What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kratom

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I received my kratom plants.
Rifat,
Green malay,
Pink vein indo
Bumblebee (never heard of it)
And 2 others

Also got a rooted betel plant, and a few unrooted betel cuttings.

And a bunch of seeds labeled "pink impatiens"

Not sure why he sent those, I dunno if they are medicinal or what.

I need to know how many hours of light they should have. And what spectrum they prefer

I ordered 5 kratom plants and a betel plant.
Anyone else grow kratom?
Tips hints or advice for growing K in a 3x3 tent?

I have 3 bushes growing outside in tropical climate. Started from cuts of red vein and bumble bee varieties. They are in the ground as they outgrew the containers. They didn’t seem to like to be root bound and containers dry out too quickly. They love a ton of water and wet leaves, think tropical rain forest. In dry spells I have to water them. They will turn into a full tree in correct environment. I have one about 8’ at 3 years. Never have fertilized seems to get enough nutrients from rain and ground. I think they feed and hydrate through leaves like a lot of rain forest trees. The fresh leaves are very strong. 1 leaf the size of your hand will do the job almost to much like taking a large dose would do. I bought them as cuts from eBay seller. I was worried about the ban on Kratom a few years ago and was determined to have my own supply. I don’t know about growing in a tent. Maybe to bring inside during winter in a cold environment then outside in summer. It can maintain and survive in containers. I know a lady that keeps one in a large stone or clay container. Trims it like a bush or bonsai taking leaves and it regrows back easily in containers it will need some amendments or top dressing.
Loves full sun. One in shade grows less vigorous.

St. Phatty

what's it like when you chew the Kratom leaves ?

as far as light ... give them what you would give an equatorial Sativa ?

AB0D8A88-3A30-4AD7-9014-6FD7B58B7E6D.jpg .
The fresh leaves are bitter. 1 fresh leaf is a strong dose. I feel about the same effect as around large dose of dried powder leaf. The effect comes on quicker than powder leaf. The fresh leaf seems to have a lot of the active alkaloids. Speedy and active, but also quickly to the narcotic sleepy I’m ready for a nap feeling. I prefer the active ready to work feeling and fresh leaf can be to much to quick. My wife will grind up a leaf in a stone smasher thing mixed with a bit of water and sugar. It helps with taste and a bit of dilution. Drink that in a shot and it’s blast off.
During winter months a lot of older leaves will die off and drop brown on the ground. I am going to try to collect some of the dead leaves to compare to fresh green.
Yes full light is better. Loves heat. Doesn’t like dry roots or soil. The cuts I had rooted and took off pretty quickly. I started with 6 cuts and ended with 4 good ones and 2 that didn’t make it were my fault from dry out. I wouldn’t put in a hyped up soil. Normal dirt and light fertilizer to start. Leaves could burn with to much nutrients. If you could bring outside in summer and under light in winter that would be great. I’ve had temps in upper 30s F and it survived, but will drop leaves and look dead, but as long as tips of branch don’t get damaged they bounce back with green tips. If I know it’s going to get cold I water roots and leaves to help protect.

LiudwigXIX

I am also fond of leaves, but I take into account the dosage of the powder and the ratio of the natural product. Very often it was not possible to find the optimal middle ground, so I don’t dabble in such a thing myself, I just take and make myself various additives, you can add it to food or drink. Honestly, there is not much difference, but my head does not hurt after taking it. Oh yes, we must distinguish between a hemp product and oil obtained by special pressing.

Last edited by a moderator:

shithawk420

Veteran
Nice plants. I recently tried kratom for the first time.i had I think around 10 grams of powder.i was drinking but first thing I noticed was the similar opioid " warmness". I definitely felt "something" and I actually wanted the real thing.i guess I just have that addictive personality. I don't think kratom is very good for really strong addiction.will try again though.just my initial thoughts.damn that powder is messy too

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
It has SOME of the classic opioid effects. I was a opioid addict for 16 years. I like that it gives me the opioid energy rush with out the sedative effects. It does not decrease breathing rate like real opioids, so no risk of overdose death.
If you happen to take too much kratom you just throw up from to much powder in your stomach instead of dying.
No nodding. No risk of wrecking my car, no risk of turning into the addict I was.
When I was on pills, I never missed a dose. There was no forgetting that you need to have a fix. I'm constantly forgetting to take Kratom.

Some people say that they get "dope sick" from not taking kratom. With me the only withdrawal symptoms I get are I get tired and yawn alot. Then I goto sleep and wake up and feel normal.
Kratom is like caffeine to me. It just wears off and you get tired.
The major negative of Kratom is that I believe it makes my kidney stones worse. I'm pretty sure that it has a high oxalate content.
Getting a big burst of energy isn't worth the kidney stones, so I've really cut back on taking it. Not only does it contain oxalates, but it also quenches thirst, so you never really drink enough when taking a lot of Kratom powder.
I try to use it more as a tool now, than to just always be working at top speed and function.
I went from taking 2 or 3 giant heaping spoonfuls every 3 or 4 hours to now I take almost one whole spoonful 3 times a day. Sometimes I forget and only take it once or twice a day.
I have to increase my dietary calcium with anything that contains oxalates, so I drink it with milk instead of water and try to eat a yogurt.

Green Squall

Nice plants. I recently tried kratom for the first time.i had I think around 10 grams of powder.i was drinking but first thing I noticed was the similar opioid " warmness". I definitely felt "something" and I actually wanted the real thing.i guess I just have that addictive personality. I don't think kratom is very good for really strong addiction.will try again though.just my initial thoughts.damn that powder is messy too

That's a pretty strong dose! Might want to start lower and see how you feel. I take 6 or 7 capsules which is probably less than 3 grams, but it still leaves me pain free for a few hours and gives me a nice mental boost.

OilGuy

Glad to hear about the positive experiences of using Kratom. I came across this forum while searching for ways to manage joint pain caused by Osteoarthritis. I’ve been dealing with pain for almost a decade, but it has gotten worse in the past few years. I also experimented with meditation, physical therapy, and massages, which help temporarily, but after a while, the pain returns. In addition, smoking weed makes me sick. So recently, when I saw a Facebook post about the benefits of Kratom, I started looking into it. I read a lot of valuable information on Outlookindia.com about how Kratom helps with pain relief, anxiety, and depression. I didn’t know it also helps with withdrawal symptoms.
I also appreciate this info Nicholas! Have you tried using both homegrown kratom products and storebought ones? Have you noticed much of a difference in effects if so? Jw, I've bought kratom for awhile from my closest headshop and I've been wondering if it'd be worth the effort (in terms of time, money, effects etc.) to grow my own instead.

Last edited by a moderator: