What's new

Which Led light puts off the least amount of heat?

Dr.King

Veteran
Was wondering out of the brands such as hlg260, mars, spider farmer 2000(runs hot imo) and other quantum boards which one puts off the least amount of heat in a closed up tent? Thanks and happy growing all.

Koondense

Veteran
The one with less watts :)

Seriously... the most efficient one will put out the most par and less heat, so check out the hlg leds, lumatek, chilled led... one thing i really like is the option of separate driver/fixture designs. Just keep the driver out of the tent and lower the temps significantly(or put it inside in winter).

Cheers

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Have a look at our SP3000. There is extra heatsink for it. Less heat output than other QB lights.

indagroove

Veteran
BTU's (standard measurement of heat) are directly proportional to wattage.

1 watt = 3.412142 BTU/hr

G

Have a look at our SP3000. There is extra heatsink for it. Less heat output than other QB lights.

Bullshit. The fixture generates a amount of heat based on output and power used. All a heat sink does is pull heat AWAY from the power source. Very misleading statement on your part.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran

Flat out lie! Buyer beware!

Why would Mars Hydro try to mislead potential customers by posting something like this?

You do not see reputable companies such as HLG do false advertising like this.

I actually get tired of Mars spamming posts, I don’t think it’s good for the users of icmag

indagroove

Veteran
Flat out lie! Buyer beware!

Why would Mars Hydro try to mislead potential customers by posting something like this?

You do not see reputable companies such as HLG do false advertising like this.

I actually get tired of Mars spamming posts, I don’t think it’s good for the users of icmag

I don't think the Mars Hydro rep on this site really understands the science.

Brother Nature

For me, their posts on this site are actually why I haven't bought a Mars light. A good product will always speak for itself it shouldn't need to be shilled off.

Anything with a dimmer or a driver that can be moved out of the room/tent are the way to go if heat is an issue. I've not come across any heat issues with Led's as of yet though, my last run I actually needed to up my temps, but every situation is different. Good luck with your search mate.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Yup, like already said there is no magic. Less watts means less heat. No other way to make less heat. It is possible to make more light per watt, but same wattage will always produce the same ammount of heat.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
was thinking if a enclosure for quantumboard style leds would make sense. like the aircooled hoods for de hps so u cool the outside of the reflector and have no glass.

Dr.King

Veteran
Thanks for the replies everyone. Great information on the subject. As for remote drivers if one is growing inside a closet with a tent placing the driver outside the tent inside the closet with it closed would still not help correct? Even if the door was open some to let a/c in. Thanks and happy growing.

Dion

Thanks for the replies everyone. Great information on the subject. As for remote drivers if one is growing inside a closet with a tent placing the driver outside the tent inside the closet with it closed would still not help correct? Even if the door was open some to let a/c in. Thanks and happy growing.

Hi mate

Just read this thread

In ur case I would suggest the following

Buy a Chinese copy Quantum board, meiju board I believe they are called

And then buy an extra board

Run both boards off the single driver in parallel ( + to + , - to -)

U will be running each board at half power and thus will be very efficient (as mentioned no led really produces less heat, just the ratio of light, heat and watts can be managed)

In ur case U will have more light for the same watts with the same heat so won't need as many watts as it's more efficient so won't have as much total heat

Driver goes on top of the cab, or side U will easily figure out where to hide the driver

If it's out of tent and inside cab will still work fine as long as U aren't pulling air in from said cab

Good luck

And stay away from Mars, especially if U don't want very hot lights that die quickly and have no real warranty