What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Proper way to decontaminate room after russet mite invasion without breaking the ban?

Big time exterminator can irritate skin or eyes but its safe enough that the dude who made it drank a bottle in front of people to prove its safe. Not sure anybody would even fake drinking a bottle of avid or forbid so im confident its ok to use. Will stop at 6wks into flower though just in case their about to hit 4wks in 2 days.

These were F1 hybrids of a male SSH and a female NL and one leaned heavily indica while the other is clearly sativa dominant a perfect mirror of their parents. The indica girl didnt stretch much and is getting coated with trichs and resin much faster. She has fatter darker green leaves too not too dark though. The sativa lady got 3x as big even though they were close in size during veg and looks like shes still getting bigger.

I figure ill push the indica to 8-9wks and go 12wks maybe more on the sativa to try to get something worthwhile. Ordering predatory mites later today to help but would have to stop the bte sprays in late flower its supposed to be ok but it has a light odor so dont want it hanging around.

Last edited:
Just a random thought i wonder if i could get a few cheap humidifiers going with pure bleach in them and gas the holy hell out of the room with chlorine gas. Their would be no plant or animal life in the room during this.

Probably wouldnt work just a crazy thought born from extreme fustration

Speed of green

Couldnt get it to work but found the site was it a report about forbid?

Here you go its the first link, its a full report done by the state of CA, an evaluation of forbid's active ingredient.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...264k1j0i10k1j0i13k1j0i13i10k1.162.d8hL7qcEhyw

For my IPM i do a weekly foliar till the third week of flower, basically essential oils, neem, yucca extract, aloe, chitosan,fulvic acid,an emulsifier and a wetting agent.

for root zone protection i use sm-90 1ml/gal at every res change.

for mold i use Camelot O, its a copper soap that changes the surface PH of the leaf for several weeks, i apply at flip and week 5.

This coupled with yellow sticky cards over and under every plant helps monitor any pests.

I have 40 mesh screens over all openings into my grow area, and a ton of air movement.

even if you have leftover mites after you break down and clean the room, the IPM schedule will keep your plants clean throughout the next grow.

I noticed a weed in my greenhouse last week that was covered with two-spotted mites growing right next to one of my plants. i checked the plant thoroughly and could not find a single mite.

I believe that these critters are almost always present and are waiting for either a weakened or unprotected host to strike.

Pests and mold are a symptom of a weak garden, natures way of trimming the fat. Pests will rarely go after extremely healthy plants, if you read about high BRIX or plant sap ph - once the plants are healthy enough pests and mold will not even try to attack, they know the host is too strong.

Last edited:
Great info speed i'll pick up some stuff and try to mimmick your ipm strategy. While its true healthy plants are generally more immune i think these broadmites are pretty virulent no matter what. Plants were super healthy in veg and they handled the extreme heat treatments with only some lightly toasted pistils to show for it. Ive never had them before even when i had some sick plants years ago when i first started. I always scope the trichomes so wouldve seen them crawling around if so. So far I've never had mold, bud rot or pm so im pretty sure my stuffs usually clean and healthy yet these broads attacked mercilessly.

I think i either brushed up against a plant that had them or my dog brought some in from the yard. That or a small moth/fly brought em in, my promix soil could be another source too.

I'll get everything laboratory clean and keep it that way permanently and follow all the ideas for ipm that you and everybody have told me about.:tiphat:

As of now i can't find a single mite alive can't say whether they all died but i can't see em now. Big time exterminator worked its organic and breaks down after 2 days and becomes inert. If you want to try it i suggest doing it right after a heat treatment and cut the lights. Its supposed to kill PM and root aphids too among other things.

Bte after heat ftw

Ended up seeing them again and sprayed heavily with bte but im getting nervous about keeping anything from this run around. All it would take is for 1 of them to survive embedded in a flower to restart this nightmare. Not seeing any now but thats happened before so cant be sure. These things feed on resin and supposedly can live in curing jars as long as they have some to eat.

Think im just gonna vape my last plant up and party for awhile and be done with it. Tearing down the old panda film lined cabs and building new cabinets out of wood. The two new cabs will have 2.5'W x 3'L x 4.5'H grow chambers with boxes on top and bottom that hold the intake/exhaust fans. Gonna make the top and bottom sections where they bolt on so it can be taken apart and moved if need be. No real need but im gonna make it have a old school stealth op feel to it and add trim pieces to it and stain it. In the end the two chambers will bolt together and look like a slightly big wardrobe or armoire.

Another thing that gives me pause is that it appears that even though they are mostly gone and flowers are growing it looks like they shit all over them. Finding dark brown/black dots among the trichomes and am pretty sure they are not degraded glands. Maybe glands burned by the heat treatment but sure looks like little turd piles everywhere.....

I know this update is way late but haven't seen the mites again so far thankfully. Just left the room empty for roughly a year and with nothing to feed on it seems I starved them out.

Latest posts

Latest posts