What's new

Mainlining: When to stop defoliation after topping 3rd time

hi! I just looked at the last time I was here, 2008! been some water under the pots since then ...

OK, to the point. Indoor soil grow, Critical Mass feminized, mainlined for 4 and 8 leaders. My question is when would be a good time to stop cutting the growth back after topping the 3 time? I haven't read anywhere about this and Nugbuckets, the guy who popularized the technique, doesn't ever mention it, just leaves you to guess.
In my case after topping the third time I still kept on cutting back the growth below the new cola until maybe the 3rd or 4th node was reached, now vigorous growth, occasional pinching where necessary, and almost ready to flip at 16 inches.

I'm not sure whether the lower growth I am now leaving is worth it as stretch should take them to above 34 inches (81 cm). On the other hand I might go for more defoliation as I have tried that on trees and it does increase yield getting deeper penetration below the 40 cm limit.

Thanx.

im a mainliner, just joined this great site, are you still active here? i love to share some pics/ thoughts with you on the technique.

thank you

DAT

Attachments

• SLH labor day shitz 008.jpg
    SLH labor day shitz 008.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 17

DAT

thanks for the link @DJXX . I read that Nugbuckets tutorial many times and still I am confused.

M

Madlabscientist

just read that link about mainling dam i got too try this great results nugbuckets thanks for sharing

B

Baron Greenback

It's definitely worth doing, seems to work well. I like a good long veg as I think it's important to only flower sexually mature plants so this gives me control.
I also love a defoliate, just don't go crazy is the thing. Growweedeasy has a nice defoliation section too, good info available there.

M

Madlabscientist

could i still mainline this hso green crack seedling its 8ins tall
picture.php

B

Baron Greenback

Nugbuckets reckons any time, I usually go with 5 nodes down to the third - they're pretty resilient, you won't kill her but you may retard growth a little.
Worth a try :)

Seems I didn t get back here in a while. Have some serious updates but I think I m going to start a new thread in - new varieties and test grows - or something like that as curiously enough mainlining or manifolding led me to accidently create a new hybrid which as it turns out is perfect for manifolding, defol, fimming and similar techniques designed to increase production as it takes all the work off you and a whole lot of stress off the plants, plus reduces vegging time by maybe 2 or more weeks! it could be a godsend for some people but ...

...the problem is I need to stabilize this new hybrid. So far I have cross bred two different phenotypes showing the same features and they are at seedling stage. At the same time I am finishing another couple of specimes which are also being crossed,as well as some S1.
ok so if anyone wants to check it out im going to open that thread right now and first off will upload some photos. the thread is going to cover mainly the tests to see if this lady can be stabilized.