What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side project micro grow to learn coco

JoeGrower619

So I've been growing on and off for 10 yrs. Consecutively the last 4 yrs. I've gone from a 4x8 tent to 2 3x3x6 DIY flower rooms and a veg cabinet while living on the couch in my wife's moms apartment. Then I was lucky enough to be offered an opportunity. My wife's brother set me up with his friends dad who needed a new grower and tenant. A basement converted into a 1bed 1bath house and the best part I walk thru a door to a storage room then thru another door where there a resivoiur sink work and clone area. One door leads to a 6x8 veg room and the other leads to the flower room with one 5x10 2k watt section and a 5x12 3k watt section all air cooled hps minisplit ac can run 110 to 240 volts on two 50 amp circuits. Not to mention I'm and his partner are in the process of getting into a legal commercial cultivation facility. A dream come true. Enough about how I got here and on to what this is about I've always run soil tried a round of coco and shit the bed transplanted back into soil. So now I wanna go coco again but I'm gonna be smart about it and not risk my whole lot on it. That's where the micro grow comes to play. So I can learn coco and get it down before I go switch my whole crop and risk an epic failure. I am super stoked to document this and have the support of the best forum of growers in the world please give me all and any info knowledge ideas an critiquing you can the more the merrier. I will end this post and start fresh with all the spec's. of this grow. Thank ICMAG friends

JoeGrower619

Specs of the grow

Specs of the grow

Grow specifications
Lighting) 4ft intelligent light source led bar
Medium) biobizz coco
Nutrients) veg+bloomHD base plus full VB line
Plants) all from seed testing crosses a friend did
Strains) 3 monstercookiesxspacedust 1 monstercookiesxpurplepiss 2 tomahawkxpink2.0
Monster cookies (G.S.CxG.D.P)
Spacedust (locktitexpink2.0)
Purplepiss (faceoffOGxcatpiss)xblackeyedkaty)
Tomahawk (GG4xstardawg)
Pink2.0 (predatorpinkxstardawgf2)

All sprouts were placed in pots on Feb 16th so they are a week in. Today was the first watering with plain tap water. All seems to be doing fine so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20180222_123339_726.jpg
    IMG_20180222_123339_726.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20180223_131530.jpg
    IMG_20180223_131530.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12

9DRAGONS

hay good luck with the grow man, what is this Nutrients) veg+bloomHD base plus full VB line?
is it mineral, or organic?

JoeGrower619

Here's a link to the Veg+bloom site
https://hydroponic-research.com/
It's an awesome 1 part powder base nutrient they have it in soft/ro for Hydro, tap/hard for Hydro in tap water, dirty for soil, and HD is a version of hard/dirty for any use. There's also a formula for dosatrons as well it really popular with commercial growers. I love it very low cost and the results speak for themselves. They have great additives as well flower booster Shine, a root product full of myco's Life, a foilar called push, and a new product stackswell

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hi Joe! Congrats on getting this coco grow underway. I'm a HUGE fan of coco and I've been growing in coco longer than any other medium at this point. Here's a few tips for you if you'd like. Keep in mind these tips are based only on my experience growing in coco others might have different opinions. You also might already know all this stuff, but hopefully it'll be beneficial to someone.

1. Treat coco like you'd treat hydro. You'll want to keep your PH between 5.5-6.0. One of my first big mistakes when starting out in coco was using regular un-PH'd water and the plants let me know almost immediately that they didn't like this.

2. Once roots are established in seedlings you'll want to water them daily. When they start out I water every 2-3 days until they have developed decent roots.

3. Coco is a relatively inert medium so you'll want to start feeding low doses of nutrients around the one week point. I usually flush my coco with lots of water then "pre-charge" my coco by thoroughly watering it with 1/4 strength nutrients in PH'd water.

4. After about the one week point when you start feeding them, feed+water them every single day. My plants in coco all receive water+nutrients daily in veg, and they'll usually get watered+fed 2-3x (or more) daily in flower; but at least once a day.

5. Keep an eye out for cal/mag issues. I've found this to often be the first issue that comes up when growing in coco. When I was starting out in coco this is an issue I ran into frequently. Make sure the plants are getting cal/mag in their nutrients.

Best of luck! I love everything about coco; the simplicity, the speed, and the results! I grow almost exclusively in coco now and everything seems to love it.

Cheers,

Kas

JoeGrower619

Kaskadian thank you so very much I am soaking up every bit of your info. When I was in my 2 3x3x6 flower rooms I built I ran a 600 watt hps in each one 9 plants 3gal soil pots I was pulling 12 to 14 oz's per room. Then I moved to my new room under 5 1k watt hps and Im yielding crap last round under 4k of hps I barely pulled 3 lbs and that's including popcorn and all. So I have always been intrigued with the yield and quality from coco so I instead of a leap of faith I'll add a Lil side step to learn my way then make the big jump and switch over. Thank you for all the help hope you stick around.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Kaskadian thank you so very much I am soaking up every bit of your info. When I was in my 2 3x3x6 flower rooms I built I ran a 600 watt hps in each one 9 plants 3gal soil pots I was pulling 12 to 14 oz's per room. Then I moved to my new room under 5 1k watt hps and Im yielding crap last round under 4k of hps I barely pulled 3 lbs and that's including popcorn and all. So I have always been intrigued with the yield and quality from coco so I instead of a leap of faith I'll add a Lil side step to learn my way then make the big jump and switch over. Thank you for all the help hope you stick around.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with coco! I'm sure you'll do great.

:tiphat:

JoeGrower619

So today was there first feeding wich I gave them 1 gram of base veg bloomHD
1/8th tsp of life
1 tsp of Cal mag
Ph at 5.6
Only fed half of the gallon I made up.

Attachments

• IMG_20180227_164843.jpg
    IMG_20180227_164843.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Ive been a soil grower for a long time and want to try coco as well. I've seen and heard nothing but great stories. If you follow Growmau5 or Vader OG on youtube they kill it in straight Canna coco using Canna Coco A/B. As long as you supplement with Cal-Mag and keep your pH a bit under 6.0 you're golden. I'll be following your progress and best of luck to you.

-Funk

JoeGrower619

Awesome thanks glad to have you funkbomb I have seen so many ppl killing it in coco I get great results in soil I grow some fire but just can't ever get that yield and I see ppl blowing me out of the water in the yield department with coco I'm using veg bloom since its what I run in my regular grow but thinking when I switch my regular grow over I might run house&garden coco a&b or canna coco a&b. Seen great results with both but I might just stick with vegbloom it's cheap simple and gives great results but I just kinda like how the others are coco specific.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I'm in the same boat with you in regards to yield in soil vs coco. Every now and again I'll get a plant that kills it but that's usually from seed and no issues come up. I know Earth Juice has a new coco A+B line but I don't know of anyone who has used it.

-Funk