What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finally going to get into edibles - What doses do you guys take?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Other than some homemade tinctures, and the occasional gummy bear to augment a vape high, I've never really gotten into edibles. Now that I'm about to fly back home to Florida for a week, I'm going to buy some from a dispensary to bring with me, so I don't have to smoke at my parents house.

Knowing that the average dose (at least from what I can gather on Leafly and Weedmaps) being sold in the rec shops is 10mg THC (or 5mg in the 1:1 options, which I'm also considering), I'm trying to do my comparative shopping right now in order to get the best bang for my buck. My question is this:

For those of you with a reasonably high tolerance (for instance, concentrate users who find that they have to smoke like 2 whole bowls of flower to match what they get from a usual 2-puff vape pen session), what do you find is an effective dose of edibles?

:tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
10mg is the bomb! If it isn't strong enough, you simply take another :) Ingestion although not a "sociable thing" is more potent. 10mg of AC/DC and I am on a 4-6 hrs journey. I also have 15mg a little stronger. I use those when I don't feel like doing anything :) 10mg and I am fully functional. Your mileage may vary. :tiphat:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
your mileage 'def' will vary - my buddy ate 50mg around noon time, and within 60/75 mins was blizzed… around 3pm I ate 12.5, we went out for a late lunch, and within an hr while sitting at the rest. I was fuk;d… so fuk;d I said we will take a cab home, I didn't want to drive - my buddy said … no problem... i'll drive... and he did... and got us home in one piece... not the 1st time I have overdone it... and its not a pleasant feeling... I do edibles on occasion, but much prefer smokin...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Anybody who uses edibles or are offered edibles (offered = unknown potency) that may have overdone it, should come down with a 20-25ml dose of sublingual straight CBD. It will bring you down nicely. Either that or put up with the ride. Sometimes the ride may be more than you have bargained for. If that is the case, CBD will bring you down without crashing. The other alternative is to go for a nap.

T

Teddybrae

1 gramme of Mango Haze (high cbd) dried powdered heads mixed into biscuit dry ingredients (28 grammes/28 biscuits) and eaten 1/4 gramme per six hours is nicely cosy for me ... no oil ... just out of the garden ...

mayorofthdesert

i think everyone absorbs differently, a while back i took a tolerance break for a couple weeks & still needed 100mg to feel it, normally i eat 200-400mg, 200 to feel it, 400 to blast off.

ozzieAI

Veteran
i have been making canna caps for a while and they come in around 30mg/thc each. i take 2/day about 6 hours apart and this keeps me 'happy' for 12+hours...

what i have found is that there is a wide range of effects and tolerances for different people...

i use a different of terpenes in my mixes so i don't build up my tolerance, just eating one sort of edible builds my tolerance up fast...so i would recommend some variety...

theJointedOne

Veteran
I smoke/ dab all day long, yet I usually never use more than 25-50mg per dose max with edibles, anything more usually makes me feel a bit overwhelmed

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well, in case anyone cares, I have an update. I bought a gram syringe of a "high-CBD" distillate (which is really only about 3:2 ratio) and made it into an ethanol tincture @ 20 mg/mL. I started off testing it by taking 1 mL in my coffee one morning, right after waking up. I felt nothing.

The next morning I took 2 mL, and felt something, but it was kinda in the background. This morning I took 3 mL, and I'm feeling it now. It's pretty good, pretty relaxing, but I'm still able to work and interact with people. The overall potency of this distillate is 87%, and that is composed of 30% THC and 51% CBD. This is an acceptable dose for me, and now I can do the math to figure out how cost effective this will be.

I also bought THC tablets, called Relax, and they are 10mg each. I immediately took 1 after leaving the dispensary, having had no medicine beforehand that day, and I ended up feeling nothing. That night, about 8 hours later, and also about 2 hours after doing a dab, I took two tablets (20mg) and ended up barely feeling anything. So I guess I'll try 3 tablets next, but that already means that this is not a cost effective option for me.

The last remaining thing I bought was a gram syringe of non-CBD distillate. I haven't experimented with that one yet.

DrDee

Hey Hush,
Sounds like you're making progress. I've been doing edibles for years but only recently through dispensary stuff. One thing I'm finding on the caps is that I seem to build up a super fast tolerance to them. I usually start out with 20mg and take probably 50mg during the day. Anything more and it would be a waste because I just wouldn't feel it.

So have a variety to minimize that effect...is my advice.
JD