What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st coco grow.. scrog or tree yield test?

Pumpkin

Veteran
Just doing a test to see if scrog or natural yields best.. it's a bet with the missus. Not all the same clones... so not the most scientific test. Nor am I very good at this screen thing.

Poor quality hps photos sorry.

Veg

attachment.php

Day one flower

attachment.php

Week 2 flower

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1012623.jpg
    P1012623.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 35
  • P1012655.jpg
    P1012655.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 35
  • P1012671.jpg
    P1012671.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P1012672.jpg
    P1012672.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 39

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I did the exact same thing on my first ever grow.. half scrog, half tree...trying new stuff is fun eh :)

so far your garden looks lush mate... long may it continue :biggrin:

Pumpkin

Veteran
So which side won in your garden JamieShoes?

My girl's money is on the trees... and to be honest I'm a little worried :|

scrog is a lot more work... it's going to have to smash the trees in yield for it to be worthwhile.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Haven't touched one leaf on the trees and won't through to harvest. I put some string for support.. but they will just grow through that naturally.

All the plants are revegetated clones from early flower. So that's why the growth pattern is so weird and branchy. It has helped give the trees a more even/unnatural canopy. :)

I'm going to prune the undergrowth of the scrog... it's very awkward to get under there. Started today.. and will take a couple more days to clear that out. The test is as much touched plants vs untouched plants.

Enjoying coco very much so far. All my previous grows have been in soil.

JamieShoes

Veteran
So which side won in your garden JamieShoes?

My girl's money is on the trees... and to be honest I'm a little worried :|

scrog is a lot more work... it's going to have to smash the trees in yield for it to be worthwhile.

what I found was the scrog did yield more but... in order to fill a screen in situ I have to run a tent on 18/6 for up to 6 weeks.. if I veg my trees in a separate area under CFL (big ones) then I find that I can ultimate achieve more weight from the same area of the same period.. because I then have a constant 12/12 area with no down time...

so it's a trade off... if I was stuck with one single area and a small number of plants I would scrog, but as I can veg elsewhere then it makes more sense to grow trees for me..

besides..there's something very satisfying about standing amongst my shoulder height ladies :) .. I can almost imagine I'm out in the fields lol :)

Here's the results... you'll see I did coco vs soil, coco scrog vs soil scrog.. haha, was fairly epic for a first go now I think about it :)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2377725&postcount=422

the work you mention, I clear out the bottom 3rd, I find that as they get to be in excess of 4.5 foot, the light penetration down the bottom is not enough to develop anything decent so I prefer to let a plant concentrate her energies on the main colas :)

Pumpkin

Veteran
Things got a bit messed up timing wise... went on holidays... hence reveged flowering clones and some veg time in the flower tent. Trees are definitely more satisfying and natural to be around. There is something nicer about letting nature be, rather that stressing it with heavy handed manipulation. But there is also something nice about more weed as well. :) I assume my ultimate compromise will be a hybrid of both techniques. Some gentle training and support, where the plants need it most to even the canopy and use light in an effective manner, without feeling like I'm torturing the poor girls.

Pumpkin

Veteran
"I clear out the bottom 3rd, I find that as they get to be in excess of 4.5 foot, the light penetration down the bottom is not enough to develop anything decent so I prefer to let a plant concentrate her energies on the main colas"

My girl is trimming the trees and me the scrog. So she has to deal with the horrible bottom buds at harvest time and not me :) It's her side and she won't let me prune it (at all)... she wasn't even that happy about the string. I don't mind letting her suffer with the scissors for our little experiment :)

I'm totally with you in theory though.. and I even prune the insides/bottoms off my outdoor plants.

JamieShoes

Veteran
oh she's gonna love that.. 2 hours to do all the mains and then 4 more to do the fluff ;)

Pumpkin

Veteran
I had some spare plants in rock that I had nowhere to put... and I also had a trampoline that I had nowhere to put. So outside it all went in the middle of winter to see what would happen. We actually have some sun today! The ph and ppms have been a bit wild and not monitored very closely... some really over yellow leaves... but hopefully it sorts itself out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1012674.jpg
    P1012674.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 22

Pumpkin

Veteran
Week 3

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1012681.jpg
    P1012681.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
  • P1012679.jpg
    P1012679.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 33
  • P1012677.jpg
    P1012677.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 34

Pumpkin

Veteran
The strains are mostly cheapo seeds. I grew out 40 beans and cloned the best. I've grown them out a few times and know what to expect. Both White Cindy and Widow Maker were promotional freebies from seedsman and have proven to be excellent strains and ended up as keepers. I think the White Widow was from female seeds and it's my last grow with this one. The smoke is some people's favorite, but it's very annoying to trim and not a big producer.

On the tree side I have 2x C99xWhite Widow (White Cindy) (big yield) and 2x White Widow (low yield)

On the scrog I have 4x Widow Maker AKxWhite widow (medium yield). This is an excellent strain and blew much more expensive seeds out onto the compost pile :) If any new genetics want a place in my garden they have to prove them against this cut.

With the same grow style I would expect a very similar yield off both sides.

For a more scientific test the same clones would have been a better idea :) But wanted to hold onto some genetic diversity for a little while longer.

Thanks for dropping by :)

Pumpkin

Veteran
Indeed :) Trying out Blue Dream from Humboldt Seeds next. Will see how that stacks up next grow.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Week 4

attachment.php

You can see here how much that training stunted growth.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1012688.jpg
    P1012688.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 30
  • P1012692.jpg
    P1012692.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 32

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Do you get any light penetration to the bottoms of the large plants? If not you might want to remove the lower growth to allow better air exchange and lower humidity.