What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Picked up a new Gun Safe, What do you think?

Hovz

Here it is, the Winchester model. Keypad entry, holds 24 long barrel guns. Weighs about 485 lbs empty. Defiantly feel safer with this thing to store my valuables in. I bolted her to the ground.
picture.php

picture.php

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It will definitely slow someone down thats for damn sure. Key control is really important though so hide them very well where nobody could possibly find them for example inside a wall is best hanging down on fishing line from some access point that is not easy to get to. If you twist that silver metallic/plastic keypad disc off there is a keyhole right behind it as I am sure you already know and that can easily be picked in short order. You can block that off though or fill it in (you wont be able to use a key to get in if you do) but just make sure you put a really good battery in there should be a little square 9 volt so if it did not already come with one go get the best lithium one you can find with the longest life and make sure you change it every year if you are using the safe alot. Nothing worse than a safe full of goodies with a dead battery you can't get in. Go spend the $10 on the good battery. :tiphat:

These mid-level safes are good for blocking thiefs from access to your goodies during random smash and grab type home thefts but if someone knows what they are doing they can get in that fairly easily through the keyhole underneath that keypad by picking with some basic locksmith tools. I could pick that safe lock in about 5 to 10 minutes though honestly through an unobstructed keyhole. Other than that, your safe looks like a good place to stack some jars full of herb. Take my input here as being precautionary and meant to help you get the most protection possible from it but you will definitely feel much better leaving the house with your belongings in there no matter what and they will be at least twice as safe no pun intended. Much love, congrats. :canabis:

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
It will definitely slow someone down thats for damn sure. Key control is really important though so hide them very well where nobody could possibly find them for example inside a wall is best hanging down on fishing line from some access point that is not easy to get to. If you twist that silver metallic/plastic keypad disc off there is a keyhole right behind it as I am sure you already know and that can easily be picked in short order. You can block that off though or fill it in (you wont be able to use a key to get in if you do) but just make sure you put a really good battery in there should be a little square 9 volt so if it did not already come with one go get the best lithium one you can find with the longest life and make sure you change it every year if you are using the safe alot. Nothing worse than a safe full of goodies with a dead battery you can't get in. Go spend the $10 on the good battery. :tiphat:

These mid-level safes are good for blocking thiefs from access to your goodies during random smash and grab type home thefts but if someone knows what they are doing they can get in that fairly easily through the keyhole underneath that keypad by picking with some basic locksmith tools. I could pick that safe lock in about 5 to 10 minutes though honestly through an unobstructed keyhole. Other than that, your safe looks like a good place to stack some jars full of herb. Take my input here as being precautionary and meant to help you get the most protection possible from it but you will definitely feel much better leaving the house with your belongings in there no matter what and they will be at least twice as safe no pun intended. Much love, congrats. :canabis:

^that. well said.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok guys if we want to talk about the safe and how it can help make life more secure ... cool ... but ICmag has a policy of not supporting gun talk. So lets talk about the safe and leave the guns for another time. We go to gun talk and this thread will be closed. Thanks :)

Hovz

Yeah the main reason i chose a gun safe is simply because the other safes weren't big enough for what i wanted. I found this one at Costco.

qbert

500 bones

I found this one at Costco.

Not too bad. Been thinking about something like this, I'll have to look closer next time I'm at Costco.

These mid-level safes are good for blocking thiefs from access to your goodies during random smash and grab type home thefts but if someone knows what they are doing they can get in that fairly easily through the keyhole underneath that keypad by picking with some basic locksmith tools.

Got any particular recommendations for more secure safes?

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't need to bring up Sweet Tooth when I have supermanlives recruited to chime in for me so I don't have to say it so often that really saves me some typing lately :bigeye:

:thank you:

The best safes are rated for fire & flood protection (I believe that Winchester gun safe is) you can buy ones with longer or shorter time ratings of exposure to fire and you want the longest possible you can afford. Best are the types that do NOT have the back-up access by key because that normally is alays the weak point and leaves two possible problems which are someone picking it or getting access to your key. I would find a safe that can be opened via combination only either by dial or digital keypad and then that removes two major weakpoints but also remember the bigger and heavier it is and harder it is to move makes a big difference too unless you want to purchase a very small one that can be hidden in the floor under a piece of furniture or rug those can work great for stashing money & jewelry but you won't have much room for jars of nugs or be able to put anything else in one. You want a safe that takes 3 or 4 people to move, located as far from any doors as possible that it could be moved through and of course secured to the house with the biggest bolts you can fit as deep as possible in the house foundation. Don't let anyone that is not like family to you know you have it either & don't show off your safe to people or it just becomes a target in their mind because they know you must be keeping something "safe" inside. :joint:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could damage a GPS unit by throwing it, I would advise against the throwing part. :tiphat:

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Safes are cool... They keep honest people honest.

But now days a safe is only a very little better than an alarm system that screams to the neighborhood and in most cases not as good. Crooks see or hear that you have a safe and their mind takes notes and they mentally start planning to rob it. When they show up to rob it, they'll bring the recip, cordless drills, jacks, dolly's, torch, and anything else they need. And nowadays all the tools they use are cordless and compact. Damn ATM's aren't even safe and they're in plain sight in public places.

I use to design and implement security systems and what SOTF420 said is 100% correct about showing it off and bragging on it. Cause that just shows a crook a great big shiny new present to open, and he knows that it has at least $500 worth of goodies inside because nobody spends $500 on a safe unless they have something of value to store.

Treat it like your grow op. Top secret...

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Am I the only person who has thought about making a nearly impossible to jack grow cab out of a big badass safe complete with ventilation, led lighting, the whole 420 yards. Just an idea though I bet someone on here has one already :canabis:

That would be kind of fun unless you forgot the combination :bigeye:

Could be totally stealth too with mini-carbon scrubber and all, "just a safe nothing to see in there it's where I keep my family photo albums" :joint:

I believe (please someone correct me if I am wrong) a safe needs to be specified on a warrant in order to gain entry into one. I'm guessing if they came in your house and nothing was visible and with no probable cause anywhere whatosever they would likely overlook it or not even be able to fuck with it. :good:

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
dude i got a 2500lb safe that has 10" bolts that secure it into foundation and i still wasnt satisfied. so we built a false wall with a hidden door to keep it out of sight just in case....out of sight-out of mind.:dance013: