What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

large scale production

jonathanfrost

Any one have any resources or info on the best method/combination of techniques used by the pros to regulate temp and humidity for larger scale productions, e.g. around 40k watts plus fans, other equip, etc.?

Much appreciated. Thanks

queequeg152

Veteran
a thermostat?

how do you think they regulate temperatures in a 400,000 sq.ft office building?

if the load is uniform across the structure... its not even that hard. just proper duct work and a series of thermostats and dampers.

jonathanfrost

I get that controllers would be involved. I meant methodology overall. I estimate this set up to put off 160 kbtu/h during the on cycle. That's a lot of heat to remove. Do commercial operators typically go strictly AC or a combination of AC, high ceilings, and overhead air cycling or something else? Also, how does the room layout and its dimensions play into air exchange/conditioning configurations?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How are you asking these questions with no knowledge base to work from?

That's ignoring the fact all answers are already here if you look (work) for them, rather than asking people to do your legwork on what will become to be known as the Money Pit.

jonathanfrost

No knowledge base? Asking people to do legwork? What do you mean? Should I go to HVAC school? I just asked for some info and resources. I thought that was part of the point of these forums.. to seek answers regarding knowledge you know nothing about. Or are they about criticizing the ignorant?

What a joke... after a quick glance of the various topics posted in this forum, I could say that almost every one of them could warrant such a response as they ask elementary questions. For example (straight from your forum), filter in my living room? Quality Grow tent? Storing nutrients? 4 kW basement grow? Mold resistant paint? Not only do the people posting those threads get answers to their very basic questions quick and easy, you choose my thread to harass when I'm asking a technical question that isn't easily answered. Gtfoh.

If the answers are here, where are they? Obviously I don't know where to look, and 'use a controller' is far from an adequate answer. You could have referred me to those resources instead of chastising me, and wasting your time.

Go harass the guy asking about building a garden. After all, Google could probably answer every question that guy has in five minutes.

I'm just going to call an HVAC guy.

Your forum is garbage.

FoothillFarming

Don't blame the whole forum bud, you just have three responses. Good luck, and maybe share what you learn.

BTW, I have no info. Outdoor here.

FoothillFarming

Me personally, been in the trades for 15+ years. My first questions would be, size of rooms. 40k in one room, or 10 smaller ones? Size of ceiling height, lights used, number of lights, closed system or co2, legal or not?????? Just to start.

A normal VAC guy might have problems calculating extra heat from lights.......that reminds me........gravita's? Open lights or closed air for the lights?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
No knowledge base? Asking people to do legwork? What do you mean? Should I go to HVAC school? I just asked for some info and resources. I thought that was part of the point of these forums.. to seek answers regarding knowledge you know nothing about. Or are they about criticizing the ignorant?

What a joke... after a quick glance of the various topics posted in this forum, I could say that almost every one of them could warrant such a response as they ask elementary questions. For example (straight from your forum), filter in my living room? Quality Grow tent? Storing nutrients? 4 kW basement grow? Mold resistant paint? Not only do the people posting those threads get answers to their very basic questions quick and easy, you choose my thread to harass when I'm asking a technical question that isn't easily answered. Gtfoh.

If the answers are here, where are they? Obviously I don't know where to look, and 'use a controller' is far from an adequate answer. You could have referred me to those resources instead of chastising me, and wasting your time.

Go harass the guy asking about building a garden. After all, Google could probably answer every question that guy has in five minutes.

I'm just going to call an HVAC guy.

Your forum is garbage.
I think the question you asked comes up here quite often. people generally get fed up of saying the same thing. lots of questions about people scaling up to huge grows with no real knowledge of how to kit out the actual room. its kinda like saying you are gonna build a house but that you dont know how to mix cement. most people would/should have some knowledge of this on a smaller scale and scale it up.
just my 2c.

jonathanfrost

Your 2c is garbage. Just like this forum. Just like this thread. If people don't want to answer a question, they don't have to, but I guess they're just so sick of answering HVAC questions, that they've moved on to more academic topics like mold-resistant paint and grow tents, and leave the technical questions to the trolls.

I scrolled through the threads here and didn't find any of the answers I was looking for. I don't feel that I asked a cumbersome or general question about building a garden. I asked about a very specific element which is a subject technical enough to earn a professional HVAC technician $60k+ a year.

I don't see how any one inferred anything about my level of experience beyond my lack of HVAC experience. The garden I'm used to maintaining runs on a 14 kbtu AC unit. I asked about methodology and techniques for large scale operations because to scale to a garden that puts out 160 kbtu/h will be very expensive if relying solely on AC.

I have found all of the HVAC formulas I need to calculate optimal air cycle and heat output based on my dimension and equipment estimates, but very little on methodology. Your sticky on HVAC is garbage. A google search for 'heat load calculations' will quickly yield better organized, easier to read, and more informative guides.

I texted an HVAC guy, so don't worry about. Thanks for all of your input. I'll be sure to recommend all of my friends to your awesome, friendly, and vastly informative forum.

T

TreehouseJ

Split it up into 4x 10k watt rooms to fail-safe against losing your entire crop to infestation/contamination.

If you lurk through the threads long enough, you will find that most of these dudes are smart as a whip. I've been all over the world and I think this is the smartest group of people I have found to date. Just read through the 5 star threads for a few days to get a feel of the IC vibe, the dudes worth 6-7 figures don't like to repeat themselves. I can't even imagine where they find the time to come and help us at all. It's kind of astonishing to see so many intelligent people with so little ego in one place. There is always rollitup if you'd prefer..

FoothillFarming

Any one have any resources or info on the best method/combination of techniques used by the pros to regulate temp and humidity for larger scale productions, e.g. around 40k watts plus fans, other equip, etc.?

Much appreciated. Thanks

To answer your question, you didn't give even close to enough information...... Like I already said. The proper way to calculate the AC needs would be off cubic feet. You didn't list anything but the approximate amount of lights. Stop being a douche and work with us for a second.......

I have seen warehouses with 20 ft ceilings and their needs are no where near what a 9ft ceiling would require. Just to start. What's the building's R-ratings, what is the average temps in the summer/winter, ext ext.

How old are you? 25?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Your 2c is garbage. Just like this forum. Just like this thread. If people don't want to answer a question, they don't have to, but I guess they're just so sick of answering HVAC questions, that they've moved on to more academic topics like mold-resistant paint and grow tents, and leave the technical questions to the trolls.

I scrolled through the threads here and didn't find any of the answers I was looking for. I don't feel that I asked a cumbersome or general question about building a garden. I asked about a very specific element which is a subject technical enough to earn a professional HVAC technician $60k+ a year.

I don't see how any one inferred anything about my level of experience beyond my lack of HVAC experience. The garden I'm used to maintaining runs on a 14 kbtu AC unit. I asked about methodology and techniques for large scale operations because to scale to a garden that puts out 160 kbtu/h will be very expensive if relying solely on AC.

I have found all of the HVAC formulas I need to calculate optimal air cycle and heat output based on my dimension and equipment estimates, but very little on methodology. Your sticky on HVAC is garbage. A google search for 'heat load calculations' will quickly yield better organized, easier to read, and more informative guides.

I texted an HVAC guy, so don't worry about. Thanks for all of your input. I'll be sure to recommend all of my friends to your awesome, friendly, and vastly informative forum.

I wasn't trying to answer your question I was explaining why most people will avoid answering it..

jonathanfrost

I apologize for calling your forum garbage. I have little tolerance for getting harassed online, and usually abstain from social media and forums and such.

I didn't list any technical specifications because I am just seeking resources and information regarding methodology.

I scheduled an appointment with an HVAC guy to get a quote. It's the best way to do it anyway, but thanks guys.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I apologize for calling your forum garbage. I have little tolerance for getting harassed online, and usually abstain from social media and forums and such.

I didn't list any technical specifications because I am just seeking resources and information regarding methodology.

I scheduled an appointment with an HVAC guy to get a quote. It's the best way to do it anyway, but thanks guys.
if your gonna post on any forum online, it helps to be thick skinned. theres a wealth of information here, you would be crazy not to take advantage of it if you love what you do.. :)

FoothillFarming

Since you didn't give any "specifications" because you are just "seeking resources" then I have the best answer for you......Use AC...........

A month down the line you will start a thread about how to keep you area cool with what your working with. Most AC guys have no clue. Good luck with a random draw out the yellow pages......yea.....clearly "best way to do it anyway"......... Fucking clueless.

And yes, your no older than 25. With daddies money.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harassed?

You're going from 2 lights to 40 and have no direction or even a cohesive plan.

"Looked at a few threads"

There is a site search feature. Personally, I prefer Google and the string "site:icmag.com".

Yes, most questions asked are redundant. One grows tired of herding one light cats and tends to only reply to threads such as this, wherein costly mistakes are imminent.

You are a cliche. There are dozens of threads just like this. All of you want to scale up with minimum applied effort. It is entirely possible to start green, learn and exceed 100kw from information posted long ago that none of you bother to read.

9/10 of your type end up broke and in debt up to their tits. Buck up or fuck off, there is no shortage of whiney twats in the industry. Fix your attitude or make their mistakes over again. Enabling by spoonfeeding only prolongs a slow death and increases debt.

Good luck. And I mean that, I originally replied to spur you to question your position and avoid the fate of all those before you. I'm an asshole and fairly abrasive, very little is personal.

Last edited: