What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Current State of Web Design - Shoving Video Ads in People's Faces

St. Phatty

Yes, that's REALLY going to make me want to stay on a news website.

I've seen the WWW go from no ads, to 1 ad per page, to what it is now ...

10+ ads per page

video ads shoved in your face

etc.

I just shut down a Zero Hedge in a browser because they shoved a BIG video ad in my face - and there
was no way to get rid of it, except Control-W.

Who is buying what's in the ads ?

Not me !

(except maybe some seeds on ICMag :woohoo: )

Midnite Toker

Veteran
What does the future hold? 3D adds popping out on your lap? Maybe a stink or odor to get your attention? We will see before long. ~mT

BudToaster

Veteran
yes, news sites are getting impossible for me to tolerate ... looking forward to WikiTribune to get rolling. some of the .edu sites have good news/info. i know i'll never run ads on my website ... why would i want peeps to leave? of course, i have real content to offer, not "fake news".

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I recognize the layout template that shows the same silly non related ads
at the bottom of the page, lends zero credibility to the main content.

Next, lol

Max Headroom

Veteran
been using ad block plus, ghostery and other add-ons for years, so i only see a fraction.
can't imagine surfing 'unprotected'.
i hate advertising with a passion.

St. Phatty

I know a woman who runs a mail center place.

She used to get upset because I was always talking to her employees (mostly female). Usually about favorite TV shows.

Anyway, she is patient & hardworking and always has this look on her face like "I got work to do".

When she's sitting at her desk ... imagine me sticking Big Newspaper Ads right in her face, while she's trying to get work done.

She wouldn't stand for it. Her patience would crack.

I think she would make a good web designer, because she KNOWS it's not nice to stick big obstructions in people's field of view when they're trying to focus their eyes & minds on something.

Anyway, that's what the current vintage of ads does. I'm surprised people put up with this vintage of web design. e.g. Zero Hedge.

They are sure confused about Quantity vs. Quality.