What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long term storage -vacuum sealed jars in the freezer?

getbuck

There is some talk about long term storage but nothing recent so I'd like to hear some recent experiences. How do you store your dope long term? Whats to longest you've been able to keep your stash decent?

I'm not what you'd call a regular smoker. I tend to smoke for a couple of weeks then take some weeks/months off. I grow for personal use only, and don't have a setup where I can grow continuously all year round, so my problem is how to store weed for the long term. I'm currently at the end of a cycle that will probably yield me an amount lasting several years with my smoking frequency.

I have a batch currently one year old thats in mason jars in a chest freezer. So far the potency / flavour has not been diminished at least to my palate.

I've been looking at vacuum sealed food bags but the idea of crushing my stash scares me. How does this idea sound to you guys: Weed in mason jars, a few holes poked at the lid, then sealing the whole jar in a plastic vacuum bag (or two) and throwing the jar in the freezer?

Logic here is that the weed wont get crushed inside the jar, and the holes will able the air to get sucked out completely, resulting in a very tight vacuum seal.

I know I can't be the only one who has the need to store weed for long periods of time for personal use!

getbuck

I'm also considering getting some stand-up mylar bags, putting the mason jars in them (with holes in the lids) and dumping some oxygen absorbers + heat sealing the bag. Apparently the oxygen absorbers take much more oxygen out of the bag than using a vacuum sealing machine like a foodsealer etc...

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Getbuck vacuum bags will store your weed nice and fresh, and probably the stash will last years in the freezer in vacuum bags.

No need to worry about crushing the buds, because just below this new thread of yours is a long running discussion about the mind-blowing benefits of allowing slightly damp, COMPRESSED weed to ferment in vacuum bags.

I strongly urge you to read Tangwena's thread on Malawiaan cob making, so as to allay your concerns about compressing the weed for storage. Even if you compress perfectly dry weed, to ensure there is NO fermentation, your stash will emerge from the freezer with some of the most fragrant aroma you can imagine, with potency boosted as well.

getbuck

Not sure if i'm comfortable in wrapping my stuff in plastic... theres the poisonous shit in plastic leeching into my medicine fear in my head...

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Dang, I wish you hadn't mentioned that leeching issue with plastics, because in reality there is no proof that this plastic method is safe for stash storage.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Plastics no bueno for long term storage of items meant
for human consumption, lots of data available to confirm this.

i keep my buds/trim, and food items, long term in glass
or steel in the freezer.

It's my body, and as much as I try to mess it it up with my
bad habits, I learned that passive introduction of harmful
chemicals is a Bozo no-no.

getbuck

I recently read a few studies citing that even the BPA free plastics leach nasty chemicals, some bpa/phalate-free ones even worse than "regular" plastics... Not going to risk it. My harvest was good and is now in paper bags after being hung for a few days. Going to stick them in the fridge for a freezer-cure (see the topic on this subforum, awesome stuff) and then to mason jars in the freezer for long term storage unless I come across something more permanent...

atk7

lids

lids

^^^ Doesn't that require special lids too?

No I have the jar adapter for mason jars and it just uses the normal canning lids. I have an adaptor for both the large mouth jars and the small mouth jars I just popped a jar I have had stored for two years and the weed is in great shape and potency does not seem that much less than when I jarred it up . Ps I prefer using the large mouth jars .

atk7

Another thing for long term in jars is moisture content. To avoid mold use a hygrometer and jar up when it is around 50-55% . I cure it first also for a month first at about 55-60%. Once your moisture drops below 55 the cure stops. Then I jar and vacuum seal the jars

getbuck

Another thing for long term in jars is moisture content. To avoid mold use a hygrometer and jar up when it is around 50-55% . I cure it first also for a month first at about 55-60%. Once your moisture drops below 55 the cure stops. Then I jar and vacuum seal the jars

Is mold an issue with higher moisture even if you vacuum seal it and freeze it? So you use the food saver vacuum sealer with the mason jar attachment and freeze you stuff? I might have to look into it.

atk7

Is mold an issue with higher moisture even if you vacuum seal it and freeze it? So you use the food saver vacuum sealer with the mason jar attachment and freeze you stuff? I might have to look into it.

I don't think mold an issue while it is frozen it's after it's thawed that I worry about I have never had trouble with it so far, but I have kept a few jars in a root cellar environment, cool dark, as a comparison experiment, and that has held up well also , as wife not pleased when I take up too much freezer space. And yes the food saver w jar attachment is what I use. I did see another thread where people were also flooding their jars or bags with nitrogen gas to purge out all the oxygen for long term storage with good success also.

Last edited:

IgmarBudman

If you don't want to, or have the ability to vacuum seal the jars, then just drop an oxygen absorber into the jar and put the lid on. Oxygen absorbers are used when sealing food for long term storage and totally remove any oxygen from the remaining air. You can buy a pack of 100 at walmart for $6.

minds_I

Veteran
I use 1/2 gallon glass jars stuffed with lightly trimmed (just the big fans, the budleaves) with w/ boveda packs....works great

oldbootz

Veteran
i've got some frozen trim for hashing that i've forgotten about for around 2 years and it seems fine. smells the same as when it went in. i froze it fresh.

Drewsif

I love it. People worried about vaccum bags ruining their bud. While its absorbing their axe body spray,and probably taste like plastic from flower nutes anyway.

Reminds me of dispensary reviews griping about the presence of a seed, when the weed is full of mold pesticides and sugar sprays.

Not calling anyone out. Its just funny how much bud smells like Ona gel and the growers "only use raws" to smoke.

John89Miller

Hey. I'm raw. I often frost different kinds of vegetables, fruits and root vegetables. For a long time I could not find a freezer suitable for the size and quality of the freezing. I chose and bought it here https://grapefrost.com/standing-deep-freezer/ You will find here what you need. There are models in which you can set the mode and temperature on certain boxes and shelves.

Latest posts

Latest posts