What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Couple quick noob questions...

boolmag

Having trouble finding this info...

- Should the lights be on immediately after putting your germinated seed into the soil or is it better to wait until it first pops out of the soil?

- Apparently seedlings don't like drafts, but having a fan blowing on you plant will help toughen it up. At what point is it ok to turn the fan on & start blowing on the plant?

boolmag said:
Having trouble finding this info...

- Should the lights be on immediately after putting your germinated seed into the soil or is it better to wait until it first pops out of the soil?
Doesn't really matter, but if you let her pop out to (too many hours of) darkness she will stretch and have a long stem. Better to turn lights on immediately imo.

- Apparently seedlings don't like drafts, but having a fan blowing on your plant will help toughen it up. At what point is it ok to turn the fan on & start blowing on the plant?
Not sure what's the best method, but I've turned the fan on immediately after they pop up.

Good luck!

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I've only had a hard time getting the seeds to sprout a few times, but ever since I started using fresh seeds that are between 6-18 months old every seed has come right out of the soil a few days after planting.

As for the fan, it's pointless to use a fan while waiting for the seeds to sprout, but once they start growing you should keep a low fan on them, as they get bigger you could up the speed if you wish.

G

Simple like already stated. Put the lights on right when the seedling breaks the surface. Put the fan on low and maybe some distance away then also. The theory is the small hairs on the stem will feel the constant air flow will be picked up by those hairs and make the seedlings grow thick.

mtnxbiker

I don't think the plant needs light till the first leaves start to unfold. I started the light cycle before the plants even pupped up, just to be sure.

Awesome avatar BTW
Tool rocks! :headbange

The lights can supply warmth which will stimulate seedling growth, depending on strain, as well as giving the seedling an extra "clue" as to where the exit from it's soil cocoon is. It is good to put a fan on low early, even if you have to "stake' the seedling gently, as it will begin to develop a thicker stem sooner, as was mentioned above. All of this, from my experience, and I believe in several books as well.
The Afficianado

boolmag

Here's another one...

Up here there's no one that carries PH up/down for plants, but there's a pool shop that has it for pools in granular form. Is it the same thing/can this be used for plants?

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
boolmag said:
Up here there's no one that carries PH up/down for plants, but there's a pool shop that has it for pools in granular form. Is it the same thing/can this be used for plants?
My money is on NO...

But this brings up another question.
Are you growing soil or hydro?

With hydro I understand the need for direct pH balancing, but it seems unnecessary for soil grows.

If you apply dolomite lime to your soil mixture before planting anything in it, it should provide enough of a buffer to prevent you from having to worry about pH during your entire grow.

boolmag

Ok I just got back from all the pet stores in this rinkydink town, of course no one has any ph up/down. Everyone only has "water conditioning" tabs/powders...I did pick these up at wally's for cheap:

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TB640

Wonder if these will do the trick?

And the dolomite lime...Only one place in town had that, but now that winter's here it's gone, only available in the summer :wallbash:

8bitNES

My rule is if it isn't meant for plants that will be consumed, I stay away from it. You won't know what kind of chemicals they might put in there that would be toxic for human consumption. Products meant for aquarium plants might be OK since fish can live in the same environment but there are a lot of "fish OK" products that are actually bad for the fish which might be bad for us too especially in a vaporized form.

I keep low level lights on my seedlings even before they break soil. Usually sprouted with shaded sunlight in the belief that they'll receive some energy from the light.

8bit