What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

germinated seeds, brown leaf tips

asher1er

Veteran
I pre soaked and germinated using paper towel method then put in sunleaves super starter plug, im plannig on dropping the plug into some bcuzz hydromix soil in a SOLO cup to let them root...they are about 3.5inches from the top of the starter plug to the leaves and some have a slight brown tip on them...whats wrong?

DSC00490.JPG

Poodo

They look like they are stretching for light a bit. It looks like the leaves that are brown are the first baby round leaves they usaully die after a little while. The jagged leaves are ok right?What lights are you working with?

asher1er

Veteran
yeah the jagged leaves are fine, i currently have 2 23watt cfl's 1600lumens each, maybe i need to get a shorter dome so i can place the lights closer? my dome is like 8 inches tall or so... should i add another pair of 23watt cfl's in there?

they are about 5 days counting from the day i put them in the starter plug

Last edited:

asher1er

Veteran
so i was told i didnt need a humidity dome, i took the dome off and put some boxes under my heat mat and tray to bring it closer to the light, i now have a couple that have some intense curling what could cause this? i will be putting a lil fan today to create some movement in there aswell

here are some pics and a pic of my quick lil rig

this ones in the right front of my tray

this ones in the cup

You need to have the lights on top of the pants All of your plants are bending to the light. with cfls you need to be about 2" above the pants.

asher1er

Veteran
yeah i set it up to where they are directly above them and straight up so they dont need to bend i also moved them around so all the ones that sprouted are in the same area, this is bag seed so its not that serious if i lose a few but the goal is to not lol

Mr.Gr33n

if they were my seedling, i would honestly remove em from the soil,
and put more of that stem into the soil.

so you only have maybe 2-3 inches of stem showing.

unless you want to waste alodda lower space.

to me gettin my plants bushy and small is a must.
to optimize the growth space, and also when they start on the
other sets of leaves its most def gonna fall over due to not being able to support
its own weight...

when it is 2-3 inches above the soil try the straw to support it
and for under 14 day seedlings i like to put my light 4" above
but i use a 200w envirolite for my
seedlings.

Last edited:

Poodo

It looks like you need a fan blowing across those little ones, it makes them stronger. You might have to replant them deeper not to much deeper cause you will get stem wilt from a mold.But Ive found when there is a fan on them they stay not as strechy and there stems harden faster.
And add two or three of those 23's if you can :wave:

Last edited:

Mackawber

that shit always happens. Throw some more soil at them and lower your lights. Turn a gentle fan on (not a hurricane) don't overwater them. Once they get acclimated, turn on the high intensity lights.

asher1er

Veteran
well i have 1 baby giving me yellow leaves dont know whats up with it...i added 2 more cfl's and im starting to see another set of leaves coming out on some the one with the yellowing is starting on the edge of the leaves even the jagged ones.
I got the fan going in there on low seems like a gentle breeze so hopefully thats good enough on another note im looking for a permanent light setup to make this box my veg box or clone box atleast so im looking for some opinions...

NEW WAVE T5 HO- 24 (2FT - 4 LAMP)

or

Compact Fluorescent Grow Light FIXTURE and Optional LENS w/200w light

basicly what im using as a seedling/clone area is an old wooden toy chest it measures 32"w 18"l and about 18"d i will be covering the inside with mylar aswell

Mr.Gr33n

straw works by splitting it open like from a

O to C then slip it onto the plants stem

if u can understand this

C- C straw - plant

asher1er

Veteran
yeah i figured it wouldn't hurt it, i switched the lights off today and left the fan on had to result to using bottled water as i tested the Ph in my tap water and it was well above 7.5..i'm getting ready to purchase my permanent seedling/clone light either one of the ones posted above, anyone have any opinions or recommendations?

If you have the space you could get some 4' t-8 shop lights, I run 4 of them in a 2'x4' area for a total of 256 watts. They are cheep too. I think I paid around $60 for all 4 and the bulbs(tubes) to go in them.

asher1er

Veteran
well i would like to keep everything within the wooden chest which i have 32inches width 18inch length thats why im thinking on going with one of the above

AlaskaGrows

hey asher hows it goin!

in one of those pics you showed us you had one of those metal hoods over the 23 w lights!!! i bet alot of HEAT comes out of there! i use 9 26w bulbs very similar to yours but i dont use a hood u dont really need it! check it out!

got 6 in top cab and then 1 set of 3 in the bottom half. it makes for a really dense canopy! the foliage can actually grow up around the bulbs and possibly even through the spiral because it hardly gets hot at all.

peace
AG

BTW: gladysvjubb- why do u push Grandma's so much? u know blackstrap is MUCH better right???? just thought i let u know...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts