What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OG KUSH - Mastering the PINE flavor!

Rondon

The aroma we are looking for is a result of the plant using enzyme cofactors to synthesize turpenes. When the plant is provided with a full range of trace elements, it will synthesize a more diverse turpene profile.
This is spot on. If you have strong starting genetics...dialing in a feed regimen is important but nowhere close to having strict environmental control day to day as the weeks progress. Ive been growing nonstop for decades and ive found that dropping temps and humidity towards the last few weeks in increments (along with a steady 1000 to 1500 ppm of consistent lights on CO2) really brings out the most of the genetics your running. That being said..using a soy plant protein hydrolysate supplement and a quality fulvic acid along with the base nutrient feed unlocks (the cofactors) or switches the terpene and trichome production to full tilt. These supplements also chelate your micronutrients into a readily absorbabale form...making the most of what you got.

rjrom90

Great post, I forgot to mention the environmental side of things. Dropping temp and humidity during last few weeks will decrease the evaporation rate of terpenes while encouraging increased production due to lower humidity. Terpene production can also be increased by switching to high UV light in late flower (CMH or MH).

Rondon

I'm surprised no one has really answered your question correctly here. Where are all the real OG Kush Growers At? I ran into this thread and read it since I also had the same questions back in the day. I'm from the SFV and I been growing the clone only "Sativa Dominant OG Kush" and a bunch of all the other commercial "Indica Dominant OG Kush" that have flooded and diluted the quality of the OG market here in LA and the SFV. I've come across, seen, grown and sampled a shit load of different types of OG Kush strains that are currently out there. All these names are just marketing gimmicks done by certain breeders and growers that have a pheno of the "real deal" and call it "Whatever" OG Kush. Don't get me wrong they've done a great job to capture the look, the crystals the big bugs etc but they all pack a decent punch compared to any other non OG strain. But where all these commercial strains fail is at the smell, taste and the overall high.

You want the strong smell, taste and full flavor of the real go kush? The most important thing is? GENETICS. Second is environment and nutrients and Third is the drying and curing which is the obvious..."Fundamentals"

Their is a reason why everyone always tells me. Damn your shit smells the most. It has the best flavor and the high is energetic and euphoric. Bringing this narcotic type warmth feeling inside you that makes you feel good and sparking artistic creative energy inside you. At lest for me it does.

From the looks of the info you have provided it seems to me that you may not have the real go kush clone. Cause I could piss on that plant and still have it come out with the strong odor and full flavor taste. As long as I Don't burn the plant. The real Sativa dominant OG Kush clone is a very light feeder. It's a real skinny, finicky bitch that doesn't forgive. You feed her wrong, or you get bugs on her like spider mites then your weight is axed in 1/2. Big losses people pissed etc.. While the other commercial OG's you can have bugs, over feed the hell out of it and still pull 1.5- 1.75 lbs per 1000 watt. Where as the real bitch will give you 0.75-1.0 lbs per 1000 watts under the same conditions. It takes 1/2 the nutrient strength fed to the bigger and most robust Indica dominant OG Kush Phenos. Most people that try growing usually burn it and it ends up turning out darker than normal but the smell and taste can be full flavored as well under these conditions.

PINEY VS LEMONY VS LEMONY/PINEY

All shit aside. I spend about 25% on nutrients compared to what the average OG Kush grower spends. The key is to keep it simple and OLD SCHOOL. This is how they did it back in the day assuming you have the real deal Sativa OG Kush Clone. You can try it with the other commercial OG and you will get a variation in taste as well from Piney to Lemony but not noticeable and prominent like the "real deal" The smell is so strong that after trim sessions I've changed all my clothes, taken a shower and when I go into a room people are still like damn you smell good what you smoking.

AND ONE LAST THING. FOR TASTE. MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU ARE TAKING DOWN YOUR BUDS, MOST YOUR LEAVES ARE YELLOW FROM SLOWLY BRINGING THE PPM'S DOWN AFTER WEEK 6, you almost got to starve them or run them right under optimal so the leaves start losing their green slowly making your bud have that rich full flavor.

Old School Recipe #1 (Piney)

Base Nutrient: SBA,SBB
Blooming agent: Start with Monster Bloom and finish with Over Drive
Silica: Pro Silicate
Carbs: Carbo Load

Old School Recipe #2 (Lemony)

Blooming agent: Start with Big Bud and finish with Over Drive

Old School Recipe #3 (Lemony/Piney)

Blooming agent: Start with Monster, then Big Bud & finish with Over Drive

I think this is the dude from another forum that really broke it down in how to unlock the legendary real deal OG KUSH. Its gotta be him. Not many run Super Veg and Bloom anymore. But anyways..yeah...this dude has sfv totally DIALED for max yield (let's face it...its tough to get the weight you want from the OG) and max terpene development. OG can be picky for me..but I think I got her dialed in as well. But prolly nowhere near this cat.

lizzy3

I'm surprised no one has really answered your question correctly here. Where are all the real OG Kush Growers At? I ran into this thread and read it since I also had the same questions back in the day. I'm from the SFV and I been growing the clone only "Sativa Dominant OG Kush" and a bunch of all the other commercial "Indica Dominant OG Kush" that have flooded and diluted the quality of the OG market here in LA and the SFV. I've come across, seen, grown and sampled a shit load of different types of OG Kush strains that are currently out there. All these names are just marketing gimmicks done by certain breeders and growers that have a pheno of the "real deal" and call it "Whatever" OG Kush. Don't get me wrong they've done a great job to capture the look, the crystals the big bugs etc but they all pack a decent punch compared to any other non OG strain. But where all these commercial strains fail is at the smell, taste and the overall high.

You want the strong smell, taste and full flavor of the real go kush? The most important thing is? GENETICS. Second is environment and nutrients and Third is the drying and curing which is the obvious..."Fundamentals"

Their is a reason why everyone always tells me. Damn your shit smells the most. It has the best flavor and the high is energetic and euphoric. Bringing this narcotic type warmth feeling inside you that makes you feel good and sparking artistic creative energy inside you. At lest for me it does.

From the looks of the info you have provided it seems to me that you may not have the real go kush clone. Cause I could piss on that plant and still have it come out with the strong odor and full flavor taste. As long as I Don't burn the plant. The real Sativa dominant OG Kush clone is a very light feeder. It's a real skinny, finicky bitch that doesn't forgive. You feed her wrong, or you get bugs on her like spider mites then your weight is axed in 1/2. Big losses people pissed etc.. While the other commercial OG's you can have bugs, over feed the hell out of it and still pull 1.5- 1.75 lbs per 1000 watt. Where as the real bitch will give you 0.75-1.0 lbs per 1000 watts under the same conditions. It takes 1/2 the nutrient strength fed to the bigger and most robust Indica dominant OG Kush Phenos. Most people that try growing usually burn it and it ends up turning out darker than normal but the smell and taste can be full flavored as well under these conditions.

PINEY VS LEMONY VS LEMONY/PINEY

All shit aside. I spend about 25% on nutrients compared to what the average OG Kush grower spends. The key is to keep it simple and OLD SCHOOL. This is how they did it back in the day assuming you have the real deal Sativa OG Kush Clone. You can try it with the other commercial OG and you will get a variation in taste as well from Piney to Lemony but not noticeable and prominent like the "real deal" The smell is so strong that after trim sessions I've changed all my clothes, taken a shower and when I go into a room people are still like damn you smell good what you smoking.

AND ONE LAST THING. FOR TASTE. MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU ARE TAKING DOWN YOUR BUDS, MOST YOUR LEAVES ARE YELLOW FROM SLOWLY BRINGING THE PPM'S DOWN AFTER WEEK 6, you almost got to starve them or run them right under optimal so the leaves start losing their green slowly making your bud have that rich full flavor.

Old School Recipe #1 (Piney)

Blooming agent: Start with Monster Bloom and finish with Over Drive

Old School Recipe #2 (Lemony)

Blooming agent: Start with Big Bud and finish with Over Drive

Old School Recipe #3 (Lemony/Piney)

Blooming agent: Start with Monster, then Big Bud & finish with Over Drive

lol!
this is the most accurate post i can think of!
genetics is it!

pretty sure i used to get the sativa dom og you speak of...
thats what i was told at first.. it did not seem like sativa.
nothing else like it.

that is og kush. lol

the fire og 1996 i think, could have been 1994 hybred... that was on a whole other level!

true fire!
greasiest thing i have ever seen.

i kept asking wtf they were doing to get this sort of thing. i even had them write down nutes and feeding. i didnt believe it!! lol
think i lost that email.

also yeild... aways told about n lb per 1k.

out of... idk how many with some sorta kush in the name.. those are the true og!

Absolem

Off topic but what the hell.

I live in Michigan. Years ago we had this "strain" around Christmas time refered to as "Christmas" weed. It had one hell of a pine flavor to it. Always able to get it when the summer harvest came in.

I was talking to a old time grower many years ago. I asked him if he ever ran that "Christmas" weed that tasted like pine cones. He laughed and informed me a lot of Michigan weed tasted that way was from planting it outdoors under pine trees and the sap from the trees would fall on the buds and give them that piney flavor. Then we laughed about it for a long time.

Not saying pine flavor from weed comes from pine trees. Only that the "Christmas" weed we got back in the day got it's piney flavor from pine trees themselves. Every time I smoke cannabis with a pine flavor it reminds me of the "Christmas" bud.

Nughugger

I like to run my og kush on the dry side like 30 percent humid I feel it get more pine notes that way. It does in my grow

Bobby Boucher

Christmas weed! I haven't seen that stuff here in Chicago in like 15 years since homie passed away. We called it pine-sol. I always wondered why the hell it was so god damn wispy. Grown under the shade of pine trees.. That's a riot.

Spring is just around the corner, dudes. Watch for motorcyclists.

Christmas bud was true pine, OG is pure cedar. The closest thing to pine these days still smells like cedar bark more than pine. Hit the essential oil store if you want to understand how these are related. Technically speaking all terps that are derivatives of other terps should be viewed as flaws, in the way that skunked beer is flawed. The most common terps in Cannabis are heat degraded turpentine. Pinene turns into myrcene,etc

But to throw a wrench, all the cedar trees I grew up with smell like whatever rocks were in the nearby creeks,and all the pine trees smelled like lemons in one valley and astringent cat turds in another. The last pine tree I smelled was a dead ringer for the best Bruce Banner I've smoked. Totally unique. Depends on the mineral and bacterial diversity.

Nothing really to contribute. I bought some Jack from a delivery service once, guy claims strong pine aroma, shows up with some nasty vanilla infused bud. I was thinking "who the fuck thinks this is pine?" so i looked it up and sure enough there's a local pine with vanilla tones (even though this was flavored nutes bullshit, not genetics)

Off topic but what the hell.

I live in Michigan. Years ago we had this "strain" around Christmas time refered to as "Christmas" weed. It had one hell of a pine flavor to it. Always able to get it when the summer harvest came in.

I was talking to a old time grower many years ago. I asked him if he ever ran that "Christmas" weed that tasted like pine cones. He laughed and informed me a lot of Michigan weed tasted that way was from planting it outdoors under pine trees and the sap from the trees would fall on the buds and give them that piney flavor. Then we laughed about it for a long time.

Not saying pine flavor from weed comes from pine trees. Only that the "Christmas" weed we got back in the day got it's piney flavor from pine trees themselves. Every time I smoke cannabis with a pine flavor it reminds me of the "Christmas" bud.

A lot of accidental genius in old school growing. It wasn't the resin dripping on them (pine trees don't drip, lol) Its the bacteria and the exudates in the soil. Cannabis evolves a symbiotic relationship with the soul bacteria, the trees exudates help express the pine exudate genes in the Cannabis and the pine bacteria are dominant in the soil so it sticks.. Thats how strains work, they adapt to what bacteria is available by exuding what those bacteria want. Different bacteria and different bacteria diets are the reasons we have strains. What bacteria, what they eat and what they poop out decides flavor and aroma. Genetics are just the pool to pull those expressions from. If you ever wondered why skunk has vanished, its because people don't feed the same crap and the bacterial populations have shifted to molasses feeders, plants who only attract molasses feeders.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts