What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(indoor) How do you handle your pots water that drains out?

InTheWhiteRoom

Hey guys im really really new to growing and wanted to see what sort tricks you use to drain the water or if you can give me some tips on getting rid of your run off from your pots when you water them inside.

I recently (2 1/2 weeks ago) started flowering a plant in soil and shes finally showing that shes a girl so im pretty happy!!! haha but its in a cabinet and under a scrog and is not movable anymore. The run off when i water runs out and leaks on my ground even if its just a little bit it still bugs me! and is starting to ruin the wood in the cabinet =( i should of thought ahead but as my first grow im learning WHILE growing so if anyone has any ideas let me know! thanks! :spank: :spank: :spank:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
I just put these lil trays under my pots i believe they are called super saucers. You can get em at home depot. Also you can try to water without getting runoff at all but you might have to water more often then.

InTheWhiteRoom

do the saucers fill up very fast ? i might be able to slide a small trey under the pot still. i had another bigger pot under neath but it filled up pretty fast and wouldnt fit under the screen so i had to remove it. maybe ill just have to put a tower under the pot for now? damn haha so much for thinking ahead!

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Hehe no matter how much you think something out you are almost always bound to forget something. Maybe put a big rubbermaid lid under it and put towels on it and around the pot everytime you water. The saucers will hold a lil of the run off but if you are watering your plants real heavy when you water it might not be able to hold all the runoff

For next run

For next run

add a 5* slope, get a cheap gutter that would run to a shallow tub.

IF this wouldnt interfere with passive intake holes it should be smooth.

keep it green

gladysvjubb

Veteran
The trick is to know how much water each size pot takes. Wait until you have a nice dry plant, fill up a squirt bottle or 1 quart bottle and slowly administer the water. When you see the first bit drain into your clear vinyl saucer, stop watering. make a mark on the bottle and you'll know exactly how much to give your plants. I usually get a small puddle but they suck it back up within an hour or so. I grow in 6" Standard (lily) pots and know that my plants will take 1 and 1/4 bottles when I water them. No mess and no fuss. I love growing this plant.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
chubbynugs said:
I just put these lil trays under my pots i believe they are called super saucers. You can get em at home depot. Also you can try to water without getting runoff at all but you might have to water more often then.

i have thoes under my potted palm trees they really hold weight.

in my grow room i grow in 5 gal black hydro buckets.
top one has a hole in it about 2-3 inches wide. the bottom one is normal, and has no holes. double the buckets up and you have a 4-5 inch gap between the buckets for the water to fall to. plus protection for the roots that will grow out of the hole.

...imo...

i dont know if u can see the 2 buckets at the bottom.

Home de pot buckets are 5$ and the thick black buckets at the hydro store are 5$, the black oens are better but in soil either will work. hd also sells white ones, they work with soil.

G

yeah, the two buckets looks the simplest then what just make sure to empty the bottom bucket so u dont get bacteria? i think ill try this myself

I always screen mine individualy and attach the screens to the pots.You can make the screens any size you want and still move the plants. It makes it a lot easier to water and care for your plants. You can also flower different strains and have plants of different ages flowering at the same time. All you have to do is raise the shorter plants to the height of the taller ones to keep your canopy level.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
little 1 gal rubbermaids work great for upto 2gal grow bags otherwise your bound for them round drain pans for under potted plants

G

bubbamizak said:
yeah, the two buckets looks the simplest then what just make sure to empty the bottom bucket so u dont get bacteria? i think ill try this myself

Try this, I use the largest drip saucer available and then I buy saucers slightly larger in diameter than the bottom of my planters and install them upside down in the larger saucer and sit the planter directly on top. If you put your bucket directly into the saucer it will take up most of the saucers capacity for holding runoff.

It is highly recommended allowing water/ferts to runoff to help cut down on salts buildup. I keep a 5 gallon wet-or-dry vacuum in the grow area and use it to slurp up the runoff from the saucers. This helps cut down humidity as well.

I use 15 gallon planters. Fully loaded with plant,medium, and water they are damned heavy. The Vac is a breeze, and I empty it into the laundry sink when it fills up. This setup makes leaching and flushing easier too.

There is no sloped to drain trough capability in my grow room, besides I don't like having crap all over the floor to trip over.

Happy growing and peace (good luck too)

Ty-Stik
:woohoo: :ying:

K

khaleel

i love the method someone suggested to me. just keep a smaller shop-vac next to the garden. (should be able to find one for $30-40) i use a pretty much equal parts soil/perlite mix, so when i water there is a lot of runoff. anyway, just take the filter off of the shop vac before you use it (if water is all you use it for you don't need a filter) and whallah. stick the hose in the black trays, suck out the water, and that's it. needs emptying once a week or so, depending on how big your garden is.

i use the big black trays though... if you use smaller, individual trays, maybe there is an attachment you can find that would fit where you need it. not sure.

anyway, good luck!

AlaskaGrows

i drive 60 miles to get spring water, haul 50 gallons in 5 gal containers, set plants up in a small kiddie pool over 3 milk crates. after water the pool is usually filled to the brim so i FINALLY bought a sump, before i would haul the water out by hand.

Storm Crow

Veteran
I grow in 19 gallon tubs.

I grow in 19 gallon tubs.

I bought them from Walmart for $4! They are just under 2 feet long and fit well in my 2 foot wide closet. They are about 18 inches wide and a dark blue-gray that blocks most of the light. Black would have been better, but I'll take what I can get!

The tubs have 1/2 inch holes in the bottom that I drilled for drainage. Each tubs sit on a bed of soda bottle caps lying on the over-turned lid (which allows better drainage and a bit more "water area" than having it just sitting in the lid). If the lids get too full of water, I just grab the old turkey baster and suck it out. I only have 3 tubs going with a total of 3 to 6 plants, at any one time, so it's not a big hassle. The waste water goes on my veggie garden right before I water it. I store the stinky stuff in a closed milk jug until I need it.

I don't do this too often, since I prefer several small waterings to one huge one. When I'm flushing, it's another story. It takes more time to do several small waterings, but I get a chance to look closely at the plants every day or two. I have never had a hermie slip by me yet! The few seeds I have allowed were all planned breedings. And yes, I have had a few hermies over the years I have been growing. - Granny :joint:

Mrpiston38

I have in my closet a Rubber maid tub on a slight tilt ( like 3/16") and have a drian hose that leads out of my house threw the floor. But since you cant do that maybe try and get your plant out for a few min and drill a small hole in the cab and set a bucket under it w/some kind of hose? just an idea.. sry it was so long winded lol

Mr.p