What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water consumption + Root restriction to speed up flowering, how small do you go?

NorGreen

How much will root restriction speed up the flowering process of a normal 9-10 weeks auto, and how small does the pot has to be?

The plan was to use 10 liter/2,6 gallon pots, one on top of the other with a water reservoir in the bottom and a self wicking mat/cheap cotton/acrylic carpet hanging from the top one.

Worked wonders for my tomatoes last year, and I figure it would work for cannabis as well?
How much should I expect a standard auto to drink mid flower and late flower, per day/week, in full sun and 25C/77F vs partly sun/cloudy and 15C/59F?

I'm at 59N, so we do get a few more hours of sun than most of you guys, but normally the temperature is somewhere between manageable short pants weather and long pants weather.. some summers even rain coat weather for weeks..

Ball park, thoughts?

If I want to make my 10 liter pots smaller, could it be an idea to fill a layer around the edges with fine wood chips/shavings as I fill it up with soil, and also get a kinda smart pot effect?

Yeah, one more thing... for a plant in a pot to get any water to speak of from the rain, does it have to pour down the whole day?
Will "normal" rain for a few hours, to half the day, a few times per week really make any noticeable difference in terms of water consumption from the reservoir?

T

Teddybrae

Beginning with your last question: Yes. Rain and humidity will slow water consumption. Cannabis is much like mammals in that regard. Thimk: Have you noticed you piss more on rainy days?

Sounds counter intuitive to me that you would deliberately inhibit the growth of yr plants by reducing the quantity of their soil but ... if as you describe organic material is used for this it will soak up all your Nitrogen.

I 'm doubtful your method will hasten flowering.

But hey! The Learning is in the Doing ...

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Nor green, if you need smoke faster than an auto go to a dispensary . You are already well into your growing season. Small pots and cannabis is always a horrible idea.
Please consider whatever source of information you have been using and run away from it. Stop by my thread in the Ace seeds forum Growing, living, loving, peace. It's at the bottom of the first page. I cover step by step how to prepare the best soil you will ever use. You can keep the same soils for many years and they just get better.

Don't get sucked in by gimmicks and hyped up miracle products. You don't need any of that stuff to grow incredible cannabis.
Peace brother

I don't know about your wicking system, but restricted pot size will definitely result in smaller plants that enter flowering Sooner. I've succefully done pheno hunts and seed runs in solo cup SOGs, germination to harvest in around 57 days. Outdoors I probably wouldn't use anything smaller than 1 gallon

Latest posts

Latest posts