What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any info on Skunk Red Hair

Cvh

Supermod
Hi all,

Before buying the seeds I'm trying to find some info on this strain called Skunk Red Hair.
It is supposed to be developped in the 80's. I can't find much info about it. Only a few old threads on Icmag with no info and the piece of text below I found on another website.

Is it maybe a Skunk 1 X Cali Orange cross?

Can you guess how a cannabis strain gets a name like Skunk Red Hair? Here’s a hint – it’s not because it’s the favorite strain among people who have red hair. This strain, very notable for its unique red looks, is one of the old-school strains, developed in the early 1980’s, back when people weren’t looking for the most outrageous THC content in a marijuana strain. Skunk Red Hair is a top quality strain from the days when quality was what the game was all about, and because of that, it’s a strain that’s still popular among the true connoisseurs, and the ease of growing it is why it’s popular among the newcomers.

Strain Description & Information

The only thing anyone is able to notice on a well-formed, mature Skunk Red Hair is the beautiful red color of the hairs that are covering the buds. It’s also noticeable that the tight buds aren’t as frosty as the buds of the newer, THC-richer strains, but that doesn’t really speak the truth about the quality of the high this marvelous cannabis strain induces. As for its general appearance, it’s a short, Indica type plant which will under the right circumstances produce several beautiful, red colas.

Reviews & User Highlights

Skunk Red Hair is a true Skunk strain – it has the skunk smell and a very sweet taste. The high it produces covers the mind and the body, but it’s a very mellow, medium-strength high at best. In fact, if the buds aren’t properly cured over a longer period of time, it’s very possible the high won’t be felt at all. Still, for those people who don’t want to get knocked out on weed, Skunk Red Hair is a perfect thing to dull the edge off of things for a short while, not take it off.

Grow Guide and Tips

Skunk Red Hair is not a very demanding strain, so much so that even novices can make it produce a very good quantity of buds. This strain has no special weaknesses, so only the regular care should be taken to make sure it’s pest, mold, and disease free – no extraordinary measures should be taken. Because it doesn’t grow tall, it’s a perfect plant to grow indoors, but it’s always idea to be prepared for the moment the Sativa in the strain activates and it starts growing vigorously with little notice. Not that it’s likely to happen, but better to be prepared than sorry.

Last edited:

window

Veteran
I don't believe it's a Cali-o cross as I seem to remember positronics used to sell Cali-o x skunk and skunk red hair.

Cvh

Supermod
believe it's a Skunk#2

Isn't Skunk#2 also the Road Kill Skunk Pheno?

Maybe this Skunk Red Hair strain is also worth looking into for people looking for that smelly RKS pheno.

The seeds I'm thinking of buying are from the old indica dominant 80's line maintained in Holland. Not a line like the current Skunk#1.
Maybe a Road Kill Skunk pheno might be hiding in this old line.

Some info on the origin of Skunk:
https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/origins-skunk/
...Nowadays, we find two main Skunk#1 variations: on one hand, we have Sam Skunkman’s “Sweet Skunk“, a mostly Sativa genetics with sweet, refined aromas and a very pleasant effect. On the other hand, the “Roadkill Skunk” – developed by Neville, who is currently working with Mr. Nice Seedbank – is an Afghani dominant Skunk line, with very intense aroma and a more relaxing effect...

Anyone any input?

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
The buds look nice. (Not mine picture)

Skunk Red Hair:
picture.php

Last edited:

mazar_man

It was just a selection of skunk#1 sold by positronics in netherlands in 90's. SamSkunkman was doing some of the breeding there at that time so prob one of his selections. I tried it right from the positronics bud counter.. goo, but nothing to get that excited about

bushed

I can tell you I smoked it from time to time around 2000, the above description you posted describes it well. Its very unique looking bud covered in red hairs. Its high was notably pleasant rather than strong and it had a sweet taste and would probably be low odor to grow.

Describing it now I think I might give it a go, I recently started not smoking every day and finding super high thc weed a little intense.

R

Rox

Isn't Skunk#2 also the Road Kill Skunk Pheno?

Maybe this Skunk Red Hair strain is also worth looking into for people looking for that smelly RKS pheno.

The seeds I'm thinking of buying are from the old indica dominant 80's line maintained in Holland. Not a line like the current Skunk#1.
Maybe a Road Kill Skunk pheno might be hiding in this old line.

Some info on the origin of Skunk:
https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/origins-skunk/

Anyone any input?

Skunk #3 is the road kill pheno....

This is what Reeferman has to say on this subject:

Quote:
The seeds I use for the mazar came from a friend of Sams who has maintained them since the early days in holland , Sam did not directly give me the genetics as I stated they came from skunkmans seed line , I have grown many many of the different variations and have smoked the kush from the famous clone these are the closest to the origional line avalable and I was told clearly that this line has not been comercially exploited .
As far as the skunk #3 sam told me to locate skunk #3 as it was the road kill pheno(to get the road kill odor we obtained it from 3 sources and bred it to purple skunk to make double skunk) , he did not directly give me the genetics I was very fortunate to have a friend who worked with sam since the very begining I was able to obtain a number of the early strains that had been maintained for years .
In my 2 years in Holland I went about picking the brain of the great pioneers and collecting everything that was recomended the irony was that it was not in holland where many of the great varieties ended up being .
I assure everyone that if they grow my mazr offering next to any of the versions mentioned they will be vastly different and superior .
I have nothing but the highest respect for skunkman and his work I am sure he knows exactly how I obtained these strains and from whom.
I am sorry if this causes any troubles I am simply trying to give credit where credit is due on the origens of these genetics unlike others who would just change the name .
I have never said the african black was from Sam I have had that strain for many years prior to meeting sam .
I have simply tried to be acurate and honest about the origen of my genetics I do travel around the world collecting authentic landraces , the only outside source I have used is skunkmans becouse I have no dought about there origens .

Reeferman

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1512686&postcount=45

http://m.cannabissearch.com/strains/skunk-3/

Classification: Indica-dominant
Growing Environment: Indoor/outdoor/greenhouse
Garden Skills: Beginner
Flowering Time: 8 - 10 weeks
Yield: Up to 3 lbs/sq. yard in SoG
THC Range: 10 - 15%
CBD Range: 0.8 - 1.2%
Medical Uses: Pain relief, vomiting, migraines, inflammation, stress, muscle spasms, insomnia
Breeder: High Quality Seeds
Cannabissearch.com Buzz Rating: The inhale is fruity and somewhat mediocre, while the exhale is packed full of danky, skunk flavor. The high comes on steadily and leaves you with a mellow but still pleasant high.

Skunk #3, a member of the Skunk family for cannabis was brought to us by breeder, High Quality Seeds. Skunk #3 buds are light-green in color with a multitude of short, orange pistils covering the bumpy foliage. Before you break apart these buds, not much smell comes from them, but once you crack one of them open or put one in a grinder, pungent aromas of skunk, lemon and pine will fill your nostrils.

Like most members of the Skunk family, Skunk #3 is highly suitable for beginning or even novice growers. She shows remarkable resistance to pests and disease, is vigilant, and provides exceptionally fantastic yields that are measured by the pound rather than ounce. When grown in a Sea of Green garden she’s known to reward experienced growers with over 3 pounds of medication per square yard. Outdoors, about a pound per plant can be expected. She also flowers for just 8 - 10 weeks, but some slight sacrifice is made in the potency of the medication, with a THC content no higher than 15% and a relatively low CBD content.

Many patients who are not fond of overly potent hybrids, tend to gravitate towards Skunk #3 when it’s available. It’s also a great addition to the garden of any medical grower looking to harvest an exceptionally heavy yield, whether outdoor or indoor. The flavor of these buds is that of a classic Skunk strain and leaves the smoker in a mellow, relaxed, and enjoyable medicated state.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
Thanks guys for all the input.

I have just placed an order for the Skunk Red Hair. I also grabbed a pack of Skunk#1, Skunk#11, Super Skunk and Skunk Cheese. So I can compare them all when I run them.

If anyone has more info on this strain pls share.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
^Interesting, I hadn't heard before of a strain that lacks Myrcene.

I have the seeds but I haven't run them yet. Maybe I'll pop them in a couple of months during a next run.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Born with an insatiable thirst to continually expand his knowledge, he started working at Positronics in Amsterdam, also known as the first grow shop in Europe. Towards the end of the 80s, Ferry was producing clones and had already started breeding new genetics for Positronics. Ferry’s first strain ever bred was Skunk #2, known in the Netherlands as the Red Hair Skunk.

I think that it is Sensi's sk 1 ibl