What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long term storage -vacuum sealed jars in the freezer?

THC123

Veteran
The best way to preserve the quality of our bud for long term is using vac-seal mylar bags.

You can choose to cure your bud beforehand or even just vac-seal and freeze without curing (as organic freshly herb is also good without curing and has other terpenes than older weed, more monoterps vs sesquiterps)

You can cut the bags into smaller sizes to have weekly portions so that all the rest stays as it was.

Don't ever use plastic vacuum bags as they will fuck up the taste of your buds (trust me I tried and compared food safe plastic vs vac seal mylar). Mylar is inert and won't leach anything. It preserves the quality, taste and texture wonderfully.

The issue with freezing your bud in glass jars is that once the jar comes out of the freezer, you will be opening the jar sometimes to get weed out, this will deteriorate the quality. This has nothing to do with the freezing but rather with the fact that fresh air will come into the jar.

For me jars are good to get weed at a certain point with minimal opening. But one you hit the point at which the weed is at it's best, it is best to package it in vac seal mylar bags in small portions(lets say 10-20 grams)

You can then choose to freeze or not. But after 6 months I would def. freeze it. You can also freeze vac-sealed buds at different times to get different tastes, aromas and quality from the same batch of weed. For example after 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 months. This way you can have fresher herb and more cured herb from the same batch so to have variation.

Not sure if i'm comfortable in wrapping my stuff in plastic... theres the poisonous shit in plastic leeching into my medicine fear in my head...

Oh God I'm tired of hearing this retarded shit.

I am certifiably the pickiest most sensitive toker on earth (haven't smoked since the vape was invented, I'm that much of an autistic snob). There is nothing wrong with zip locks, or food savers.

If you grow with bottled nutes, you need to realize that shit puts plastics into your bud. Zip locks are not gay ass grow tents and Rubbermaid grow pots. I swear.. Smoking plastic weed grown in plastic out of plastic pipes, and worried about zip locks leeching? Who started this dumbass rumor?

Another thing for long term in jars is moisture content. To avoid mold use a hygrometer and jar up when it is around 50-55% . I cure it first also for a month first at about 55-60%. Once your moisture drops below 55 the cure stops. Then I jar and vacuum seal the jars

Moisture content is not RH.

Who thinks they can get a Relative humidity reading of an environment as small as a jar of weed? You guys are playing imaginary again! Who cares how moist the jar air is, it's the buds that matter. If you cant figure out the difference.. RH is relative, moisture content is not.

How does this keep getting thrown around the internet? Dropping RH? Everyone who actually grows weed raises RH through cure..

Cant wait til Russia takes down the internet. Too much bullshit.

THC123

Veteran
Sorry but it is not a dumbass rumour.

On my last harvest I used food safe plastic vacuum bags(the ones that are delivered with the princess vacuum sealer) and mylar bags. EVERY bag of the plastic ones tastes like shit while it smelled perfect.

The ones in mylar tasted like they smelled. DO a side by side and you will see the HUGE difference.

I never had this problem with plastic ziplock bags(although i never used those for longterm storage) but the food safe plastic vacuum bags are a big NO if you want to go for the best taste. I personally don't have anything against plastic and I was not worrying about anything leaching into the bud as the plastic was "food safe". But still it ruined the taste (not the smell). I don't know if the cause is anything leaching or something else but I did so many side by sides that there is not one single doubt in my mind. Mylar and glass are ok plastic not so.

iTarzan

Soul the jar RH is an indication of the bud water content. As the buds dry the moister is released as water vapor into the jar. The buds are put in a jar. They have the moisture. You put the hygrometer in the jar. When the RH is higher than what you want you open the jar to release the water vapor. The water vapor came out of the buds and raised the RH in the jar. You continue the process until the jar RH stabilizes at the RH level you want. If you are curing the RH needs to be 55-60%. Cure times vary by individual preference. If you are storing long term you want it to be a lower RH.

People have been measuring the RH of small areas for a long time. Pet owners who have reptiles and people that have terrariums use small hygrometers.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mylar bags for me no vacuum. Jars always seem to leak at the seal for me.

Me thinks Julienichols is a Chinese bot. I've seen a lot of such posts by Girl first name last name "newbies". For the record I have not clicked her links to see what she is selling :)

I do hope i am wrong julie. Do tell us if I am.

SaToRi_GrOwS

I just slow dry them usually 10 to 12 days or so and then into glass jars sealed and stored in a cool dark area for storage up to a year as long as it under 60 degrees in the storage I never notice any degrading of potency or smell or anything like that. Within 2 weeks in jars after the slow dry it's usually loud as fuck and cured proper.

SaToRi_GrOwS

Freezing your plant is going to make the trichomes brittle and fall off. That's the very premise of bubble hash.

Same way I look at it also, I wouldn't freeze flower that was going to be smoked. But I damn sure freeze my flower fresh for hash. I like to keep it in storage around 55 to 60 degrees if I plan on smoking flower.

Cork144

no the premise of bubble hash is freezing and then agitation....... frozen buds in a jar arent bobbing about like theyre in a car with no suspension,

go make some bubble hash without agitating the material and let me know how you get on, il take whatever material you have left over:laughing::woohoo:
once the buds are at room temp, are the trichomes still frozen,,,,,,,,,,

think not

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Me thinks Julienichols is a Chinese bot. I've seen a lot of such posts by Girl first name last name "newbies". For the record I have not clicked her links to see what she is selling :)

I do hope i am wrong julie. Do tell us if I am.
It is 100% a bot bro. You can google her post and it shows up word for word on other weed forums.

THC123

Veteran
Freezing cannabis is not a problem as long as you dont agitate the buds. If you let it thaw later, the bud will be sticky and smelly and potent as ever.

Latest posts

Latest posts