What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Budget LED's Thread: Imported, Chinese $$$ Saving

Quitters

After months of researching market branded LED's and being disgusted with the prices I recently started researching Alibaba for another more affordable source on the same meanwell driven Samsung lm301h/b diode lit lights. I'll mostly post some bar type lights as I like the more even edges and less hot spot in the middle.. theres literally thousands to sort through and maybe we can help one another pointing each other on better deals on maybe what some of us were already looking at.. seems the more I look the cheaper I keep finding the same assembled or DIY gear.

Feel Free to Help & Contribute :grouphug:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
KingBrite have served us well for years.
A recent quote for a real 600w (4x4 tent) bar light was $650 delivered to the states. Half the price of having it brought in and relabeled for you.

The QBs still make me happy. Light doesn't wear out over distance, it just spreads. So if you have the height they work. Just as multiple 600s don't need lowering with the correct overlap. Though many do find that hard to grasp. On a 4x4 scale, you can get 8 individual 288s running in pairs from 240w drivers. 960w for that same $650 if you trade Osram reds for another brand. Okay the spectrum moves a little, but 50% more power... if you want to hang 8 boards. Which would be a 3x3 pattern with the middle one missing for an even illumination. Running ~1000w reduced to 600w is good for efficiency and life expectancy. Or you could use a 1.4 not a 1.2 as it's ~35% bigger. The flexibility in having 4 units shouldn't be overlooked in terms of changing grow space and when parts fail. Useful for personal growers, but not for people hanging 1000s and 1000s of watts.

For brand buyers our site sponsor has it covered. I have forgot their name again...

Quitters

thanks f-e

Outside of Kingbrite, has anyone bought from other companies and recieved exactly what they ordered as in meanwell drivers and the same top of the line lm301h or lm301b Samsung and Osram, Cree, Epistar diodes etc. ?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
In a swiss growforum kingbrite and meiju are mentioned as reliable source for grow led. Have 2 kb 240w qb waiting for my next run.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
I bought this from the site sponsor and was highly disappointed when it failed so soon. Even more disappointing was that they would not honor the warranty and make it good.
Thought I would share my experience.
picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I bought this from the site sponsor and was highly disappointed when it failed so soon. Even more disappointing was that they would not honor the warranty and make it good.
View Image

sorry, but when u read their '3' year warr, u see its 'BULLSHIT' - i wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire... fuk em...

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Best Cheap Light

Best Cheap Light

I've had great luck with Viparspectra leds. Both the reflector and the newer board style have been little workhorses. Only had one fail, and that was after two plus years of use. Some of the leds on the older model have burnt out, but less than 10% diode loss after years of steady use is not bad. Not sure if they are available everywhere, and I have never needed customer service just an opinion.

Quitters

Shipping is pretty ridiculous through Alibaba decreasing the deals that first got my attention..

I wonder if the lighting manufacturers would reduce shipping by combining if ordering multiple units ?

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
After months of researching market branded LED's and being disgusted with the prices I recently started researching Alibaba for another more affordable source on the same meanwell driven Samsung lm301h/b diode lit lights. I'll mostly post some bar type lights as I like the more even edges and less hot spot in the middle.. theres literally thousands to sort through and maybe we can help one another pointing each other on better deals on maybe what some of us were already looking at.. seems the more I look the cheaper I keep finding the same assembled or DIY gear.

Feel Free to Help & Contribute :grouphug:

it is better to find suppliers that is more than 5 years on alibaba. There are a lot of trading companies offer the inferior products and service.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The 288 boards are almost an industry standard. There are a lot of solder joints and emitters inviting failure and as we use no cover over them they can get knocks. Most failures are LED drop-outs that lead to the load shifting to others in the matrix, leading to further failures coming around sooner. A dead light made with 288 boards isn't scrap. It just needs a readily available spare board. $30 items. That is a much better result than when a custom light fails. Non last forever, so it's actually an eventuality. I sleep sound knowing that when the next gen of LEDs come out, somebody will put them on a 288 board for me. Leaving me sat here wishing my damn light would fail :)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
View Image

Looks like the power jack snapped off? Isn't there a second at the other end of the board? Does this story have it's own thread so I can see if I can help.

Quitters

Well darnskit :dunno:

seems the more i looked and educated myself everywhere I could about chinese led companies on alibaba i came to some conclusions. Take your time hunting !!

But seriously, all the better priced gear from other companies outside of Kingbrite & Meiju haven't been in business very long nor is there enough information on them do i feel to trust them.

I did find better deals from others claiming the same use of Meanwell drivers and top bin Samsung, Cree, Epistar diodes. Ultimately its not just that i wouldn't trust them with my $$ but the customer service it seems everyone is so satisfied with when it comes to KingBrite and Meiju !!!

Quitters

Does anyone know why there's 2 Meiju Lighting Companies

Does anyone know why there's 2 Meiju Lighting Companies

Theres definitely a difference as the shipping is advertised at almost double on the same items ?

picture.php

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
One word... Alibaba = junk!

It's just a marketplace. Anyone can set up there. Just as they can on eBay or Amazon. Only using Amazon the seller has to bump prices 50% to cover the third they loose having a stall there. eBay take less than half as much, but people see eBay as an auction house for other parties but think Amazon is a reputable shop. Quite insane really, but there it is.

Alibaba can't be junk. It's just not a supportable stance. They don't sell anything.

Lots of us have used KB with no complaints. The complainers only base their objections on ridiculous notions such as Ali being a seller. Generally they have already paid over twice what they could of so need the Ali stuff not to be as good as their over-priced purchases. It's a frame of mind. Not reality.

Quitters

It's just a marketplace. Anyone can set up there. Just as they can on eBay or Amazon. Only using Amazon the seller has to bump prices 50% to cover the third they loose having a stall there.

:mopper:

Alibaba is a B2B platform that allows businesses to make wholesale purchases from manufacturers and suppliers across Asia, especially in China. The cheap labor in China and Asia make manufacturing a huge industry there, and growing companies are able to protect their bottom line by getting affordable suppliers through Alibaba. In addition, the wide variety of items available on the platform means there’s hardly anything you can’t find, from manufactured goods to custom products and machinery parts. Further, the platform’s user-friendly design makes it a go-to place for businesses looking for suppliers.
Alibaba.com also has a few tricks that allow it to cater to different businesses and regions and reach a wider customer base. You can order items in bulk, get customized printing on your products, and each vendor sets their own minimum order numbers. And yes, you can even bargain or negotiate on the price. Additionally, the platform offers a variety of payment methods so businesses can always find a convenient way to pay for their orders.