What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpin production according to nutrients

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had a thought pass through my cranium earlier and it made me wonder...

Do cannabis terpin profiles change with changes in nutrients used to grow the plants?

In other words,
How are terpin profiles effected by using different nutes?

I don't have the $, various nutes or the space to test this so I'm interested if anybody has done such experiments & had finished product tested via GCMS or other method to determin if there are any differences.

The proper experiment would use clones in the same environmentonly using different nutrients.

(If this is in the wrong section, i apologize in advanve & ask that it be placed in it's proper location.)

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
GHS has those terpene (not terpin, that's a synonym for a certain monoterpene) profiles on their website wherein they list hydro versus soil or similar... but I don't know if there's a correlation... (didn't look nor though too hard :) ).

shaggyballs

Veteran

Do cannabis terpin profiles change with changes in nutrients used to grow the plants?

In other words,

I don't have the $, various nutes or the space to test this so I'm interested if anybody has done such experiments & had finished product tested via GCMS or other method to determin if there are any differences.

The proper experiment would use clones in the same environmentonly using different nutrients.

(If this is in the wrong section, i apologize in advanve & ask that it be placed in it's proper location.)

No science, but I say yes, I see the same clone grown in another's grow room with different nute and taste smell and look are are not the same.

But I also feel it is complete environment as well as what is fed to the plant.
Not just different NPK!
shag

i get a different taste and aroma from using either honey mollases or maple syrup during the flowering cycle.never had anything tested though,but there is def a difference

At the local grow store the owner told me that adding MiraGro to his plants created a different terpene profile. He said he had his plants tested before and after and each strain tested with something different then previous results before the MiraGro. Obviously I didn't see the results, so I don't know if he was just trying to push product on me or if it really does change the terpenes. It would not surprise me though that if the plant is fed a certain diet vs another that it would metabolize things differently creating a different spectrum of terpenes.

JointOperation

.. the entire.. terpene and cannabinoid profile is probably different with any environmental factor.. including light intensity and spectrum.. temp .. humidity.. nutrients.. medium.. length of photoperiod.. if its all 1 strain. or run with multiple strains in a room..

outdoors and indoors same strain. kinda prove that ..

FatherEarth

Veteran
Sulfur is a known input that influences terpene production...
I believe soil microbiology also plays a role in the full terpene profile. Not only that but a nutrient battery that allows the plant to utilize the nutrients it requires when it needs them most vs force fed when we think it needs whatever magic terpene potion available at the grow store. ... Proton Nuclear magnetic resonance appears to be the way to test for terpene profiles without using heat...chromatography uses heat thus alters the true profile...

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
What about all those bottles at hydro shops with cartoon characters on the label that state their product will "increase resin production"? Some do and some don't.

What about all those bottles at hydro shops with cartoon characters on the label that state their product will "increase resin production"? Some do and some don't.

Most likely they all do, because the ingredients causing the increase are cheap.
That is why you shouldn't use them IMO, they significantly increase THC content at the cost of other cannabinoïds and terpenes.
That makes your cannabis so couchlock.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Then I think we answered the OP's question....yes and no.

BTW, I can attest that GrowMore's Avalanche does increase resin production and provides more aromatics to the end product. I have not tested terpene profiles of "with and without", so I can not tell you which terpene increased nor to what level...but there definitely was an increase of something nice! And I am all about flavors and aromas....potency is always assumed.

sulfer can affect the terpene profile?wow!i use a liquid shit mixture on my plants and i had some in a container that i forgot about for a couple days,and when i went to use it it had a wicked sulfer smell to it.i was nevous to water with it so i only used it on 2 plants.damn did those plants turn out stinky.i was afraid it was going to kill them but they turned out really good.i have always heard not to store teas and nuites for more than a day but it was at least 2 or 3 sitting in the jug festering.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
... Proton Nuclear magnetic resonance appears to be the way to test for terpene profiles without using heat...chromatography uses heat thus alters the true profile...
1H-NMR is a method of detection (structure determination) whereas chromatography is a family of methods for separation. In some cases it is indeed possible to determine the absolute amounts of constituents in a mixture. Usually it's only relative amounts and may not work well with plant extracts (I see problems with a bunch of structurally related terpenes). As the sample has to be in a deuterated solvent, some sample preparation is usually needed which, in case of volatile constituents, is no good.
The only chromatography which needs high temperatures is GC and sometimes MS (though that doesn't disturb in the latter case), all the others (TLC, open column, HPLC, CCC etc.) can work with ambient temps.
The 'best' method, if there is just one, would be UPLC-MS (TOF or MS/MS or some other fancy shmancy stuff) or better put a split in between and pump a fraction into a 1 gigahertz cryo-capillary NMR (1H and 13C). That way, you get directly the structures of all constituents as well :D .

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank yall for your answers.
K+ to all

One day... When I have the capacity... I'd like to have some samples tested.

One thing I've seen common with all those frost boosters...
KELP EXTRACTS.
:tiphat:

Terpenes are organic molecules, specifically hydrocarbons.These are derived biosynthetic ally from isoprene units ( 2-methyl-1,3-butadiene) who's molecular formula is C5 H10.These molecules are the result of enzymatic mechanisms and the enzymes responsible are a product of particular genes being expressed. In other words ITS ALL IN THE GENES!! You can't make an orange taste/smell like a strawberry no matter what nutrient brand or concoction you decide to use. Sure, environmental factors come into play, but these factors modulate gene expression or enzymatic pathways not the smell/aroma directly.Phosphorus has more to do with the terpene profile and production of cannabis than sulfur ever would as their precursor is geranyl pyrophosphate.

plants can be affected by whats grown near them.grow a tomato plant next to basil or do basil and peppers theres a difference.the flavor and more importantly the aroma will be increased,and imo they take on the essence of one another.theres many other companion plantings that will do this.mint under apple trees or borage under them.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sulfur is a known input that influences terpene production...
I believe soil microbiology also plays a role in the full terpene profile. Not only that but a nutrient battery that allows the plant to utilize the nutrients it requires when it needs them most vs force fed when we think it needs whatever magic terpene potion available at the grow store. ... Proton Nuclear magnetic resonance appears to be the way to test for terpene profiles without using heat...chromatography uses heat thus alters the true profile...

Does that mean we need to stop smoking our Cannabis as that alters the terpenes? Or test the terpenes with GC which is more like what happens to Cannabis terpenes in a joint or pipe?
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I am not sure but I suspect only the profile is altered, not new or different terpenes with different nutrients or environments, just different %'s in the profile.
-SamS

In other words,

Good point there sam….vaping is a better method if you want to retain the integrity of flavor/aroma profile of your your buds, also supercritical CO2 extractions(eden labs) or winterizing (cold ethanol).These are volatile compounds with relatively low boiling points. Part of the reason you might want to use A/C with indoor high grade is to prevent the volatilization of these terpenoids as much as possible.