What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inside Out Trees, Silo Op, custom RDWC, water cooled

Ttystikk

The 27 gallon tuffbox based RDWC site, with spacer in the lid. Note the pair of 1" bulkhead fittings near the bottom. Always two, one might clog.

Ttystikk

The manifold for the airless aeration system. Its best feature just might be its simplicity. I'm a big fan of less moving parts!

Ttystikk

Okay, so I've thrown up the bare bones of the op tonight. I'm interested in what folks think. I just realized I don't have a pic of the veg tent yet. Manyana...

Current issues are related to getting big enough plants properly shaped to fill up a whole 25 ft² panel by themselves, and packaging issues relative to getting the right size and number of silos for the size room. Three silos just don't fit in a rectangular box happily, unless length is twice width or more!

Ttystikk

Yes, I'm THAT Ttystikk

Yes, I'm THAT Ttystikk

Looking forward to grow log, I think I remember you from the farm too!

Welcome, your name looks familiar are you a former pharmer?

One and the same. :tiphat: Logic believed one of his buddies when he said I didn't know what I was talking about... I will let you all judge for yourselves.

My work isn't hard to find in that site, either- I'm only the fourth most prolific poster there! The man has dug his own hole as a hypocrite; I'm digging mine as an innovator. It seems I'm welcome everywhere I go!

Ttystikk

FRESH PICS, GET YER FRESH PICTURES RIGHT HERE! DAIRY QUEEN, HOT OFF THE PRESSES! DAY 45!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
lookin good man, that vert canopy is impressive. sounds like you have your system pretty well dialed. its all a bit technical for me but hey i'm still learning. looking forward to more pictures ! welcome to icmag

Ttystikk

lookin good man, that vert canopy is impressive. sounds like you have your system pretty well dialed. its all a bit technical for me but hey i'm still learning. looking forward to more pictures ! welcome to icmag

:laughing: I got you pretty well fooled, then! You're looking at current progress from my very FIRST VERTICAL EFFORT EVER, unless you count trellising string beans in my mommy's garden when I was in grade school, lol!

Seriously, thank you for the compliment. The gear is pretty well thought out, as was the theory. Now for the repeated application of St. Yogi's (Berra) Principle, illustrated as only the man himself could do (because his sayings are all trademarked, lol);

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."

These girls are gorgeous, but they're tiny. At least, tiny by comparison to the trellis they're on, the point being that I'm leaving a lot of surface area underutilized- and that's money being left on the table.

I wanted to get the sexy pics up first, to generate a little interest... but the pithy goodness is in the veg and early stages, as we all know from hard experience! I'll put up some of those pics over the next few days.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
you're right you do have a bit of open space on those screens, but i am very impressed especially since this is your first vert run. how much growing experience do you have before this? Also do you grow any other strains? that Dairy Queen sounds interesting, kind of similar to the Cheesequake i have in my harem.

50State

I think that other forum was right to kick you off their site..... lol You must have put them all to shame and you made them sad and feel bad about their own skills and instead of them getting better it was easier to kick you off. What dolts. I'd like to see your setup or some MS Paint drawings even. Those plants look prime time. I was thinking about making a DWC or RDWC setup. So I'm in the planning stage right now and will stick around to see and read more. Thanks

Ttystikk

you're right you do have a bit of open space on those screens, but i am very impressed especially since this is your first vert run. how much growing experience do you have before this? Also do you grow any other strains? that Dairy Queen sounds interesting, kind of similar to the Cheesequake i have in my harem.

Romulan x Cindy99 = Space Queen, x Cheese = Dairy Queen
Strain equations are the new math, lol

At the time the room came open, I'd just fought off the third and last invasion of russet mites, had a recent scare with the next door neighbor calling the cops on me because of smell (note to self; if 12" fan and 1.25m Can filter isn't enough for an op under 16kW, then WTF do I need, anyway?!)... btw, he waited a year too long to bitch, lol. The cop watched my place for a few, apparently looking for excess traffic, but my place makes a church parking lot look busy.

As if that wasn't enough, my third issue last summer was a detached retina, for which treatment prescribes a very strict regimen of laying with your head in an exact position... for weeks. Not a lot of time to work when you HAVE to be face down and still, or risk losing your eyesight.

SO- gave a grip of girls away right after the cop thing, fearing their imminent return with a warrant which thankfully never came, but how do you know ahead of time?

Bottom line was that after all this chaos, the best plants I had to go in the room were originally topped and trained for a horizontal canopy and were not terribly big, at maybe 24". I twisted the branches to face the trellis and the bulb, and vine clipped them into place.

Part of my strategy is to place the plant itself against the outside of the wire mesh and only allow budding tips through. Wow, it's easy to train my girls now! They're standing up right in front of me, it could not be more convenient.

I vegged these girls in place for two weeks, or until they were finally adjusted to the drastic change in orientation and were putting out branches in all directions. I flipped on Thanksgiving, to be sure to be easy to remember!

For whatever reason, this pheno finishes fast, often in just 7 weeks when run hard...

Yes, I've been at this awhile. This grow represents the culmination of quite a few individual steps, components and continually updated techniques, including equipment design on many levels.

I'm starting a sub thread; Colorado problems. What's a Colorado problem? You'll see...

High temperature the other day at my house was only 57F. In January.

More people want to trim your trim than buy your bud.

"What do you mean, I have a twelve plant limit? Bro, I got more strains than that!"

If everyone brought a joint to smoke, how do we know whose got us which high?

New Belgium... O'Dells... maybe a growler from any of at least 15 brewpubs and taprooms in town... decisions, decisions...

Does indica go better with dark beer or light beer? I can totally never keep that straight!

Hey, will CNN andTHE NEW YORK TIMES quit telling the world about the ski in smoke spot that ME and MY FRIENDS built back in the day... and now there's a fuckin' LINE? Dood!

Ttystikk

As the Farm Turns; ignore unless you like pointless drama, lol

As the Farm Turns; ignore unless you like pointless drama, lol

I think that other forum was right to kick you off their site..... lol You must have put them all to shame and you made them sad and feel bad about their own skills and instead of them getting better it was easier to kick you off. What dolts. I'd like to see your setup or some MS Paint drawings even. Those plants look prime time. I was thinking about making a DWC or RDWC setup. So I'm in the planning stage right now and will stick around to see and read more. Thanks

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Logic runs that site to sell seeds first, last and maybe get a little extra spending money slinging business sponsorships. So many moderators came to me with stories of him doing this to people over and over tells me that he doesn't care- partly because he hasn't thought through how much money he makes from content generated for him- and that he's emotionally fragile and unable to admit it and try to fix things when he's made a mistake.

Instead, he's plain meanspirited, there's no other description for this message;
"********* Community - Error
You have been banned for the following reason: message from logic - your not welcome here please join rollitup."

Keep in mind that I never violated TOU, nor was I ever even accused of doing so. There was some lame excuse making about posting too much(huh?), giving bad advice(no examples cited, though! Funny!) and my favorite, advocating water chilling too much...

My REAL crime was being prolific, popular-and never, ever buying one bean or sticking my nose in their precious breeding forums even once. If I wasn't going to be in their inner circle, they wanted me off THEIR site.

I didn't pick the fight, someone named JACKMAYOFFER did. I was even polite to him when he questioned my credibility and demanded I show picture proof to him on the spot or I shouldn't be giving advice. Classy...

So this guy is inner circle with Logic, and of course has genetics Logic wants, seeds he wants to sell on the site. So JACK throws a tantrum and demands Logic throw me of the site.

Logic hosts a meeting of the moderators in a sort of kangaroo court show and decides I'm to be 'throttled', right before Christmas. What it does is create excess redirects and allows the account's access drastically- while still showing everything apparently normal and the member in good standing!

Can you believe he did this to me with no warning, no notice and right before Christmas?! And he was proud of it when he told the mods! I guess he's the big rooster over there, but too chickenheaded to realize there is no such thing as keeping secrets on a forum website.
[END of DRAMA] Now back to your questions;
I made this thread to collate and display the equipment, setup and know-how I'm accumulating rapidly as I continue my vertical project. Check back often, I got lots and lots and Lots and LOTS more where this came from!

If you want to run RDWC, buy your chiller first. Bulkhead fittings are cheap and scrounging five gallon buckets is FREE, that's how I got all of mine! I understand that chillers are spendy bits of kit- but if you want to run RDWC in a sealed room, a big water chiller to cool it all is necessary to keep the forces of slime and sorrow at bay. I'm about to start a thread in whatever section there is here about water chilling and its advantages. Short version is that it's more efficient and indeed does the work of separate chiller, AC AND dehuey... combined.

seebobski

well Ttystick I have been on both these forms for a long time and never have been banned or worn ! Play nice or you will be banned from this one is well!

Ttystikk

well Ttystick I have been on both these forms for a long time and never have been banned or worn ! Play nice or you will be banned from this one is well!

That's just it- I was never anything but civil... I think that pissed JACK off more than anything else, lol

Ttystikk

Thought I would discuss my veg today. I run a multi stage system, where everything moves every two weeks. I cut clones only once a month because I see no reason for the extra busywork.

Once rooted, babies are transplanted into 4" square pots and placed in the first stage, a 3x3' ebb n flood table I call 'the Bullpen.' This is where I keep moms and assemble groups of girls into batches to send through the system. Once I decide on a group and Moving Day rolls around...

I pot up the chosen batch into 8" netpot bucket kids, and carry them to stage 2, 6 sites of RDWC under a 130W 'Xtreme LED'. They run there for two weeks, stage 3 moves next door under a 400W HPS for another two weeks and then moved yet again, this time for two weeks under stage four's 1kW MH before going into a bloom room.

The veg tent is not sealed, I struggle to keep RH above 40%, each stage is open and adjacent to the next so there is plenty of cross lighting between stages.

The near future holds a serious revamp, where stage four becomes its own bloom room; this so I can flip a long strain earlier or a short finisher later and still have them fully rotten in their allotted time.

Pics when I feel up to fighting with the photo album.