What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't get bulb close

Hey,

I can only get my net pots about 8" from my 105 w CFL bulb in my PC Case. I put my SWC tub under a bunch of tapes and dvd cases. However, if I get it any higher up to where it'd only be around 5", my PC case door won't close. This is all due to my SWC tub lid being just literally a HAIR too big. When it's at the base of the PC case, I have no problem closing it. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm trying to work around this. How bad will this distance from plant to light affect my plants? It's 105 Watts in about 1.5 sq feet. Thank you.

Mr_Ed

If it is only a hair too big you may be able to sand it down enouph to fit. Like panopticist said post pics and I am sure someone here will have a solution.

when a plant is starting out it doesnt need to be that close. THese smaller plants were planted as seed with the light at its current posistion and they havent stretched out at all and are growing with good speed.

As your can see the big plant for reference theres about 10-12 inches of headroom from the soil. Im using about 180watts cfl by the way.

peace

dope_roor

how big is the bulb?

i recently had to build a makeshift light and what i did was use a couple Y-adapters and fit them together sorta like building an arm and then place the bulb at the very end.

how is the light mounted? can that be modified so that it is lowerable? if it's mounted by something at the top maybe consider using hooks and chains for adjustable height.

Last edited:
I generally keep my light About 18" from my plants durring veg. I don't use cfl but I use t8 . There shouldn't be much difference. I ony run 32 watts psf and your running 70.
You got nothing to worry about.

Hey IC,

Thanks for the replies. The CFL is a 105 Watt, and I'd say about 11 Inches long. It is in a mounted socket, so I dont see it being lowered in any way, unfortunately. I'm just going to grow, and see how it turns out. They will just have to deal with the 8 inches of space, hopefully the stretching won't hurt the plants that bad until they get bigger. Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts