What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So are there any go to landrace breeders left?

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know we can look forward to some bodhi offerings coming up but is there anyone else in the game still active or is it really that dismal? =X

bigbag

Veteran
the problem with working landraces is, in general, one has to wade through a field of specimens to find diamonds in the rough...;)

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes very well aware of the work that is needed heh :p We used to have Cannabiogen and Ace to run too but it seems they are putting the breaks on things and Charlie has still thrown the hat in.

corky1968

Veteran
RSC only deals with landraces.

Ace has good things as well.

Never dealt with Cannabiogen yet though.
But I will I have no doubt on that.

B

Baron Greenback

You can get some nice stuff from Tropical seeds company and those lovely, lovely people at Ace will have the below list soon :)
Honduras regular (available in August)
Ethiopian regular (available in August)
Zamaldelica x Kali China fem (available in July)
Angola x Kali China fem (available in July)
Bubba Kush x Kali China fem (available in July)
Purple Haze x Honduras regular (available in August)
Green Haze x Honduras regular (available in August)
Panama x Honduras regular (available in August)
Tikal x Honduras regular (available in August)
Zamaldelica x Ethiopia regular (available in August)
Angola x Ethiopia regular (available in August)
Angola Bangi x Ethiopia regular (available in August)
Malawi x Ethiopia regular (available in August)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yes very well aware of the work that is needed heh :p We used to have Cannabiogen and Ace to run too but it seems they are putting the breaks on things and Charlie has still thrown the hat in.

What evidence do you have that Ace and CBG are hanging it up???

Real seed company
World of seeds
Tropical
Seedsman
Ace
CBG

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The thing about working with landraces is that using them in order to create something brand new, original and outstanding (not some trial/error crosses with big named hyped strains you get form other people that anybody else could be doing, given the seeds or cuts), demands a huge amount of talent, experience, passion about the plant and full dedication to plants (not forums!). It's not just about getting money, easy props and superstar status within the community.

So the thing is that very few people are willing to invest all that. Especially since we all know there are much easier ways and shortcuts to success, isn’t it? It's cannabusiness guys, after all, most people doesn’t know anything about it. They completely ignore the secrets of the trade and what’s behind a brand. That’s how we ended with this ridiculous seed industry.

But as cannabis becomes legal and more widespread, the industry will have more tools and professionalism will appear. That will be most likely the end of most seed companies and superstar breeder-wannabes. They will simply fade out as the botanists and corporations take over.

Anyway, so for landrace based cultigens I’d go with CBG, Underground Seeds Co, Delicatessen, Kangativa/Nevil’s works… Chimera sometimes releases interesting landrace based hybrids too. Also Tropical Seed Co, Snowcap and Reeferman (haven’t seen reviews on his latest works though) have been around long enough to be considered as interesting options as well within such a limited scene, dominated by commercial seed companies. Lots of underground people too… but that’s all about it. Mandala and Tiki Seeds used to have interesting landrace hybrid too. But there isn't a big demand for this kind of strains either, so together with the difficulties that's the main reason for the lack of diversity and finesse.

You can get some nice stuff from Tropical seeds company and those lovely, lovely people at Ace will have the below list soon :)

Ethiopian regular (available in August)
Zamaldelica x Kali China fem (available in July)
Angola x Kali China fem (available in July)
Angola x Ethiopia regular (available in August)
Angola Bangi x Ethiopia regular (available in August)
Malawi x Ethiopia regular (available in August)

Sounds like someone has been doing some pollen chucking. Meanwhile, many seasons ago...

Charlie garcia said:
AngolaThai F1 was a mistake by us as should have stayed in private but for different reasons some were put in the market. Excuse me am not trying to justify or protect but respect some personal wishes of LMN. Is a cross between best La Mano Negra Alex (rip) Angola and a Meao Thai dad from me.

Yes, as charlie said, it was our mistake to gift angolese crosses. Angola liamba are mano negra's work. After talk with rainha ginga, we decided not to gift more angolese hybrid seeds. Rainha has the pure angolese genetics and crosses reproduced a few years ago by our collective. Please, we would apreciate not to talk more about this topic, cos we have never taken profit of Mano Negra's angolese and we would like to stay away from any polemic discussion. Thanks.

. We are not selling any angolese cross (as we promised to mano negra and rainha)but we are sending angolese x meao thai freebies with our ace seeds orders, we should also send some angolese thai seeds to SB, so people here can enjoy this kind of genetics too.

Angolese, all CBG strains, they tried with Oaxaca79 too (but someone stopped them), now Ethiopian Highland, Mauritius, what will be next? Year after year, the community neve ceases to amaze me. But is easy to see people's priorities and ethics.

They are just speculating with big named strains and works from other people. EH seeds that ACE got came from Collective Vibes members who reproduced them and worked hard to keep genetics outside greedy hands and the industry, they weren't meant to be sold. Same with the Mauritius, shared for reproduction purposes years ago. No ethics, no respect. Now let's see the great nice and creative histories we're about to read. :smoke:

Believe it or not, ACE are landrace hacks, that's what they turned since Charlie left, with him ethics and real breeding dissapeared too. We all know that any seed company releasing all those strains each year can't really be doing any proper breeding work, don't we? People should stop and think about it if they expect some degree of professionality as a customer.

Anyway, life goes on.

:tiphat:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks everyone for the replies and pms researching now!

What evidence do you have that Ace and CBG are hanging it up???

Real seed company
World of seeds
Tropical
Seedsman
Ace
CBG

Unless it changed Charlie announced awhile ago he was throwin in the towel. He announced it here on the forums. The other company just doesn't seem to be restocking or releasing anything new in awhile or maybe it is just the bou slow to stock new wares. I have been working with some awesome genes for years now and its time for me to start crossing them out to land races so I am in the market again for legitimate ones. If all else fails I will go get them my damn self heh.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I just started some "Angola Poison" and "Jamad " seeds that were given to me with the back story they are straight from Africa. Keep this thread current and I'm sure someone will help you out.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
And so the Second Age of Cannabis comes to a close.

I blame the hipster wankers.

Its so dank.

lol

Genghis Kush

Seeds of Africa - very inexpensive. sells varieties they say are from different areas of southern Africa, most likely all from South Africa though

French Touch seeds - has two different Zamal varieties

FireIn.TheSky

Thanks everyone for the replies and pms researching now!

Unless it changed Charlie announced awhile ago he was throwin in the towel. He announced it here on the forums. The other company just doesn't seem to be restocking or releasing anything new in awhile or maybe it is just the bou slow to stock new wares. I have been working with some awesome genes for years now and its time for me to start crossing them out to land races so I am in the market again for legitimate ones. If all else fails I will go get them my damn self heh.

This is not true, you must be looking at the wrong seedbank. I just checked the one I use and they have a full stock of most CBG varieties, plus newer strains.

CBG is currently working on some new stuff like Oaxaca, the work takes time, I'd be worried if he was throwing out 10 new strains per year.

CBG and Ace now sell directly, on CBGs website they sell many breeders work with landrace type genetics.

Keep in mind many CBG strains have been selectively inbred for many generations so they are not necessarily raw "landrace" genetics. To mean landrace implies wild harvested seeds. If you are looking for raw, Real Seed Co is what you want, they sell completely raw wild collected landrace lines. They do not breed any seed they just sell what they get from the exotic locations.

bigbag

Veteran
what ever happened to going to regions yourself, meeting farmers and smuggling seed back .../ ;)

corky1968

Veteran
what ever happened to going to regions yourself, meeting farmers and smuggling seed back .../ ;)

Get on a plane and go for it.

It's not as easy as you think.

Unless you can speak the foreign language your going to have problems.

Many people in those landrace regions don't trust foreigners as well.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Charlie said he was tired and quitting or something like that around 2 or 3 years back but is active again. He was over in Colombia last I checked and Mexico before that.

If ACE are hacks selling landraces that should not ever be sold, who is supposed to make them available to the public. No one? I have to know someone to get a landrace or just do without?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
If ACE are hacks selling landraces that should not ever be sold, who is supposed to make them available to the public. No one? I have to know someone to get a landrace or just do without?

Really? so why they should be made available to the public? is your home available to the public too? or even your wife? C'mon man, there are loads of strains or clones that aren't available to the public.

It should be the breeders who sourced and have been breeding them legitimately for years, the ones who should decide whether if they want to make them available and sell them (for example joint project between CBG/USC for releasing Double Jamaican, with the Lambsbread from Vibes Co) on them or if they simply prefer to keep gifting them out, like it was done until now, no money involved. That's something to be respected, while shitting on other people's works, trust and generosity is something really miserable.

That's the problem with capitalists... they fucking believe everything has a price and can be bought with money. Pretty sad to be honest and that's the issue nowadays, too many people trying to transform the plant into cash without any ethics.

But that's not the debate here, the debate is about a certain case about stealing stuff and scamming people. The truth will eventually come out so everyone knows, although "fanboys gonna hate".

Peace.