What's new

Linux / unix and security

S

Sat X RB

I 'm using Linux because I was told there are so few users no one bothers to develop virus' etc to attack it.

angelgoob

I'm using an even more obscure system called OpenIndiana. It's Unix-based.

Had to commandline in wireless drivers. LOL

budsnblunts

Veteran
I use and have used linux and ubuntu systems in the past for many "security" issues. Most for hobby though. Nothing like a little intel gathering, or just having the ability to do it at least. Kali is where it's at, at the moment. Everything a novist (don't even think this is a word) to professional could need.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use and have used linux and ubuntu systems in the past for many "security" issues. Most for hobby though. Nothing like a little intel gathering, or just having the ability to do it at least. Kali is where it's at, at the moment. Everything a novist (don't even think this is a word) to professional could need.

I'm a little rusty. Kali is used by some pen testers.
For ids ossec is useful. Possible ips solution using ossec with snort.

I have 15+ years exp with Linux and slightly lesser with unixes like freebsd.

budsnblunts

Veteran
I'm a little rusty. Kali is used by some pen testers.
For ids ossec is useful. Possible ips solution using ossec with snort.

I have 15+ years exp with Linux and slightly lesser with unixes like freebsd.

It has hundreds of tools for so many things, it is crazy. How ever I am using an older version of it due to the fact that the NSA started writing programs for linux distribution. I do believe the newer versions of kali may have these programs pre installed.

WelderDan

Veteran
I used Ubuntu for years. I never once got a virus or malware of any kind. I did click a malicious link once that literally shut down the whole computer, but after a reboot it was fine. I finally ditched it after it became just as bloated as Windows, and they stopped supporting K9Copy, which I used to clone DVD's. Mostly because of the K9Copy thing. Linux is very secure and due to the low number of users compared to Windows or even Apple there is very few virus writers

Most versions of Linux are completely GUI based now and you don't need to know command line stuff like the old days.

budsnblunts

Veteran
Most versions of Linux are completely GUI based now and you don't need to know command line stuff like the old days.
Knowing the lines of command is pretty awesome though, allowing the option to force most programs into doing what you want. But it is so much more user friendly, some of those commands were right head fucks and a half.

St. Phatty

Just pondering who might work or hobby with *nix and/or computer security.

Pong.

I would love to.

Real Tired of MS OS'.

BUT - I have about 5 TB of ap data on NTFS formatted disks. A serious hairball of 3D models, videos, textures, photographs, HTML collections (e.g. news about police brutality, I collect articles like that) ... etc.

All I want to be able to do is find my way around my own Sh.t.

When I try to transfer to my Linux system (Ubuntu on a 6 core), I get a lot of "filename length" problems.

I've been looking for file-name renamers. Most of the violators are HTML files that I saved, no problem hacking off the last 128 characters.

Anyway, I need a good Windows filename renamer that allows me to do block re-names, not one at a time.

In the meantime, I'm using Windows 7 Pro, which sucks, compared to XP, but, such is life & Windows degeneration.

Last edited:

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would love to.

Real Tired of MS OS'.

BUT - I have about 5 TB of ap data on NTFS formatted disks. A serious hairball of 3D models, videos, textures, photographs, HTML collections (e.g. news about police brutality, I collect articles like that) ... etc.

All I want to be able to do is find my way around my own Sh.t.

When I try to transfer to my Linux system (Ubuntu on a 6 core), I get a lot of "filename length" problems.

I've been looking for file-name renamers. Most of the violators are HTML files that I saved, no problem hacking off the last 128 characters.

Anyway, I need a good Windows filename renamer that allows me to do block re-names, not one at a time.

In the meantime, I'm using Windows 7 Pro, which sucks, compared to XP, but, such is life & Windows degeneration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Try using shorter directory path