What's new

Using vegetables for potting

smellabella

So I was thinking about using pumpkins or other gourds instead of plastic pots...anyone ever tried this? Or have reasons for why it's a bad idea?

EastCoast710

i wonder what u coul ddo if u dug a hole. tossed a old pumpkin in.. filled with tiny bit dirty added a plant. i wonder if that decomposing underneath would do anything worthwhile?>

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If it helps in any way, best bet would be to have it grinded in small pieces and place it a bit lower than the roots of the plant. Ofc, better would be to compost it before.. but then we get too far of the ideea of using a pumpkin, we are just using compost.

corky1968

Veteran
Some animal will probably dig it up.

I say don't bother. Just did a hole and plant like everybody else.

smellabella

Thought the different sized gourds could be used as compost per transplant until final stage of pumpkin into the earth , I live in the desert n don't worry about certain pest n was thinking more on time release basis for decomposer. Thought this method was from a boom about sitar making but can't find the book to back it up

smellabella

So many og's now a days and it's hard to tell if they mean crossed with og kush or ocean grown but how u gonna have ocean grown strain in Colorado. Maybe one day we have PG kush? Well ima try it n keep yall updated