What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

native american strains = american landrace weed?

W

Water-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4721096/

"Overseas seed dispersal by migratory bird"

We conclude that both omnivorous and frugivorous migratory birds can disperse seeds over hundreds of kilometres. Considering the broad distribution and high abundance of migratory birds, their LDD services can be translated into large amounts of propagules of different species travelling each year over large spatial scales, including dispersal to islands and between continents. "

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
the birds break the cannabis seeds to eat the inside, of these seeds nothing survives.
the seedlings that are born under the cages of the birds come from seeds fallen from the manger, not eated...

burningfire

Veteran
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4721096/

"Overseas seed dispersal by migratory bird"

We conclude that both omnivorous and frugivorous migratory birds can disperse seeds over hundreds of kilometres. Considering the broad distribution and high abundance of migratory birds, their LDD services can be translated into large amounts of propagules of different species travelling each year over large spatial scales, including dispersal to islands and between continents. "

The closest point between africa and south america is 3,000 KM ( not hundreds )

clearheaded

The evidence of stronger tobacco then today doesnt mean anything. "evidence of hemp" in the pipe. DNA of hemp cannabis sativa? or perhaps just "indian hemp" which i think is ALOT more likely as it grows all over but is not cannabis, there is also many other plants they called hemp that were used for fiber in americas but are not cannabis so likely just a bit of info taken out of context and not referring to cannabis as making such a claim would of raised eyebrows in scientific community. This also likely explains the "hemp pouch" found in burrial. not cannabis but one of lamens terms of hemp(again the several non related species reffered to as indian hemp). because hemp is not native to NA refferncing the bag to hemp likely was just meaning an unidentified plant fiber.

If it was natively found in NA there certainly would be more evidence of seeds around sites and most certainly be found and properly identified in traces of clothing. alot of the northern indians did not use cloth but mostly hides.

If they do find any hemp it is likely from asia when folks came over the land bridge near alaska. or early vikings (that perhaps had access to hemp ropes) coming over prior to columbus to east coast of canada/usa.

ethnobotanists(mark merlin rob clarkes buddy is pretty aswesome ) have a pretty good handle on alot of plant sources. potatos are from peru and not OLD irish northern euro staple prior to being brough over. hot peppers tomatoes (can u believe no tomato sauce in italy prior to columbus? thought to be poisionous aswell) all came from north america and were not in europe prior to the 16th century if i am not mistaken. and of course chocolate from South america aswell and corn is american ;)

W

Water-

yeah, I doubt a bird can hold on to their poop for a few thousand mile voyage.

5 minutes tops is what they seem to be able to handle.

when you wrote this, it made me think.

so I looked it up.

turns out you were wrong.

I never mentioned trans atlantic bird shit

clearheaded

the birds break the cannabis seeds to eat the inside, of these seeds nothing survives.
the seedlings that are born under the cages of the birds come from seeds fallen from the manger, not eated...

This is false, If you know anything about biology you know spread of seed is not from spilling it on the ground but plants have methods to spread there seed. watch botany of desire by dr pollan.

MANY infact most seeds are designed to pass through digestive systems. thats why they make fruit. birds dont break every seed open they also will fly away with a bud to a differnt location to feed on and some may fall out. Anyway its bio 101 so wont go on too much more about it but yes birds poop out seeds that grow, not every seed but why they make 4000+ seeds as MOST dont produce plants. ever see a whole kernel of corn u didnt chew in ur poop? or whole barries in bear shit?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
There are some raspberry plants that grow in a woods near me. I also have a bird feeder in my yard that gets many visitors. I frequently get small raspberry plants popping up in my yard thanks to my avian friends. Wouldn't it suck to get busted with a pot plant that birds deposited in your yard? No officer I swear it's not mine!

burningfire

Veteran
when you wrote this, it made me think.

so I looked it up.

turns out you were wrong.

I never mentioned trans atlantic bird shit

the quote you decided to post claimed overseas.

the 5 minute comment was in jest because the comment preceding comment mentions the thousands of miles of such voyages.

ctg

Veteran
So the migration of seed is a slow one with birds, they fly 100 miles poop plants grow year or two later bird eats the seed flys 100 miles poops etc. I’m not saying it’s fact that birds brought it to the America’s but it could have happened that way. Bottom line we don’t really know, man learns new lessons everyday. Nature is full of miracles of survival.
-ct-

W

Water-

So the migration of seed is a slow one with birds, they fly 100 miles poop plants grow year or two later bird eats the seed flys 100 miles poops etc. I’m not saying it’s fact that birds brought it to the America’s but it could have happened that way. Bottom line we don’t really know, man learns new lessons everyday. Nature is full of miracles of survival.
-ct-

its true we are constantly learning new things.

last week the oldest evidence of baking bread was pushed back at least 4 thousand years before agriculture.

we know very little of our past