What's new

first grow & using bag seed

Im finally started up, since this is my first grow I am a bit cautious and started wit bag seed. I do have good genetic feminized seeds from single seed centre tho. I have a 4x4x7 grow tent, a 1,000 watt mh/hps light with ducting and carbon filter with a 440 cfm inline fan. I will start in Dixie cups with promix bx, will transplant to a well blended soil. I also will use nutrients from fox farm and advanced nutrients. Im starting off with jus 2 plants. So as I journey down my learning experience I hope u guys enjoy the show. I have jus started germinating 2 seeds and will post pics as soon as I can

G

Hey Dreams, sounds like you got things started well. Much better equipment than I started with. I wouldn't stay in those dixie cups very long. One thing that I did and found to helpful, was to make lots of seeds at some point and use them to fine tune your germination and seedling techniques. This seems to be a major fail point with new and even experienced growers, I know it has been for me. Seeds you make yourself are more reliable that bagseeds, and lets you try things and then just pitch what you can't use, no money lost.

Keif

Thanks.. I have alot of feminized strains but I thought I will start with bag seed till I get the hang. I qm going to start making my own seeds, I wanted to wait till I harvest because of money issues I wanted to set up another tent for mothers and clones plus a seperate flower tent as well..

Saltlife

I say if ypu got alot of fem seeds
start one or two just incase all goes well
But im just throwing that out there
if u can spare a few i guess that is

G

I say if ypu got alot of fem seeds
start one or two just incase all goes well
But im just throwing that out there
if u can spare a few i guess that is

Yeah, I would agree with that if you have plenty of the femmed money seeds. If you get thinks working with germ/seedling phase, I wouldn't waste an entire grow cycle on a couple of bagseeds. Can't stress enough how touchy it can be to get past the first couple of weeks. I also use promix and have had good luck with seedlings. Go easy with water on the babies and if your soil mix is good, don't use any nutes until your plant look in need. Maybe even wait until 12/12.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i've popped a lotta seeds. here's the big secret. the only difference is you know the name of the strain when you buy the seeds. the end.

same possibility of duds, same possibility of a shit cross, same possibility of hermies.

mr. gt

Hey there. Glad you took the plunge. Sounds like you got most of your 'gear' already. Like previously posted, don't be scared to grow 1 of your female seeds!

~mr. gt

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good to experiment with just a few, learn from mistakes and successes. GROW ON!

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
with that much tent i would pop 4 of those fem seeds asap. what if both bag seeds are boys?

4-5 months is a long time to invest in a grow. the more variety you have the happier you will be come trim and smoke time.
and you can trust me, because I never lie…and I'm always right.

Bagseed. I grow them. OGKB cookies. gets me high like I wanna be.

picture.php

I'm high as a rapper right now.
don't hoard those seeds homie, pop that.

picture.php

^ more cookie bagseed. OG dominant. taste of this one is thick and fuely.

good luck with your grow. soak them seeds. make friends. the glue will follow.

rastas

Good to experiment with just a few, learn from mistakes and successes. GROW ON!

Agreed, its better to get familiar with a strain or just couple of them at first to get some quality bud out. You dont want to make things too difficult first.

I understand that you want to get money back from the investment you initially made, but shit can happen especially if there is inexperience, no one wants that!

Dream big, but make sure not to fall from the first ladder. Good luck!

Peace and understanding.

Thanks guys for all that help, Im considering on using a few fems. If u guys have few tips on crossing strains and breeding that would a big help also

rastas

I have only done little experiments with crossing, yet. But I have a good technique for pollinating and cross-pollinating. But to use this method, it is necessary to have another crop underway:

First of all, I want feminized seeds so I dont have males in my garden that I pull out after pollinating the women. I stress my girls to start producing induced male flowers, this is usually achieved with growing the female plants 10-14 days longer from the time they properly matured. Also, I dont want my whole harvest to be sensimilia with seeds.

So, after making sure that there is induced male flowers in the females Im growing, the plants are taken down and hanged up to dry. After drying, they are taken and inspected for male flowers. Each and every such flower is collected and placed in a bag and labeled. Be sure to have a bag for each strain. These sealed bags can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

When the new crop is 2 weeks into flowering, take your sealed bags of pollen out of the refrigerator, proceed to pollinate the females from the new crop. Most of the times I match the female plant with the pollen from the same female in the previous crop, this is when a grower can cross-pollinate. Turn off all of the fans in the growing space. With a fine watercolor brush, I dip and remove some pollen from the bag and paint it on the female flower. I only pollinate the lower buds, leaving the top colas sensimilia(seedless) for smoking.

Like I said, this technique requires two crops to produce seeds which takes more time and little more effort, but it also lets you have quality smoke at the same time and feminized seeds.

Peace and understanding.

Thanks rasta thats exactly what I wanted to know.. I appreciate everyone ones help and will most definitely put everyone's advice to use. Will post pics as soon as they are ready

Latest posts

Latest posts