What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What ACTUALLY happens to busted growers in Mass.?

I live in Massachusetts but have been thinking about the move to Rhode Island (still looking into their laws). I'd really rather set up in Massachusetts though, since friends, family and the patients I know are here. What ACTUALLY happens if you get busted growing less than 20 plants with a couple of 1000w or 600w bulbs? I have no record, so I can likely dodge jail right:shucks:? I am just trying to grow for a few patients with MS.

supermanlives

Veteran
as an ex masshole, the peeps i heard about growing small amounts got fines and probation and drug classes. mass likes to get you in the system. if they catch you dealing or you got a record then all bets off

G

Guest3498

I've heard stories of cops in mass weighing entire plants with the roots balls.

Move the maine, 99 plants or less is a misdemeanor.

Ok cool but does anyone have any firsthand experience or a friend who got busted? I'd like a little more to go on than "some peeps I heard about got probation". No offense, just want to make sure I fully understand the risks before I jump into it.

G

Guest3498

What I'm telling you is the laws can be sort of grey in mass. Less than 50 lbs cultivation is a misdemeanor but it's up to the particular cops who bust you how to calculate how much you are cultivating. They usually won't dry and manicure your bud for you before they weight it, or so I hear.

Like I said, some sheriffs have been knows to weight plants whole, with the roots balls and all. Naturally if that's the case being charged for over 50# wouldn't be to hard... I'm not saying that if caught with a couple lights they'd necessarily throw the book at you, just pointing out the grey areas.

Frankly man if you are cultivating for patients it'd probably be a good idea to move to an actual medical marijuana state... maine or rhody....

Fair enough but it would be very difficult to move. Pretty lonely to leave all my friends and family behind, leave my patients behind and have to find new ones, new job to cover me until first harvest, all the paperwork and then my damn NAME is on government paper I mean fuck that, probably more expensive place than the deal I have now and I'd have to break my lease and pay for that. I understand what you are saying, but I may not be able to afford moving to a new state its an incredible process compared to setting up a tent with the clones I already (may) have. I do have friends in Maine but that is even fucking colder than Mass. in the winter, a living hell really.

ddrew

Veteran
I have the same reservations about starting over in a Med state.
But you know you were not born connected, you built the network you have in your home state yourself, and you can do it again in another state, it just takes time.

Save enough money to support yourself for one full year with no new money coming in, and make the leap, I'm sure in as little as 6 months or so you will be set up and doing fine in the new state.

2cents

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4543

Cultivation, possession with intent to sell, delivery or sale of less than 50 pounds of marijuana is punishable by up to two years in jail and a fine of up to $5,000. For 50 pounds or more, the penalty increases to a mandatory minimum of one year in prison and a possible range of 2.5 - 15 years in prison and a fine of $500 - $10,000. For cultivation or sale of 100 pounds or more the mandatory minimum sentence is three years and up to 15 years in prison, along with a fine of $2,500 - $25,000. For 2,000 pounds or more, the penalties increase to a mandatory minimum 5-year sentence up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $5,000 - $50,000. For any amount of 10,000 pounds or more, the mandatory minimum sentence is 10 years with up to 15 years in prison possible and a fine of $20,000 - $200,000.

Sale of marijuana within 1,000 feet of a school or 100 fee of a park adds another 2-year mandatory minimum sentence for sale and can go as high as an additional 15 years in prison and a fine of $1,000 - $10,000.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
Fair enough but it would be very difficult to move. Pretty lonely to leave all my friends and family behind, leave my patients behind and have to find new ones, new job to cover me until first harvest, all the paperwork and then my damn NAME is on government paper I mean fuck that, probably more expensive place than the deal I have now and I'd have to break my lease and pay for that. I understand what you are saying, but I may not be able to afford moving to a new state its an incredible process compared to setting up a tent with the clones I already (may) have. I do have friends in Maine but that is even fucking colder than Mass. in the winter, a living hell really.

i personally moved 1800 miles away to a med state where i didn't know a soul. took my wife and daughter with me. it was hard starting over, and it's been almost 2 years now. it took a good year before i really started feeling like the pieces were falling into place. it was costly, but in 2 years i'm light years ahead of where i was before i moved out here.

i know alot of people out here that this is their same story. tons of transplants in colorado.

i do get homesick too...:comfort:

KONY

Veteran
norml is not accurate on ma laws, when decrim passed a few years ago they just pushed down the penatlies in the table.... any amount of growing in ma is most definetly a felony. Granted for under 50 lbs its a max 2 years sentence like has been posted above.

Within 1000ft of a school is MMS of 2 years.....IF you are prosecuted or charged with that offense, from what i have read its mostly minorities....

supermanlives

Veteran
i replied . i aint giving names ,dates or amounts, read my post. i have found mass to be rather leanient. they want you on probation and in their drug classes not in jail. the reason i say heard is i dont associate with peeps that get busted. anyone with a good record , good lawyer and that i have known of that got caught small time growing didnt get any time. but really just man up and do your thing . employ all the security measures you can . mainly keep mouth shut. mass has great market and not much competition on the whole

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
There are some good lawyers in Mass, just do your thing and keep it on the low. If you get busted, know who to call and have some coin waiting for him.

rogerw

i personally moved 1800 miles away to a med state where i didn't know a soul. took my wife and daughter with me. it was hard starting over, and it's been almost 2 years now. it took a good year before i really started feeling like the pieces were falling into place. it was costly, but in 2 years i'm light years ahead of where i was before i moved out here.

i know alot of people out here that this is their same story. tons of transplants in colorado.

i do get homesick too...:comfort:

I agree with you I am moving next month to Colorado. Fuck this red neck dog crap state I live in now! Shit I can drive here popping oxys and get off scott free with my script but 2 oz is at least 1yr in jail and a few probation. I just bought a nice house and 80 acres of land. Going to rent out the house I own here for the price of my payments.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
as an ex masshole, the peeps i heard about growing small amounts got fines and probation and drug classes. mass likes to get you in the system. if they catch you dealing or you got a record then all bets off

same, and same.

Move the maine, 99 plants or less is a misdemeanor.

^that. if you are truly worried about getting in trouble, Maine is your best option.

Ok cool but does anyone have any firsthand experience or a friend who got busted? I'd like a little more to go on than "some peeps I heard about got probation". No offense, just want to make sure I fully understand the risks before I jump into it.

Getting firsthand experience from someone in Mass who was busted growing is pointless, and doesn't give you shit to go on. 10 different people that commit crimes can get 10 different sentences depending on the specific situation, the judge, the DA, the town etc. Asking for a few examples is pointless and a waste of time.

*violin playing*. Either stay where ur at and get over the risk, or move somewhere safer and start a new life. can't have it both ways.