What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6x6 rockwool(hugo) knowledge share

svenghalli

I think Im finally getting the hang of 6' rw. It has pluses and minuses but for commercial applications I think they give the safest(less chance for error), best results. I was hoping this thread would allow knowledge and wisdom to be shared.
I learned that rw can be used twice or more.
Preparing rw cubes by flooding a botanicare tray 7" tray to be the easiest way.
Top drip works the best(in my experience)
Anybody have tips for helping reduce the vege time as the plants start out in the 6"?

I'm using some rw but I'm just hand watering at first. I'm going to hook up a dripper system once my babies are more established but I need to know a good feeding schedule for seedlings.

merkaba

I have thought of doing 6" Hugo's in an ebb and flow. I have never set up a drip system, is it best to run it to waster or recirculating?

sarek

6 " RW in both ebb n flow and drip. They both have pros and cons but both work pretty good.
Veg 1 month directly in hugo from clone. Handwater 1st week or two. Then water once a day for a week then 2 weeks mid feg water 2x per day.

Flower usually water 4X day. Grow largish plants 6 under 1000W .

Nutes around 1000ppm

ebb n flow its good to top feed weekly once

merkaba

I am having trouble getting my HUGO blocks to show roots out the bottoms. I water them only when they are really light. Maybe I need to let them get bone dry.

P

painroad

I am having trouble getting my HUGO blocks to show roots out the bottoms. I water them only when they are really light. Maybe I need to let them get bone dry.

Did you treat them? Soak at 5.5 for 24hrs, feed light, water less, :dance013:

merkaba

I don't soak them for 24hrs...more like 30 minutes. But I do use 5.5 ph. I am comparing a HUGO to a 1.5 gallon coco veg time currently.

turbo14

Veteran
I use 6" Hugo blocks directly onto the 4x4 trays @ 9-12 plants per tray. I flood 1 time a day until week 4 or 5 then it goes to two a day. 2# per light on everything. It works just fine for ebb and flow:)

I run a 40 light garden this way.

turbo

Ras Mason

Veteran
sure it works, just not best scenario. i admit it is easier to manage than a drip system, but uses more water for no reason.
peace.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Turbo14- couple?s as I just started messin around with these and likem so far..... How much veg time on average and what strains u running??? 2 per light on everything even ogs and other low yielders....

turbo, whats your veg times for 9-12 on a 4x4 for those yields? Sure it is made for drip, but have seen results in flood. One tip from a friend is the use of Drip Clean when flooding rockwool to avoid buildup.

turbo, whats your veg times for 9-12 on a 4x4 for those yields? Sure it is made for drip, but have seen results in flood. One tip from a friend is the use of Drip Clean when flooding rockwool to avoid buildup.

turbo14

Veteran

12 plants per table = 2-2.5 Weeks Veg

9 plants per table = 2.5-3.5 Weeks Veg

I use drip clean when running drip to waste systems, but is defiantly not needed in rockwool ebb and flow if you run a lower consistent PPM instead of over fertilizing your plants. Less is more.

turbo

R

rbt

ROCK WOOL start to germ in start plugs 2 days after germ, 4x4 cubes then when the start to show root on bottom I put on split 6" cubes in half ebb and flo once a day 5 minutes for 2 weeks, now 3 time a day for 3 minutes sitting on the 6" cubes now 25 days old since broke germ. View attachment 240095

Last edited:

dlively11

12 plants per table = 2-2.5 Weeks Veg

9 plants per table = 2.5-3.5 Weeks Veg

I use drip clean when running drip to waste systems, but is defiantly not needed in rockwool ebb and flow if you run a lower consistent PPM instead of over fertilizing your plants. Less is more.

turbo

I am just getting ready to run 6x6 Hugos Ebb flow for the first time ever. Have always been hydroton and coco. What PPM do you use ? Do you ever do flushes during veg or bloom ? With rocks I always run 1400-1500 ppm. Once a week when I full res I let it run one day just plain water then add nutes the next.

Thanks

turbo14

Veteran
I am just getting ready to run 6x6 Hugos Ebb flow for the first time ever. Have always been hydroton and coco. What PPM do you use ? Do you ever do flushes during veg or bloom ? With rocks I always run 1400-1500 ppm. Once a week when I full res I let it run one day just plain water then add nutes the next.

Thanks

I stay around 1000-1200 ppm consistently throughout flower. Less is more.

turbo

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran

The trouble is they are dry... Roots aren't going to search and expand into dry medium when they can stay snug and happy in the wet portion.

Rockwool should be wet - it can dry out - but not completely that the rootball is dry... This is really stressing the plants...

You need to overwater the cubes after you soak them. half strength nutes - then plant. 1 liter is over watering imo - even tho it has 3.4 L worth of medium in the hugo - 1 liter always gave off lots of run off.

Water daily but much less 1 cup 250ml and hte roots will expand out hte cube eventually.

this medium is not conceived for flood and drain.

You are kidding right? This is the most bogus information I have read in a while on ICMag... Rockwool Cubes are thee most IDEAL Flood and Drain medium - lol its almost painful to try and explain this... a medium that is a single piece is far more clean - simple and advanced than anything else you flood and drain. no mess - super easy to prep - seriously hugos and deltas are so versatile its making me wonder why I ever went to coco!

Must of been supah stoned on that one!

Latest posts

Latest posts