What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing containers

Miasa Mura

Hey ICMag friends!

After reading Tangwena’s Malawi Cob method and reflecting on Afghan Hash being cured in ceramic jars covered with wax, I’m curious if anyone has tried using containers other than plastic buckets, turkey bags or glass jars?

I’m thinking about testing some different containers like ceramic, stone, a few types of wood (maybe oak, redwood and madrone) and maybe metal then comparing the flowers (from the same plant for consistency) after a two month cure in each different container. Anyone else try anything similar yet?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hey ICMag friends!

After reading Tangwena’s Malawi Cob method and reflecting on Afghan Hash being cured in ceramic jars covered with wax, I’m curious if anyone has tried using containers other than plastic buckets, turkey bags or glass jars?

I’m thinking about testing some different containers like ceramic, stone, a few types of wood (maybe oak, redwood and madrone) and maybe metal then comparing the flowers (from the same plant for consistency) after a two month cure in each different container. Anyone else try anything similar yet?
Being a former Cigar Aficionado, I advise against anything wood, as wood will impart a flavour to your cigar/weed. Although I like the Spanish cedar taste in cigars, I am not sure I would enjoy it with cannabis.

soil margin

Veteran
I use a mix of brown paper lunch bags and glass mason jars. Forget who it was here on ICmag that described the method but they called it "progressive curing". Essentially you hang the bud as you normally would, dry it only partially though, you want the inside of the buds still pretty moist and the outside still a little moist. Then throw it in paper bags that are only about 1/3rd full so there is still plenty of room for air. Sitting in the bags it will dry out the outside of the buds but not the inside.

Then you put it in mason jars that are also only 1/3rd or half full so room for air. Sitting in the sealed mason jars it will pull moisture from the moist inside of the bud towards the drier outside, so keep checking until the outside of the bud is slightly moist again, then put back in the paper bags and repeat the whole process a few more times until the moisture level is fairly even throughout the buds and they are dry enough to be smokable. Then you put them in the mason jars, seal em up and let them sit in a cool dry place, burping them once every day or two for a month or so.

Kind of a pain in the ass, labor intensive process but it produces some really high quality flower without damaging terpenes, cannabinoids or the green matter. Not super practical if you're growing pounds and pounds but a nice method for small grows where you're only getting a few ounces or whatever.

Miasa Mura

Being a former Cigar Aficionado, I advise against anything wood, as wood will impart a flavour to your cigar/weed. Although I like the Spanish cedar taste in cigars, I am not sure I would enjoy it with cannabis.

Hey Switcher56!

I appreciate your insights, thank you! I’m actually alright with the imparting of some aromas and flavors from the wood. As you mentioned cigars, as well as wine are stored in various types of wood and impart subtle flavors that give the experience more texture.

I expect a lot of the trials to not taste the best but ideally I would like to see if, for example OG’s cure well in cedar and Purples cure well in walnut etc. (staring with broad strokes.)

Is there a helpful website or book you would recommend to learn more about types of wood and cigar curing?

Thanks again!

Miasa Mura

I use a mix of brown paper lunch bags and glass mason jars. Forget who it was here on ICmag that described the method but they called it "progressive curing". Essentially you hang the bud as you normally would, dry it only partially though, you want the inside of the buds still pretty moist and the outside still a little moist. Then throw it in paper bags that are only about 1/3rd full so there is still plenty of room for air. Sitting in the bags it will dry out the outside of the buds but not the inside.

Then you put it in mason jars that are also only 1/3rd or half full so room for air. Sitting in the sealed mason jars it will pull moisture from the moist inside of the bud towards the drier outside, so keep checking until the outside of the bud is slightly moist again, then put back in the paper bags and repeat the whole process a few more times until the moisture level is fairly even throughout the buds and they are dry enough to be smokable. Then you put them in the mason jars, seal em up and let them sit in a cool dry place, burping them once every day or two for a month or so.

Kind of a pain in the ass, labor intensive process but it produces some really high quality flower without damaging terpenes, cannabinoids or the green matter. Not super practical if you're growing pounds and pounds but a nice method for small grows where you're only getting a few ounces or whatever.

Hey Soil Margin!

Thanks for sharing the “progressive curing” process! I’ve been doing a very similar cure method for a long time and I agree, it’s time consuming and labor intensive but what fine art isn’t :D This has always yielded the most superior quality flowers and concentrates.

Thanks again!

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I kept buds to smoke in a cigar humidor. I'd take an ounce out a jar to smoke & by the second day it was aired out & smoked smoother. I was doing it with top bracts & every day or so I was taking out a top or the popcorn from the top & airing it out from the cure process to smoke it.

Then when I started to grow more I had a bigger stash & I was keeping an ounce ready to smoke or sell & peak.. I treated my customers well..

I never went through the process of getting the humidor to moisture content as I wasn't trying to add weight although that works too :)

I also like to vacuum pack weed but you need to be aware it will crush the flowers & you cannot command that same price with the stash after it's been molested like that or take a bit @ a time.

I've used Glass & plastic & I prefer plastic as when glass gets into the weed it's a criminal offence,,

Plastic until I'm sure it is dry enough.
Glass jars for the long term.
Ball Jars have amber jars now in my area. I'm going to try them. Blocks 99% of the light.

Miasa Mura

I kept buds to smoke in a cigar humidor. I'd take an ounce out a jar to smoke & by the second day it was aired out & smoked smoother. I was doing it with top bracts & every day or so I was taking out a top or the popcorn from the top & airing it out from the cure process to smoke it.

Then when I started to grow more I had a bigger stash & I was keeping an ounce ready to smoke or sell & peak.. I treated my customers well..

I never went through the process of getting the humidor to moisture content as I wasn't trying to add weight although that works too :)

I also like to vacuum pack weed but you need to be aware it will crush the flowers & you cannot command that same price with the stash after it's been molested like that or take a bit @ a time.

I've used Glass & plastic & I prefer plastic as when glass gets into the weed it's a criminal offence,,

Hey Matt Dave!

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I’m not looking to sell any flowers, it’s just about having some different headstash. Broken glass in Ganja is a big no,no!

Miasa Mura

Plastic until I'm sure it is dry enough.
Glass jars for the long term.
Ball Jars have amber jars now in my area. I'm going to try them. Blocks 99% of the light.

Hey Ace Rothstein!

Thanks for sharing your method! Excited to hear about the amber Ball Jars, I’ll have to keep eyes out for them. Thanks for the tip!

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah glass is crap. I want to buy my weed still hanging on the vine not in some jar that is badly looked after hiding from sight..

There are types of plastic that store cannabis better then glass.. You need to research it..

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a book on curing tobacco I bought in a stack of scientific books when the Horticultural library was being sold off when I was doing my studies many many years ago.. I left it with DocLeaf..

You just hang it if your not selling it..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hey Switcher56!

I appreciate your insights, thank you! I’m actually alright with the imparting of some aromas and flavors from the wood. As you mentioned cigars, as well as wine are stored in various types of wood and impart subtle flavors that give the experience more texture.

I expect a lot of the trials to not taste the best but ideally I would like to see if, for example OG’s cure well in cedar and Purples cure well in walnut etc. (staring with broad strokes.)

Is there a helpful website or book you would recommend to learn more about types of wood and cigar curing?

Thanks again!
That's a tough one good buddy (book). Yes I like oaky wines and port but not all the time.

Miasa Mura

I have a book on curing tobacco I bought in a stack of scientific books when the Horticultural library was being sold off when I was doing my studies many many years ago.. I left it with DocLeaf..

You just hang it if your not selling it..

Hey Mate Dave!

Do you remember the name or author of the tobacco curing book?

The point of this experiment is to further my knowledge and understanding of cannabis curing. I’ve seen lots of plastics being used as well as glass and turkey bags and haven’t ever heard of people curing in airtight wood containers or stone, etc.

Various curing creates really unique expressions of the cured product. I’ve researched tea processing as well as wine making and feel that cannabis has lots more possibilities for different drying and processing pathways.

In Morocco (the largest global supplier of hashish) they dry the flowers on the roof tops and the oxidation of the terpene beta-myrcene is converted into Hashiene a “new” terpene with under-researched, potential medicinal values.

https://hightimes.com/strains/hashishene-the-new-terpene-on-the-block/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25454145/

According to the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia on Cannabis Inflorescence, various landrace varieties have traces of unique cannabinoids. Further research should be done to see if this is due to environment, genetics, processing or combination there within. I’m preordered their update monograph titled Cannabis Inflorescence Therapeutics, hoping they might give deeper insights to this information.

https://herbal-ahp.org/

Attachments

• 4695C781-23F0-4E00-B95A-7E039524EC36.jpg
    4695C781-23F0-4E00-B95A-7E039524EC36.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 29

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Miasa Mura. I do not remember the author but I send the dude some Autoflower pips recently so I will contact him now & find that authors name for you..

Interesting link on the Hashish terpene..

I can get 5 types of moroccan currently.. They are all amazing quality.. I won't mention the names of them all, they all have their own unique qualities..

The best Moroccan isn't dried on roofs, they make curing sheds if you look @ Gypsy Nirvana Riff Kiff video on the Youtube you will see these sorts of huts. Spiders caterpillars & all..

It also depends on the year as to what the hash produces when you have a pure variety & not the hybrid or the mix..

They grow from seed & if you look @ the Greenhouse videos they grow the native landrace & a cross it to Paki genetics.

The result is F1 hashish..

Every 3 years they buy in seeds.

This is on the proper big boy farms growing it far & wide..

Those guys growing modern weed cannot shake as much in a day..

Latest posts

Latest posts