What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overfeeding in organic living soil

Cvh

Supermod
Hi guys,

Currently I'm doing my first organic run in living soil with the Biobizz nutrient line and added batguano's, bacto's, funghi and several other amendments. Previously I grew chem for years in coco.
Everything is fine for the moment and the plant is doing excellent.

But I do need your experience/opinion about overfeeding with organics.

I understand the soil food web and how it works. I have the books True Living Organics by the Rev and The teaming with series.

What I personally understand is that it's nearly impossible to overfeed in Living Soil. You don't feed the plant directly but rather the living organisms in the soil which in turn feed the plant.
What I belief so far is that any organic fertilizer that was added to much will be buffered in the soil and left there as reserve for the soil life.

What's your opinion/experience? Have you ever burned your plant as you would see with chem nutes?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Yes you can overdo it with the organic ferts but it is harder to do. Some plant types (Sativa) are more sensitive to ferts, but Indica will take more food and love it.

Cvh

Supermod
Thanks Bombaycat for sharing your experience.

Anybody else want to comment? Feel free to give your opinion.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I've used biobizz and I doubt you'll burn your plants with it but you might be using more ferts than you need.
I've not seen any signs of burning with Biobizz or GO's line.
when I used those ferts all the way through a run I would dump the soil in my garden and start with more Happy frog the next run.

now I'm using Coot's style soil and feeding ACT every watering and I get similar quality but reuse the mixture.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
organic feed in ionic form makes your grow transitional which is a fine method but counter intuitive to los methodology and makes for a ton of over kill at a minimum in this scenario

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator.

The organic method relies on the "passive ionic uptake" pathway for nutrient absorption. Cannabis enjoys additional pathways of uptake, which tend to draw in unwanted and unconvertible elements. These actions makes it a great plant for "phytoremediation" which is the process of using plants to pull toxins out of soil.

These unwanted and completely un-necessary elements absorbed by cannabis will not flush or fade out. Period. They are fixed to new plant tissue and will be present at harvest day and beyond.

Your goal is to provide a nutrient availability which does not exceed what the plant needs. Cannabis can and will absorb what it doesn't need, so keep it out of the root zone. :)
Save

jidoka

Dude...you need to do some tissue testing before you spout this shit. You are not even close to correct...lotta big words that don’t mean shit though, I give you that

Douglas.Curtis

Dude...you need to do some tissue testing before you spout this shit. You are not even close to correct...lotta big words that don’t mean shit though, I give you that
Plenty of tissue tests in phytoremediation studies. Does cannabis uptake and retain heavy metals it has no need for? Yep. Does cannabis uptake and retain elements it has no need for? Yep. Cannabis is a hog, and in my experience it's best to severely limit what's available in the root zone. It creates significantly higher quality. Have you educated yourself on what a hyper/dynamic accumulator plant is? Might want to do that first. I know this is a very hot topic for some, it's old and boring for me though.

Stonier Jump

If cannabis is a hog why would I want to severely limit what is in the root zone? Wouldn't adequate amounts of the proper elements feed this hog better and get her fatter?

Douglas.Curtis

If cannabis is a hog why would I want to severely limit what is in the root zone? Wouldn't adequate amounts of the proper elements feed this hog better and get her fatter?
Unfortunately, no. It's a hog in the sense it will gleefully absorb more elements than is necessary for optimal quality. Cannabis has zero distinction for what humans consider "quality" cannabis. Among other things, cannabis has been shown to absorb toxic levels of cadmium from "Cadmium Safe" soils.

One of the attributes of a hyper/dynamic accumulator plant, is the ability to 'appear' healthy while absorbing high levels of a contaminate. In our case, quality cannabis, we don't want any at all.

You want only what cannabis needs in the root zone. In amounts which can be readily absorbed and utilized. You'll produce superior quality cannabis this way. :)

Cvh

Supermod
Thanks all for replying.
Anybody else want to give their opinion? Feel free to do so.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the inaccuracy of some of the information being provided is disheartening

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0099641

Understanding Cultivar-Specificity and Soil Determinants of the Cannabis Microbiome

Cannabinoid concentration and composition was significantly correlated to structure of endorhiza communities

https://www.fundacion-canna.es/en/variations-terpene-profiles-different-strains-cannabis-sativa-l

Variations in Terpene Profiles of Different Strains of Cannabis sativa L

The psychotropic effects of Cannabis, primarily due to the main psychotropic cannabinoid, Δ9-THC (delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol), have been intensely studied as pure compounds for medicinal activity. The pharmaceutical industry, however, is interested in the plant as a source of raw material and studying the variability and synergy among the various secondary metabolites. Other cannabinoids, terpenoids, and flavonoids may reduce Δ9-THC-induced anxiety, cholinergic deficit, and immunosuppression, while at the same time increase cerebral blood flow, enhance cortical activity, kill respiratory pathogens, and provide anti-inflammatory activity (McPartland and Russo, 2001). Terpenoids possess a broad range of biological properties, including cancer chemo preventive effects, skin penetration enhancement, antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-hyperglycemic, anti-inflammatory, and antiparasitic activities (Paduch et al., 2007).

fwiw I transitioned from bottles to pure living soil over ten years so I could understand from how each component effects the plant in the same environment with the same cultivars

my gallery represents all methods and having run the same cultivars and gotten expression hard to find elsewhere I can still make the claim that all things equal the primary metabolite expression is similar if not equal and secondary metabolite production superior

this is why I so strongly suggest people try to transition all the way even if it is only with a container or two until they feel comfortable enough to deploy it throughout the whole of the garden

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
CVH

can you tell me exactly what your soil mix is made of and why you are using guano biobizz and adding microbiology and perhaps what brought you to this point?

it will help me give you some suggestions either to save you resources if you want to grow transitionally or go living soil. if the differential is unclear I will be glad to explain.

Cvh

Supermod
Hi Weird.

I'm using Biobizz lightmix as soil amended with Complete Organics from guanokalong
https://www.guanokalong-shop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=83

For bacteria I added Bio Bacto and for funghi I added Bio Myco. Both products are also from guanokalong.
https://www.guanokalong-shop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=69

For feed I give the plant Biobizz Grow and/or Biobizz Fishmix with some Biobizz Alg-a-mic. Also I foilar sprayed her a few times.

Later when she is flowering she'll be given a topdressing of the bat guano by guanokalong and Biobizz Bloom and Biobizz Top-max.
https://www.guanokalong-shop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=85

The mulching layer are old fanleaves from previous grow.

Also I had to order GHE Mineral Magic for additional silicate and other micronutrients. This should arrive next week.
https://www.eugrowshop.eu/uk/nutrition-supplements/ghe-products/ghe-mineral-magic-1kg/

It's another member that told me to do it this way. This member is mentoring me to switch from chem to organic.

Could you explain me the difference between transitional and living soil?
To my understanding this is true living soil. No chems are used. Biobizz Grow consist of Vinasse derived from sugarbeets.

Here is picture taken today of her. 4 weeks from seed. Skunk#11.

picture.php

Last edited:

Nancee

I think there's so much information out there its hard to keep up! Great looking little plant OP!
Do you use much popcorn tea?

Cvh

Supermod
No teas. I have not yet the necessary items for that. Maybe in the future. I'm still new to organics.

My mentor asked me to share this picture also with you guys.
This is the same plant 2 weeks ago before the feeding was started.
It was given the last weeks a topdressing of the Organics Mix, Biobizz Grow, Fishmix, alg-a-mic and also foilar fed. Also some more bacteria were added.

As you can see it was pale and yellow in comparison with the previous picture and 4-5 times smaller.

I think my mentor knows his ways.
picture.php

Last edited:

MedResearcher

Veteran
You can surely overfeed your soil/plant using organics. Organics don't simply flush out either, so depending on the amount of soil it can be a bad problem.

Typically I have seen lock outs from over feeding specific stuff. Also you can physically cook the plants roots if you make the soil to hot. Physically blocking the root zone by "caking" to much organic material, can lead to some anaerobic activity near your feeder roots and stalk which can be problematic as well. A nice layer of amendments and compost is great, just not to thick. Some amendments have better tilthe, so they don't cake so easily.

A little guano and some bio bizz, I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably go broke buying bio bizz before you burn a plant with it. :biggrin:

Keep it simple, adjust stuff one at a time. Can always add more thin layers of guano versus adding to much at once. Lately I have really noticed how well a plant does when it is constantly fed, opposed to feeding a lot, then not feeding.

Mr^^