What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do with a ton of fresh frozen?

LadyGuru

Hello everybody. Need a little help here. One of our light dep harvests got thrown strait into vac seal bags and frozen due to our harvest rooms being stuffed. We don't have any equipment. What is the best thing to do with lets say 100 lbs of fresh frozen, wet weight?

Our farm in the past has stayed away from concentrates due to the nature of the law. However our concentrate makers are all legal now, and this is a 215 grow.

Any help would be great, thanks everybody. :tiphat:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you have to specify what end product you can sell or want. the processing on that level will depend on what you want from it. best medical concentrate? best tasting concentrate? rosin? or hash, or concentrate for ecigs and edibles?

LadyGuru

Well, the answer to that would be the best quality product, that costs the least amount of money in equipment to make. Open to any ideas though....... I do have a rosin smasher at the farm, but with fresh frozen? Nitro blast first with fresh frozen?

Up for any ideas really. Not afraid to spend money if that is what's needed.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Fresh Frozen bubble hash then smashed to rosin.

yes, basically thats a good bet. and the bubble hash can be stored easy and used to make oil too. rosin doesn't keep that well so best squishing batches as you can pass it on. so it's as fresh as possible (terpy)

Klompen

Well you're always welcome to road trip it on over here ;)

Seriously though, concentrates probably are your best option at this point. Although there's also the option of at least partially bricking it. Bricking doesn't necessarily ruin weed if you do it very slow, careful, and keep it cool. The biggest reason bud gets ruined by bricking is all the heat generated. Most bricks are made in the tropics though using trash compactors with no cooling.

best quality if quality means thc concentration would be distillate. best end product depends on your market (what you can sell what it goes for etc). the best way to get a good product with lowest overhead would be a ethanol wash and just evaporate it off.

If it were me I'd spend 4k or so on a 1lb closed loop extractor and vac oven and in about 25 runs you will have somewhere around 50-100 oz of live resin or shatter.

LadyGuru

Turning that much herb into bubble hash seems like a serious undertaking. I have the 5 gallon bag set. That would take a month....... Still an option however.

LadyGuru

best quality if quality means thc concentration would be distillate. best end product depends on your market (what you can sell what it goes for etc). the best way to get a good product with lowest overhead would be a ethanol wash and just evaporate it off.

If it were me I'd spend 4k or so on a 1lb closed loop extractor and vac oven and in about 25 runs you will have somewhere around 50-100 oz of live resin or shatter.

This here seems like a very viable option. Would you mind explaining the ethanol wash a tad for me? That seems like something I could do today, with not much effort or money put in.

Also, do you mind showing me a link to a 4k closed loop extractor and vac oven set? Seems like something I should have done years ago, but always afraid of the laws.:tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Turning that much herb into bubble hash seems like a serious undertaking. I have the 5 gallon bag set. That would take a month....... Still an option however.

You'll spend far less money making bubble & pressing it to rosin than washing it with anything for oil.

You can get 30 gallon bags and use a trash can to make the bubble hash and then you'll only spend a couple hundred bucks to build a press or if you don't want to build it will cost around a grand or more to purchase a ready to run unit.

This method requires zero solvent and rosin goes for about twice what shatter/BHO/EHO/QWISO does... (at least in my neck of the woods)

MrBungle

Any direction you choose to take with 100 lbs of fresh frozen is going to be a lot of work... you might have to invest in a portable washing machine or something to help out with making that much bubble hash

Klompen

I totally forgot about it, but you could use a tumbler. I saw one years ago where it was actually an old lottery ball tumbler where there was a filter screen put around the main body, and the hand-crank handle was replaced by a belt drive wheel. Then the whole thing was hooked by belt to a slow motor. The person in question filled the tumbler with herb and a bunch of glass marbles(which can be washed with ISO after). The whole thing was mounted over top of a Ideally, you could build two of these, one rough(180-200 micron) and one fine(120-150 micron) or at least use a finer hand screen to do the second run(since there'll be so much less material).

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would Grow more, 100LB of wet weight is fuck all. You'll maybe not even break even on that. Best bet is to pluck em in the field & process the pickings. Then hang the plants & make hashish then press it for the best P£££

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brand new full size washing machine with the simplest possible controls and a set of 30g bags.

Solvent will yield more but requires more time/experience. Depending on the cut or processing fees it might be worth farming out.

LadyGuru

I would Grow more, 100LB of wet weight is fuck all. You'll maybe not even break even on that. Best bet is to pluck em in the field & process the pickings. Then hang the plants & make hashish then press it for the best P£££

Yea, 100 lbs isn't great. Even if I break even on my investment there is more to come. Round three of my deps still to come.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Fresh Frozen bubble hash then smashed to rosin.

G `day MJP

Good call .
The details ; washing machines , mesh or bags rigged on frames for large amounts of water and resin ,materials for squeezing water out of bubble , drying facility , with racks and climate control . Maybe a vac sealer too ?
A press , a bunch of papers to squeeze it into . Containers to package for transport .

Making your own ice has gotta be a saving ?

Maybe a look at a Frenchie Cannoli Hash making vid or two to get the tech down 1st .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i thought we were talking about 1 ton, not 100lbs wet.

the efficiency of a closed loop extraction system is very high, but it's not something you can do without practice. there are lots of details that have to be gotten right. so you'd need to look at the first 3 runs as practice, ideally you take a course first.

a simple ethanol wash and evaporation is easy.

turning it to bubble hash is more work for sure, but rosin is more expensive then ethanol washed. get a huge trash can and some bags to fit, and you can do quite large amounts at once.

as for the idea of tumbling it, i think that will not be efficient unless you have a walk in freezer to do it in. as soon as the frozen buds start defrosting they will gunk up the screen in the tumbler. maybe mixing in some dry ice would keep it cold enough though.

Latest posts

Latest posts