What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best ACE varieties for small spaces?

MrFancyPlants

Hello all, and may your flowers always be sticky and stinky. Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere else on the forum.

I have a small 2x4x4 tent that I have been using to keep photoperiod mothers as well as grow some autos. The primary container is a 20 gallon plastic tote. The biggest issue is the lack of vertical space. With 4 feet total, minus the height of the tote, and minus the height of the LED light and the little bit of space above it, there are maybe less than 2 feet of vertical space for plants to grow.

It would seem that the best possible setup is a very low SCRoG. I would love to grow something like a Guawi in this tent, but having grown several of ACE's pure sativas in my bigger tent, I just don't think it's possible. Not to mention that the lack of above-ground space would make such a large container quite wasteful, as the plant would not veg long enough to fill it out.

So what are my options? I have packs of PCK and Kali China that might fit the bill, but I don't think they're particularly branchy. Perhaps I could grow several (4?) smaller, columnar plants in the 20 gallon container, and simply top/LST them to keep the canopy low.

Let me know what you think! Definitely open to picking up a fresh pack of something else if need be.

(My Honduras mother on the right :watchplant:)

VT4dM2D.jpg

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Hello there,

As I remember Dubi once said, all strains given veg time will branch. So why indeed not try giving PCK and Kali China a longer veg time in there in scrog with quite a bit of pruning. Given a few months, my more indica strains (Snow Moon and Kali China) mothers will branch as much as the more sativa ones, albeit more slowly.

As for other strains, I have a friend who grew Malawi x PCK in same tent size than yours in scrow with 250W HPS, so even less vertical clearance, and it finished without a fuss. He is growing my Mountain Gold from seed after I took a clone for a mother in there, although she is having a bad time after transplant and moving from LED to MH. Anyway, I think most of sativa and sativa/indica hybrid from ACE would do nicely in there. Sativa x PCK hybrid have a reasonable stretch and lovely flavour so yeah, I would definitely give those ones some thoughts.

Cheers and whatever you decide growing, best of luck :)

hyposomniac

Hey.. here's when I turned my tent over on its side, for a 4 foot height, and two kali Chinas that weren't even topped. Ive topped and LSTed other KCs and they take to it well. This was under a de 600 plus leds
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MrFancyPlants

BenoitV1984 - interesting take on the branching. Something to keep an eye out.

Hyposomniac - those Kali Chinas look very manageable, indeed. How long did you veg them for, and how far along in flower are the untopped ones? From the looks of it I would guess 3-4 weeks?

hyposomniac

Late starts, not much veg at all.. maybe 8" tall at flip.. Idk how far those are, but that's the final height. Good shit too

hyposomniac

I used a couple tricks during the stretch period:
negative dif + morning dip and my bluish leaning cmh bulb

Dr.King

Veteran
Greetings man. I know how you feel, I only had probably 3 feet for my Killer A5 to grow under my sp2000 and she is doing just fine. Just LST whatever plant you pick when the time comes cause most plants will need LSTing unless you're lucky lol. PCK is a good choice but if you're wanting a Sativa I think you could still manage one with 2 feet with good LST cause you do have 4 feet wide to spread it out which helps. Happy growing.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi MrFancyPlants,

We have several strains that are suitable for small indoors with height limits, i would recommend the following ones: Auto Zamaldelica, Bubba Hash, Bubba Kush x PCK, CBD #1, Congo, ErdPurt, HashPlant S1, Kali China, Moroccan Beldia, Nepal Jam, Nepal Jam x Kali China, Orient Express, PCK, Pakistani Skunk, Panama x PCK, PCK x Kali China, Snow Moon, Violeta, Zamaldelica x Kali China and Zamaldelica x Nepal Jam.

Kindly read in detail the strain descriptions on our website and choose the ones that suit best your taste!

MrFancyPlants

Thank you all for your responses! I think I'm going to start a Kali China and a Nepal Jam side by side. Will post some updates when I get them going. The more I read about KC's terpenes and flavor, the more I am excited to try it. And with it being, in dubi's own words, his more personal project, I look forward to getting to know the man - and the legend - through his plants :whee:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
KC and NepJam are both great for small spaces. But as others have said, it's all about topping and training. If you check out the Microgrows section of this site you will find some amazing results from very small spaces with great tips and tricks.

Lotto

I'm dealing with 24"-42" height limits. Had several Zam. x Kali C. runs. 3 distinct phenos, easy to train. Several Pangi runs, no problem. Currently growing Panama Standard, Pangi and Ace regular mix. All will finish fine. I'll start training at 3 weeks and will be under flowering lights at 5 weeks.

The width of your plants will often be equal to their height. I don't use nets as I prefer to be able to move plants around.

Obviously not all strains will work but most of what Ace puts out is manageable.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I grow solely in a 2' x 2' tent and a 3' x 3' tent. I've successfully grown Orient Express, Panama, Golden Tiger, Honduras Breeze, Bubba Hash, Nepal Jam, PCK, and others that I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. I've been an Ace customer for many years now. All of the above were done SCROG style. Don't worry too much about it unless you're going with unrefined landraces. And even then, it can be done, because those varieties are so vigorous that they respond well to aggressive training techniques (like SCROG and LST). Just pick the variety you want and go for it, friend.

Latest posts

Latest posts