What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why all the hate with Autoflowers?

JointOperation

Hello Pinkus, I hope you don't mind me sharing my opinions regarding your post.

When most people think of Cannabis potency, THC levels are obviously what is used as a standard measure. I think it is misleading to only judge a plants potency strictly on THC level.

I know from my own personal research that C. Ruderalis does in fact contain minute amounts of THC. Maybe 1-5% at best.

Also, let us not forget that THC is not the only Cannabanoid that determines the kind of high we get.

I had pure 100% THC injected straight into my blood stream though an IV once many years ago...long story, paid research....But let me tell you, I thought I was going psychotic. It is not a fun high and is absolutely terrifying without the other Cannabanoids (CBD/CBN/etc) present.

It is well known by now that CBD/CBN all have a direct influence on the kind of high/potency we achieve in conjunction with THC.

CBD can help with anxiety/paranoia/insomnia/pain managment/etc and it also helps you feel relaxed/calm compared to injecting pure THC or a pure Sativa variant (high THC/THC-A; low CBD/CBN).

CBN is semi-psychoactive with 10% of the stregnth of THC/helps reduce blood pressure/has anti-depressant properties/etc.

C. Ruderalis is know to have high amounts CBD/CBN which, IMHO, is a great way to get high when crossed with a high THC photo strain.

It, in my opinion, adds personality to the high. Some people want to get that racy/speedy high. Great, go smoke an African strain. Some people want a balanced high with proportionate amounts of a full Cannabanoid profile.

I dunno, I just took some huge hits off a gravity bong so my mind is all over the place. :dance013:

agreed.. I had given 2 clones of the same strain different seeds.. to a friend wen he left to go back to Colorado.. he got back.. had them tested .. clone a was 17.5 thc. 1.1 cbd.. and at the time they weren't testing for terpenes.. clone b was 20 thc and 1.5cbd .. and clone A.. stunk like a bitch.. Clone B was frostier.. but not as stinky.. and Clone A had the better high of the 2..

that's when I stopped caring strictly about THC.. and started to give a shit about terpenes.. and other cannabinoids ..

its like.. look up wat the terpenes effects are without thc and cannibinoids.. and find what effect your looking for.. then find the strains that contain that .. and you will find strains that u like more then high thc strains for sure..

its all personal pref tho.. some like downer bud some upper.. some inbetween.. lol

agito

We are talking like 18%+ thc autos dont exist in the market. There not going to need 100's of years of line breeding to get them there if anything stability is the issue. So your getting high thc in every plant.
Heres the lab test on 1 that came out about 5 years back
20.1%,
with 1.1 CBD, and 1.1 CBN
Tested By Micannalytics.com so is potency that still far fetched. There countless other ones with 3rd party tests in the high teens.

sprinkl

Veteran
me personally I spent over 800$ on auto seeds.. grew them all .. and made a few seeds with them.. but none yielded DICK.. but this was 2 years ago.. and I said to myself.. id rather find a fast flowering photo.. then a big yielding auto.. the auto game is great for breeders.. they sell wayyy more seeds to the same people over and over again once someone finds a auto they like.

May I ask which strains you tried? The super autos, which have the sativa stretch and length of preflower/flower period grow quite big and yield a lot.
Check out this thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=258708&page=11

Lbh, a member here, breeds some massive auto hazes/asian sativas as well. I saw pics of auto's that were 3-4 m in height!

I can understand the idea that early photo's are just as good or better. But ever since growing my first auto's i realized, plants flowering during the hottest months of the year with the most light hours > plants that start flowering in the hottest month(july, august) and finish in some of the wettest, cloudiest and a lot colder months (september, october). The terpenoid content just has to be way bigger!

I've seen photo buds only once that were comparable to indoors, purple maroc, they finished the first week of september. I'm growing them now in big containers and no way they'll finish as early. Theres too much factors with photo plants, early genes arent stable or the plant has to be rootbound, running low on nitrogen etc..

Im(limited)e early photo breeding work hasnt been succesful enough. I have yet to try hfh and some other breeders though. A stable strain that consistently finishes the beginning of sept I hope to find one day...

GonjaLove

Its all personal preference...i would rather have a feminised seed thats not autoflower and give it like a week veg then flip it to 12/12. Also auto's require a long light cycle so unless your doing a whole room of auto's, i dont feel its worth it

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
We are talking like 18%+ thc autos dont exist in the market. There not going to need 100's of years of line breeding to get them there if anything stability is the issue. So your getting high thc in every plant.
Heres the lab test on 1 that came out about 5 years back
20.1%,
with 1.1 CBD, and 1.1 CBN
Tested By Micannalytics.com so is potency that still far fetched. There countless other ones with 3rd party tests in the high teens.

And there are photoperiod strains in the high 20's and low 30's. And in my experience with Think Different, La Diva, Afghan Kush Ryder and Blue Mammoth they are pretty variable in terms of line stability.

drgr33nuk

I think autoflowering strains got a lot of stick because like anything in this industry everyones in a rush to get products to the shelves first and sometime (more than less) this results in a unfinished product being shoved down your throat that won't perform as well as they first anticipated.

Then they use the paying customer to beta test products and submit feedback until manufacturing quality / techniques improve and you get something usable. Trouble is this always end up in bad press and skeptical customers. I bet 99% of members have been caught by sales patter at least once :D

pinkus

Veteran
In Nigeria, there is a landrace African IBL variety that will flower under 18 hours of light.

Since Nigeria NEVER EVER EVER EVER sees an 18 hour night or light, how do you know this and how would it evolve? I'm calling bs.

Texan

Since Nigeria NEVER EVER EVER EVER sees an 18 hour night or light, how do you know this and how would it evolve? I'm calling bs.

I think it's related to a strain called Nigerian Nightmare. I didn't mean 18 hours set in stone. That strain shows autoflowering traits meaning it does not need 12 hours of light to flower.

It's not BS because I have been to Nigeria and have smoked said bud and I have personally grown that strain and flowered with well over 15 hours of light a day.

I got tons of seeds of this strain. If you still think I'm BSing you, PM me and I'll send you some seeds for free to grow out for yourself.

pinkus

Veteran
It's not BS because I have been to Nigeria and have smoked said bud and I have personally grown that strain and flowered with well over 15 hours of light a day.

Nigeria is between the equator and the tropic of cancer. in fact it's very close to the equator and the days NEVER get longer than 14 hours or so. For instance in Abuja (nigerian capital) today the day length is 12 hours and 36 minutes. Even accounting for twilight it's 13h 21 min, and it's mid summer.

BTW, I know Texans like their tall tales... as that's where I sleep :shooty:

Thank you for the offer. I think it's a no no here... and nobody here breaks rules right? I'd love some nigerian nightmare and it might even auto-flower. Everything I've been spewing is regarding the stuff from the russian steppes, the stuff that AFAIK wasn't used by folks for consciousness expanding. As far as balancing out the high, there were plenty of drug varieties out there that had the other cannabinoids.

If people want autos that's great. I'm thinking of some to fill some gaps. The whole breeding scheme HAS to be different, and it's a relatively new thing. I think it may have been this thread that I said I'd like to have a plant that would mature on the porch.

Last edited:

agito

Seems appropriate this applys to normal photo strains.

"CRITICAL LIGHT PERIOD

The 12-12 formula has been accepted without question by growers all over the world. Probably one of the reasons for this was my discussion of the technique in some of my early books. The 12-12 regimen was selected because my co-author and I reasoned that no matter what critical period a variety might have, given 12 hours of darkness it would flower. However, most marijuana varieties need fewer than 12 hours of darkness to flower.

If marijuana plants grown outdoors required a 12-hour dark period to flower, they would not be induced to start flowering until September 21, the first day of autumn, when day and night are equal length. They would ripen 6-8 weeks later. In real life most modern varieties ripen between early September and late October. Budding was triggered 6-8 weeks earlier. For instance, an eight-week variety that requires 55 days from forcing to maturity, which would normally ripen on October 1st, would start flowering August 1. At that date in San Francisco, sunrise occurs at 5:14 and sunset at 19:18, a total of 14 hours 4 minutes. Dawn and dusk add another 15 minutes of red light. Plants use the absence of this spectrum to measure the dark period. The total lit period came to about 14:20, leaving 9:40 minutes of darkness. The critical period for this plant was 9 hours 40 minutes. If it were given just 10 hours of dark period daily indoors, rather than 12 hours, it would still flower.

Gardeners growing outdoors who discover the critical time needed to induce flowering can use this information to get more efficient use of their indoor garden. Currently, plants grown under a 12/12 cycle spend half their time in the dark. If the plants have a critical flowering time of, for instance, 10 hours of darkness daily, they can be provided 14 rather than 12 hours of light each day so that they receive almost 17% more energy which they use to produce sugars used for more and faster growth." Ed Rosenthal

attachment.php

Blue Himalayan Diesel - Breeder is stich. Took roughly 90 days from seed to harvest. Grown in CoCo drip system.

Attachments

• DSC01847.jpg
    DSC01847.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 17

pinkus

Veteran
RE: ed's day length stuff. I've run NL and the like @14/10 and it produced really well. This will extend flowering times. These days I have very little indica in the mix on at least a few plants so I run 11/13 or similar.

BTW, it's the guy he didn't mention by name (Mel Frank) that's the brains behind that first book. A MUCH better writer than Ed IMO.

Texan

Nigeria is between the equator and the tropic of cancer. in fact it's very close to the equator and the days NEVER get longer than 14 hours or so. For instance in Abuja (nigerian capital) today the day length is 12 hours and 36 minutes. Even accounting for twilight it's 13h 21 min, and it's mid summer.

BTW, I know Texans like their tall tales... as that's where I sleep :shooty:

Thank you for the offer. I think it's a no no here... and nobody here breaks rules right? I'd love some nigerian nightmare and it might even auto-flower. Everything I've been spewing is regarding the stuff from the russian steppes, the stuff that AFAIK wasn't used by folks for consciousness expanding. As far as balancing out the high, there were plenty of drug varieties out there that had the other cannabinoids.

If people want autos that's great. I'm thinking of some to fill some gaps. The whole breeding scheme HAS to be different, and it's a relatively new thing. I think it may have been this thread that I said I'd like to have a plant that would mature on the porch.

What does being from Texas have to do with anything? I don't appreciate you calling me a liar. I live in Alaska now working for O&G. Are you going to tell me I can't flower my Nigerian beans here? Well no, because I did and I'm smoking it now. Besides, I never said I grew the plants in Nigeria.

I was trying to be polite and share my opinions and personal experiences but it seems you don't like to be hear anything that you don't personally agree with.

pinkus

Veteran
What does being from Texas have to do with anything? I don't appreciate you calling me a liar.

All i've said was your claim of daylight hours is impossible, which it is because of nigeria's position on the globe. your handle is "texan", hence the tall tales remark. I didn't use any "L" word brother.

The plants you grow may be the best and I hope they are. I'm nit picking on one claim that is physically impossible... that's all. trying to be light about it because really this is not a big deal. peace

Texan

All i've said was your claim of daylight hours is impossible, which it is because of nigeria's position on the globe. your handle is "texan", hence the tall tales remark. I didn't use any "L" word brother.

The plants you grow may be the best and I hope they are. I'm nit picking on one claim that is physically impossible... that's all. trying to be light about it because really this is not a big deal. peace

First of all, I didn't "claim" that Nigeria has 18 plus hours of light. I said that the Nigerian genetics will flower under that light regimen.

Second, you're right, you didn't use any "L" words. But you did insinuate that I am lying by calling my personal hands on experience BS. You respond in a very condescending manner as if you know everything and I know nothing.

It's one thing to be a devils advocate and try to interject but you don't do that.

Anyway, this is the internet. You can sit behind a computer screen and say whatever the fuck you want.

I'll keep smoking my bullshit tall tale story Nigerian weed that never flowered.

DSC_0024-1.jpg

pinkus

Veteran
sure seemed like you were claiming you witnessed this thing firsthand in nigeria. struck me as a jack-a-lope tail.

that sure enough looks good enough to smoke.

EDIT: just went back and re-read. I combine you and another guys posts. DOH! I apologize.

skeeno

first time grower i have two autoflowers 1 purple low ryder 1 purple kush about 3 weeks old doing ok do in ff OF. should i give them any grow big?