouit
picture.php
trics it could catch also : )
@ Foomar-i know about macro in slr-was for telling on those and many others PS cam,s-you dont can does manuel focus-on the new xs 40 i can,on a wheel..
Then PS does it,it always in steps and stopping then you takes finger of button,but very often,they getting out of focus so..Nope buy an really slr instead if..
Just saying ,is many money for take trics,if only for this....

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
You invest in a system. Nikon and Cannon lenses are not interchangeable. Other lens manufacturers sell their lenses with different mounts. Macro lenses are often made to be used mounted backwards for higher magnification. Bellows and extension tubes move the lens out from the camera body for higher magnification. A longer focal length lens (100mm instead of 50mm for example) gets the camera away from the subject, giving you more room to work and reduces the amount of distracting background in your photos. The on-camera-flash is not angled properly to illuminate an object just inches in front of the lens. For macro flash photography you need a ring flash or other flash/fill-flash or flash/reflector combo mounted to properly light the subject. The big advantage of SLR is that you are seeing through your lens and can tell exactly what is in focus at the moment.